Hey everyone. I have decided that my next guitar needs to be one that is well suited for metal and dropped tunings. I have heard alot about Ibanez but have always enjoyed the look of a Dean ML and the sound of Pantera. I searched youtube and find that most of the Dean MLs played on there sound very muddy/trashy and alot of the Ibanez guitars sound very clear and crisp. I was wondering if Dean MLs were notorious for a muddy sound or if the majority of people on youtube with MLs just have crappy settings for their distortions and whatnot. You see I live in the middle of no where in alaska so I dont have any access to either of these kinds of guitars so your opinions really matter.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
I think you should ask yourself the question: Is the only style I wanna play 'metal'?

Maybe youll want a Jimi Hendrix or BB King sound later, then you may regret you got a Dean. And when it comes to looks, Ibanez is more neutral so youre not too metal, and not too rock or anything. Dean is straight in-your-face metal!

I Hope this helped
''I just like breakdowns..''
get a dean, i personally like deans better i played some ibanez and they were total **** for playing ,deans sound really good, youtube people probably had ****ty amps/recording/settings one or all of the above. go with dean, u wont be dissapointed
Shredder Guitar wrote:

what the hell "even my chains...."

yeah, we dont wanna hear about your sexual devices, or anything of that matter.
i've not enjoyed any ML ive played (im sure there are nice ones but the dimebag ones are not my cup of tea especially with the licensed floyd)
if you can get a high end ibanez get it, avoid the edge 3 tremelo but yes i consider most ibanez' to be higher quality then the deans in their price range.
Ibanezes have no soul IMO. but my brother bought a £200 dean and the fret job on it is terrible - half the notes beyond the 12th fret are missing.

don't listen to me though - I'm a bassist!
Quote by BugrahanGedik
I think you should ask yourself the question: Is the only style I wanna play 'metal'?

Maybe youll want a Jimi Hendrix or BB King sound later, then you may regret you got a Dean. And when it comes to looks, Ibanez is more neutral so youre not too metal, and not too rock or anything. Dean is straight in-your-face metal!

I Hope this helped

see thats the thing, The reason why I want a metal guitar is because I already have a neutral guitar (prs billy martin se) but it doesnt handle drop tunings and such too well. The sound isnt amazing when playing za metalz
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
A Dean ML looks more ****in awesome than any Ibanez
Last edited by DeftRed at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by DeftRed
the best thing to do is go to a guitar shop and TRY it yourself.But if i were you, id get a Dean!

didnt read that he cant huh?
deans are 'cool' shapes and junk but the sound quality isnt usually to good, the vendetta series is meant to be nice though so if i were to recomend one itd be one of those.
i was playing my ibanez a while back (rg350 not very good in comparison to other ibanez') and i was surprsed how versatile it was, i stopped playing it when i got my les paul but it's still a great guitar if it were set up well.
I'd go with an Ibanez over Dean, Dean are far too over priced and they have really crappy hardware. An Ibanez would be alot better made and way more versatile.

Try having a look into other Brands too like Jackson Ibanez and Schecter
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
er..i would go with ibanez, for reason the first guy said, do you only wanna play metal?

i personally think ibanez is more versatile. souless yes.. but you can work round that.

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
The Ibanez is a very versatile guitar. I used to think like you, and got a guitar with no whammy. Now i can't play half the experimental stuff i want to. In addition, Ibanez use quality wood on pretty much all of their guitars, the necks are pretty tough. So i'd go with Ibanez.
Buy an S series Ibanez.
Better then any Dean IMO [may be a few exceptions, but for mid priced guitar, Ibanez > Dean], can play any, and all, styles, and doesn't look OTT.

You can play an S series in a funk band, or a jazz band, and not look stupid. You can't with the ML.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
So.... we need to establish a few rules before we start debating otherwise we get silly comparisons like "z0mg the Dean Time Anniversary models smoke the Ibanez RG3xx series".

1) What budget are you looking at roughly?
2) What are you currently using rig wise? (Guitar, amp, pedals etc.)
3) What sound are you after?
4) Do you need a trem?
5) Do you plan on changing tunings on a regular basis?
6) Do you need versatility?
My 79 silverburst will play anything, not just "metal" (whatever that means anymore since there's so many different styles). With a POD I get great bluesy stuff with a bassman amp model, Pink Floyd with the HI-Watt, Zepplin with a SLO etc. These guys that say they are just for "metal" probably have never played one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Depends how much you're going to spend on it. If its not enough to get a Ibanez feel lifeless, everyone that i've held feels like a Toy not a guitar. My Wesley feels way more solid than most ibanez guitars. If your buying new defo go DEAN, they have the best necks around aswell.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Dude i had exactly the same dilemma.
They are two completely different guitars, the rule is, if you want to be versatile, buy an ibanez. All things metal, you can choose out of the both.
Both companies are pretty much on par, except that dean is slightly more harmful to the pocket.

I couldnt choose, so i decided to go with both
Ibanez rgr321ex, and a Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee

\m/
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Ibanez imo. Honestly, i have never actually played a dean that i would consider buying. They're just not that good.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
With sound Its all about the Amp and Effects and the person attached to the fingers, I have a Jet black dean razorback V that i bought off E-bay New for $310 US (shipping included :P) it is the model with the dimebucker just like this but all black http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=511851 . I have been playing guitar for about 20 years and have owned Ibanez, Gibson,ESP,Fender,Jackson's. It is by far one of the best Guitars I have ever played I can noodle for hours w/o feeling any Fatigue. Dont let the looks fool you you can also play clean and it can produce a very nice Blues sound. (if your going to play metal get good at blues :P) The V shaped neck allows for Fast playing its weird at first if never played a V shaped neck but once you get used to it its hard to go back to the standard D shape. Did I Mention I tuned his badboy axe Nov22nd or the 23rd and havnt had to tune it since and i play heavy at least an hour a day? There are alot of Dean haters here on the forums Most due to price other due to looks,

If there were 2 things I would change that would be Replacing the neck pickup with a SD59 and putting on a real floyd, But the licensed of this model is prob the best licensed I have ever used like I said it stays in tune like a tank and the metal dosnt seem cheap.

If there was a 2nd guitar I would have to choose it would be the schecter c1 or c7(tho i do own a C-7 :P).
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by DimeLvR
With sound Its all about the Amp and Effects and the person attached to the fingers, I have a Jet black dean razorback V that i bought off E-bay New for $310 US (shipping included :P) it is the model with the dimebucker just like this but all black http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Razorback-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=511851 . I have been playing guitar for about 20 years and have owned Ibanez, Gibson,ESP,Fender,Jackson's. It is by far one of the best Guitars I have ever played I can noodle for hours w/o feeling any Fatigue. Dont let the looks fool you you can also play clean and it can produce a very nice Blues sound. (if your going to play metal get good at blues :P) The V shaped neck allows for Fast playing its weird at first if never played a V shaped neck but once you get used to it its hard to go back to the standard D shape. Did I Mention I tuned his badboy axe Nov22nd or the 23rd and havnt had to tune it since and i play heavy at least an hour a day? There are alot of Dean haters here on the forums Most due to price other due to looks,

If there were 2 things I would change that would be Replacing the neck pickup with a SD59 and putting on a real floyd, But the licensed of this model is prob the best licensed I have ever used like I said it stays in tune like a tank and the metal dosnt seem cheap.

If there was a 2nd guitar I would have to choose it would be the schecter c1 or c7(tho i do own a C-7 :P).

Which guitar you have doesn't impact fatigue at all.
Quote by jimRH7
...the fret job on it is terrible - half the notes beyond the 12th fret are missing.

Sounds like the guitar isn't set up properly, not a bad fret job

Quote by Sepultura_Alma
Dean are far too over priced and they have really crappy hardware

All of Dean's hardware is made by Grover unless it was made in China. The Dime Models are overpriced, not the whole company.

ML's aren't just for metal, the ML design was the first one that Mr. Zelinsky made (1976). I think the ML screams Southern Rock to be honest. Yes it wouldn't look right to play one in a country band or emo/screamo crap but anything else is fair game. What is your budget? Both companies have guitars that outshine the other one in certain price ranges. If money isn't an issue, go with a vintage Dean c. 1980. Stay away from the Dime'd Deans as they are overpriced due to a contract with the Dimebag Darrell Estate. If you really like the ML body shape, I would recommend the 79 Series ML

Oh, and everyone giving crap to their LFR... Besides Jackson and some Peavy's, Dean has the best LFR I've played. I've gigged my Razorback roughly 2-3 times weekly for the last 3 years with no problem. I've never heard someone that actually owns one complain about it if they know how to set one up properly.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Dimebagjeff
get a dean, i personally like deans better i played some ibanez and they were total **** for playing ,deans sound really good, youtube people probably had ****ty amps/recording/settings one or all of the above. go with dean, u wont be dissapointed

This guys opinion is totally warped on ibanez, which I should have expected from his username honestly
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor