Yesterday my bridge pickup just stopped working properly on my Les Paul Standard. The neck works fine but the bridge only can produce a tiny bit of sound. I've opened it up and can't see any problems and I phoned my guitar teacher and he told me to spray the toggle switch with WD-40 because it may be due to a build up of dirt so I done that but still nothing. Anyone got any other ideas or what it might be? Is my pickup dead?
check the wires, they might be loose or the solder might have loosened meaning the current is flowing properly to the pickup.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I doubt the pickup is dead, it's much more likely an issue with the toggle switch. I'd take it to your local guitar store and get it checked out, probably just needs a new toggle switch
i never suggested the pickup was dead, just that the wire came loose.

but yeah, check the toggle switch.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

mate i have exactly the same problem with my les paul studio, the difference is, its the neck pickup that's dodgy, but the funny thing is, it sometimes works. If i switch to that pickup very slowly... it works! otherwise, it doesn't... i havne't had time to get it fixed though.... (after 3 yearslol!)

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
I have this exact same problem...Just suddenly cut out and if you turn the amp really really loud you can just about here it. We open her up and checked all the wires and everything seems perfect, We even open the pickups up but everything was hunky dory in there too.
Luckily I was actually thinking of upgrading the pickups in like 2 weeks...but still....Very annoying...
sounds like a toggle switch wiring problem to me, make sure the solder is covering the wire completely so the current can get through.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

My dad has just had a look at it and he thinks its the toggle switch because the wiring is gine but something to do with the switch not doing someething properly. I can't remember what he said!
Dry solder joints? Since Lead based solders were banned the new alloy ones are much more likely to give trouble. Make up a short jump wire and try holding that in position across the joins on the switch. If the pickup comes to life you have isolated the problem. (Yes you can do this with it plugged in.) If that finds the problem it is an easy solder job to re-melt the alloy and add a little more to improve the join. Better still, melt the existing stuff off and re-make the join using a good flux and solder to ensure a quality job.