Page 1 of 2
I've just taken a look at the new Fender "Road Worn" Series, and in my opinion I think the whole idea is a bit stupid. I mean shouldn't that wear and tear on your instrument be made by you? Shouldn't it age naturally? They look kinda cool, but I would rather just by a standard, play the hell out of it for years, and have it look like that due to years of love. I'm a Fender fanatic, but I just don't like the idea. It seems like cheating somehow... Of course that's just my opinion. Share yours!
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
its the same idea behind buying pre-ripped jeans and baseball caps with pre frayed brims. just get a highway 1, they are pretty much designed to get that beat up road worn look except you'll be doing the beating up, not the factory.

tldr i think its pretty stupid
i'm not going to let some fender factory take all the fun of wrecking my guitar i want to do it
you are what you is
you are a fender fanatic yet you do not own one?

yea i agree its stupid.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Agreed but ESP make a killing with that Hetfield Trucker so Fender wants their piece of the pie.

I think I can damage my own guitar, thank you very much.
you are a fender fanatic yet you do not own one?

yea i agree its stupid.

I've owned several in the past.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
yep, but some people like em, thats why they make them. I too would rather put the wear on myself, in fact I love the look of a well worn, naturaly worn, fender. It just seems like a lot of money to pay for an MIM guitar with fake wear marks.
fender classic 60's reissue telecaster
2008 MIJ paisley telecaster
fender superchamp xd
1978 fender super twin reverb
roland microcube
boss ce-2 chorus(MIJ)
factory relics don't look like relics. FACT!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded

+1
They always look sanded and smoothed down, not bashed up, scraped, gouged, abused, and loved.

Washburn has a guitar like that, which looks epic, but you pay somewhere near $100 for the beat up look.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
It looks kinda cool I suppose but if you just buy a regular guitar, you can go through the "I'll never put a single scratch on it" phase, as well as the "I don't give a crap anymore" phase

Plus, it must be really rewarding to look at your guitar after 20 years and see how beat up it is, knowing the marks were made by you playing and loving it.
I can't beat my tele up due to it being natural finish and im pretty sure scratching it will look like **** lol.

But yea, road worn is just a marketing ploy.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
atleast no one will have to worry about the resale value on them dropping.
Just thought I'd mention this to those interested, if you can't get to NAMM like most of us, Sweetwater just got some of the Roadworn guitars in, so you can get a real-life(sorta) look now;

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
I was going to give the whole faded/torn jeans response but someone else beat me to it.

To play devil's advocate, I've had a few Strats for over a decade and even the ones I don't pay attention to and played a lot don't look anything like the road worn series. You've gotta be seriously beating the hell out of your guitars (not in a good way) to get them to look like that, or maybe using a guitar that's been played out since the 60s to get that kind of look legitimately.

I won't be buying one anytime soon, but I understand why they did it.
i actually was able to play a 50's version today and i really liked it. The guitar felt VERY nice to me and the thing sounded great to my surprise actually (although pups were a tad noisy). I tried an Eric Clapton sig afterwords and i prefered the road worn series actually (i plugged them both into a JVM). The sig sounded waaay too bassy and i didnt like the feel (but i will put money on it that something was wrong because i tried them out at guitar center) but the road worn series just felt soooo good and i dont really care if it does look cheesy or not cuz it was one of the better strats they had imho.

Yeah sure the beat up look is kinda stupid but if u find a guitar that kicks serious butt looks shouldnt matter. I was VERY impressed and if i find another one that feels and sounds like that one i might pick one up this summer if i dont find an MIA that i like better.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
This reminds me of when a flat-mate took a knife to his jeans to make them look more "cool". Absolute nonsense.
Quote by Zeds.Ded

+1
The forearm wear on these always looks like ****, they never manage to get it look even close to real. I don't think I've ever seen a vintage Strat that looks like the Relics or the Road Worn series.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Agreed. If I want it to look worn ill take it to the garage, beat the hell out of it than go at it w/ sand paper. would be cheaper and wouldnt look generic like all the other road worn guitars
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I think the Fender Road Worn series looks nice but come on Fender you should have at LEAST made it a worn highway 1 strat or make it cheaper
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Just got back from trying a couple guitars and pedals at GC. Tried the two 50's guitars in the Roadworn series(didn't try the 60's one as I had a limited time and prefer maple fretboards over rosewood). Here are my impressions if anyone cares for them;

Strat; Decent, but it's really not worth the price. The wear on it wasn't too good, and I'll be frank. While it may not be stock(I'm it's fourth owner over six years, so it's had plenty of time for mods), my 2002 MIM Standard beat it out to my ears. Just a pretty face.

Tele; This oen was actually good. Great classic tele tone, the wear on this one actually looks like wear an old tele would have, good feel, frankly this'll probably be my main choice for my guitar after I get a semihollow.

i don't really care too much about the relicing (which looks pretty crappy, and to be honest i'd prefer a non-relic, but still...), my major problems are:

(a) the price- £850+?

and considering said price:

(b) die cast trem block o_O

(c) urethane finish on the neck (check the specs on the fender site), not nitro o_O

(d) pretty rudimentary-looking relicing, at least judging by the examples sent for review in the guitar magazines.

that's without trying it, of course. but it seems to me that, on paper, you're paying a pro price for an intermediate quality guitar. Like buying an Ibanez Jem 555 instead of an RG1570, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree its a stupid idea and yes there MIM.

But play the damn guitar guys.

There damn good.

I liked them better that the standard MIA, and regular MIM's.

Either way i wouldnt buy it, im ganna get a Carvin.

Woo, Woo.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Jan 18, 2009,
*Agrees with both Dave_Mc and THEKID546*

Quote by Ippon
DO you have a MIM Standard or a re-issue? If it's a Standard, have you replaced the kinda puny trem block?

It's in a finish I think was exclusive to the Standards(Agave Blue, now discontinued), but with the tone, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a reissue, though since it has a truss rod accessible at the head but it's not a bullet truss rod, I'm not sure. As for the trem block, the only thing I've done is replace strings and remove the backplate for easier restringing, but like I said, three owners before me, and looking at a lot of guitars local shops have, I think it probably has been replaced.

I think what makes them supperior to the regular MIM's is that they use MIA necks and hardware but they use MIM's bodies.
Quote by THEKID546

But play the damn guitar guys.

yeah, i'm definitely going to try them if i see any.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'm definitely going to try them if i see any.

Once you do, don't judge them all by one or two. A friend of mine did that, he missed the gem that is the 50's tele.

Quote by MT in Austin
Agreed but ESP make a killing with that Hetfield Trucker so Fender wants their piece of the pie.

I think I can damage my own guitar, thank you very much.

Yea but the trucker doesnt look roadworn, it kinda just looks like it's supposed to be like that.

The roadworn series is such a stupid idea and most people I know agree. I would much rather buy a MIM strat and f it up myself, or buy one and beat it to hell through the years
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by milkmanv1
Yea but the trucker doesnt look roadworn, it kinda just looks like it's supposed to be like that.

The roadworn series is such a stupid idea and most people I know agree. I would much rather buy a MIM strat and f it up myself, or buy one and beat it to hell through the years

Play the tele. It'll change your mind.

l'd love to have as lightly worn or aged strat, because they look lovely. But I went to guitar center and looked at the road worn ones, and a giggle escaped my mouth. They look absolutely hilarious. They don't look natural at all.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
l'd love to have as lightly worn or aged strat, because they look lovely. But I went to guitar center and looked at the road worn ones, and a giggle escaped my mouth. They look absolutely hilarious. They don't look natural at all.

Devil's Advocate time;

http://www.vintageguitars.net/products/dispProd.cfm?id=881&page=1&&srch&year=1950s&manufacturer=7&model=&storeId=

I'd say the 50's tele is a pretty good representation of that kind of wear. Most guitars won't be worn like that. Guitars played by people who throw theirs around and(occasionally) smash them are. The latter is what the Roadworn series are based on because it's more noticeable and more expensive, ergo more marketing stuff and more money they can charge.

Quote by necrosis1193
Once you do, don't judge them all by one or two. A friend of mine did that, he missed the gem that is the 50's tele.

odds are i'll only get to try one or two... we don't have big GCs here in ireland...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JessicaGonzo
i agree. why buy a beat up guitar? theres even videos on youtube to show you how to relic a guitar.

To quote an incredibly thick friend of mine "Yeah, but I just don't have the time, and i'd rather have a professional (who is a bloody days drive from where he is) do it than do it myself"

Granted this was about putting EMGs in his explorer, and I give him hell for not even trying, but the fact of the matter is that some people are semi-lazy and don't want to have to wear down their own instrument.
Quote by Dave_Mc
odds are i'll only get to try one or two... we don't have big GCs here in ireland...

Well, if you do have to judge them all by one, try to find a store that has the tele; it blew away the 50's strat, and, if it's anything like it's counterpart, it blows away the 60's strat too.

necro is right the tele is the true gem of this fender line.

Not even the all MIA ones compare, atleast to me.
Page 1 of 2