I'm looking for a new amp and pedal(s), mainly for band practice, but potentially for gigging.
I play a lot of pop-rock/progressive-metal/post-grungey sort of thing in my bands - very Paramore-esque but with a bit more of a heavier edge.
At the moment, I own: (guitars) Belman Flat Top Deluxe (a bit like a Les Paul), Squier Affinity Strat and (amp) Fender G-Dec Junior.

I would like to point out here that I know very, very little about guitar gear so even if you can't give me an amp recommendation, some answers to my questions would be heavily appreciated. I am aware that the first two amps I have listed below are heads. My first question is: are heads pre-amps - that is, do they make any noise on their own or do I need to have a cab as well? Second question: what makes a combo amp a combo amp? Third question: what is the difference between combo and solid state? Fourth question: do effects pedals work with any amp?

The amps I've been looking at are the Marshall JCM-2000 DSL 100, Mesa Dual Rec, Crate GT212 and Randall RG100SC but I'm a bit foggy on the details of each amp because there is only so much that you can get out of reviews - they don't tend to be too specific to the information I'm after.

I'm after an amp that is capable of producing:
1. most importantly, a metal-ish tone that sound absolutely perfect for playing (in order of priority) The Butterfly Effect, Paramore, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Muse, Trivium, Incubus, 3 Doors Down, RATM.
2. a pop-rocky sound you would get in Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson etc
3. a decent clean sound that would suit the artists listed above, particularly Paramore; doesn't have to be exceptional but definitely nothing muddy - I don't like the clean sound of the Crate GT212
4. not essential, a blues rock sound like that of more recent John Mayer stuff

I'm not particularly fussy about what type of amp (tube, head, cab, solid state blah blah blah etc etc) just as long as i can do, at the very least, 1 and 3 and i can practise with it in a band. I would also like to keep the total amp price below $1500 AUD, but give me all your recommendations anyway.

As for pedals:
I've looked at the Boss DD-20 Giga Delay (is there anything that can do a similar job for cheaper?) and the Digitech Whammy (can I get a good octave pedal for cheaper?). I'm not very sure about ds/od from pedals so this might also influence what amp I get.
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Jan 11, 2009,
ok im gonna approach your first mistake, 'are heads preamps?'
wrong
that has nothing to do with whether you need a cab, the problem is it has no speakers for output, so yes you need a cab ALWAYS when playing with a head.
a combo amp is an amp that has the head attached to the cab. ie. speakers internal.
DSL - Would be my choice, good overdrive with a fair amount of headroom for clean and good with effects, as well as being reasonably priced
Dual Rec - Very expensive, heaps more distortion than you will need playing what you play
Randall - Never played the amp but I would reckon is the same as the Mesa, too much gain or what you need and rather pricey
Crate - Solid state Crates are simply awful. Hairdryer distortion and a twangy clean channel

I would say go for a combo DSL as you simply don't need a halfstack unless you are about to play to Wembley
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
DSL - Would be my choice, good overdrive with a fair amount of headroom for clean and good with effects, as well as being reasonably priced
Dual Rec - Very expensive, heaps more distortion than you will need playing what you play
Randall - Never played the amp but I would reckon is the same as the Mesa, too much gain or what you need and rather pricey
Crate - Solid state Crates are simply awful. Hairdryer distortion and a twangy clean channel

I would say go for a combo DSL as you simply don't need a halfstack unless you are about to play to Wembley

truer words were never spoken crusader.
i too recomend the dsl40 combo, 40w is all you need for practice and gigging unless your going straight to arenas, plus ive played one pretty extensively and it was pretty sweet, if i hadnt found my 900 id have gotten one.
also for pedals look into a good od pedal.