I've been playing about 4 months and I am getting nowhere, I can play a few riffs but i cannot name any chords or anything. I keep seeing the add for www.guitarcontrol.com which I am not sure if it is safe or not, I usually don't trust adds by google.

I know there are lessons on UG but I don't know what ones to do and what ones will be useful. I prefer to play metal but occasionally I play something like ACDC or Jimmy eat world. What lessons would be useful for me?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
look on youtube for ExpertVillage

they have some really cool guitar lessons.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

All I've seen from expert village are how to play guitar hero 3 songs and how to tune/restring a guitar.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Assuming you have an electric guitar the fender learn to play electric guitar is a good DVD to start on. It gives you a load of basic stuff to practice. If you do a search on open chords and chords for songs you know in google you will find how to play the chords and in which order for which song. Another thing to look for is strumming patterns as this makes your playing sound better.

It will take a few months of practice but you'll be fine in the end.
www.justinguitar.com

Really good, free and takes you through step by step. Also check out the lessons on Guitar Noise
A reviewer said High School Musical is "squeakier than Minnie Mouse at the point of climax" and I couldn't help but indulge my imagination.
Gear:
Washburn X200 Pro with SD's
Roland Cube 15x
Digitech RP-50
Boss DS-1
Boss CH-1
i learn tremolo picking, sweep picking etc from expert village lol.

look for a guy on youtube, that makes vids called 'Heavy Metal 101'

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Another recommendation for JustinGuitar.com I am learning myself at the moment, and this site is one of the best I have found.
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT