Hi all.

Basically, I am at the stage in me guitaring life where I need to record my own songs and start sending them to record compaines and play live gigs with a decent amp, and my birthday is comming up and I should be able to afford some decent equipment.

What I want to know is for recording AND live use, what is better to get, Guitar Rig 3 or a half stack (am looking at the Bugera 333xl with matching cab sounds awesome).

Also, is it possible to plug an amp head directly into the computer and record straight from there, if so I'll probably get the Bugera .

Thank you again!
I would have a good read through the FAQ to give you more of an idea about computer recording first. I don't mean to be a knobhead, but a quick read through that and www.tweakheadz.com will give an idea so we don't need to explain the basics every time. Then you can ask more specific questions.
There is poetry in despair.
Consider that learning how to record should be looked at as if you were learning another whole instrument. Just like a person isn't a very good guitar player after only two years of playing - even with good gear - a person is not very good at recording after only two years of learning that 'instrument' - even with good gear.

It takes time and a huge personal investment to learn.

It also takes a significant financial investment.

If your goal is to get signed, my suggestion would be to take that time you would spend learning how to record, and spend it learning how to write songs, and learn about the music business. Take the money you would otherwise spend on recording and invest it in things that will help get you signed - having pro gear to help you get into a pro band; lessons, self-promotion, getting your demos recorded at someone else's studio, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Just noticed.... and I practically NEVER comment on these kinds of things...

@NOSPI - your sig is entirely repulsive. It is not the slightest bit funny. I respectfully encourage you to change it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
An actual amp will always be better in terms of sound quality compared to software modeling.

Get the amp and spend a lot of time writing songs and such as axemanchris suggested
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 11, 2009,
+1 on the amp except if you can, ditch the bugera cab and get a 1960 or something. I love my 333xl

Recording wise it has a direct out on the back of the head so you can get your basic sound samples from that if you can't afford more.
To Fridge Raider: You don't sound like a knobhead, thankyou for the website.

To Axemanchris: Thank you but I think there's a little mis-understanding. I'm wanting to just get something where I can record my songs, it doesn't have to be spectacular, I just need a way of having a database of my songs because I am not very good at writing out music, I am not intending to record for the purpose of making an album to send to record companies.

To Doommaker: Thankyou for the information about the line out from the Bugera.

As a general conclusion, it is best to get the half stack because it can record the basics of what I need just to keep my music and can also be used live as well (also can borrow other peoples recording studios), whereas if I was recording for albums it would be best to use Guitar rig 3 if I wanted to do it at home.

Is that right?
So you just want to record "ideas" and not be too concerned with quality? If thats the case just get a 1/4-1/8 adapter and plug it into your computer, download a free amp modeler and save your ideas. Nothing really sounds as good, quality wise, as a mic'd amp cabinet, so Id stay away from guitar rig.

As a former Bugera owner... they dont get my vote, there have been many problems with these amps. Its love hate with everybody and Id recommend looking around GG&A about them, that's a whole different subject.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.