So tomorrow's my birthday and I really want a fuzz/overdrive/distortion pedal to play around with. I want a pedal that give a good fuzz sound like muse, but I also want a pedal that could do some distortion. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
Idk much about muse, but I'd find out what they use and then try it out for yourself to see if you like it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Get Yourself an ashdown drive pedal and a el grande fuzz. THe ashdowns got amazing overdrive and the el grande well...
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Bellamy uses the Z-vex fuzz factory. Don't know about any additional stomp boxes but he has his fuzz factory built into his guitar

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly
Bellamy uses the Z-vex fuzz factory. Don't know about any additional stomp boxes but he has his fuzz factory built into his guitar

Shame this is the bass forum then.

You will not get fuzz and overdrive out of a single box (99% of the time). They are different effects. While they both have the same basic effect on the waveform, they both achieve it in very different ways.

However, for muse style fuzz, try a bass big muff. Chris runs a Big Muff through a biamped rig and a synth. You won't get that close without much more of his gear, but it gives the same basic fuzz sound while retaining low end.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

You will not get fuzz and overdrive out of a single box (99% of the time). They are different effects. While they both have the same basic effect on the waveform, they both achieve it in very different ways.

However, for muse style fuzz, try a bass big muff. Chris runs a Big Muff through a biamped rig and a synth. You won't get that close without much more of his gear, but it gives the same basic fuzz sound while retaining low end.

this.

though you can also get some synthy fuzz and some slight overdrivey stuff from an MXR Bass Blowtorch. worth looking at.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For fuzz go with the Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff on an MXR EL Grande Fuzz. The El grande is a little more pricey than the Big Muff but both are great pedals(I use the Bass Big Muff myself). For overdrive look at the Boss OBD-3 or the Digitech bass driver, both are fantastic for the price. I wouldn't dish out a lot of money on pedals unless you know what specific sound you are looking for. If you're looking for a Chris Wolstenholme Muse sound(I too have been trying to achieve this as well), he uses a Rusian Big Muff, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, a Akai Deep Impact Synth, Boss DD-3 delay, Boss OC-2 octaver, Boss PS-3 phaser, with 4 Marshall DBS heads(this I believe was on Absolution) into I think a 4x10 and a 1x15. But for a cheaper alternative to that style, I use a bass big muff, a MXR Phase 90, a Digitech Bass Synth wah, An EXH Bass Micro Synth through my brand new Ashdown MAG 300 4x10 . Well I guess I'm not trying to emulate his sound completely, but just using it as an inspiration for my sound. You should try to get a distinct sound that is all you own
A word of advice about the ODB-3. It is not an overdrive. It is a very "buzzy" distortion. It is also a love it or hate it pedal. Often with feeling changing over time. I used to love min, but slowly stopped liking it when I couldn't get any really good tones. Once I got my Fulltone Bass Drive, it has barely been touched.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

I thought overdrive compresses the wave while fuzz clips it?
Quote by /b/rother99999

Nah, Overdrive clips, Fuzz almost converts to a squarewave.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by /b/rother99999

Compression compresses. Kind of obvious.

They both clip, but in different ways. Fuzz cuts the tops of the waves, giving something resembling a square wave. Overdrive/distortion do the same, but in a much smoother fashion, resulting in a compressed appearance to the waveform.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I will recoment the TC elctronic vintage bass distortion or the T-Rex BassJuice, its the same pedal just with another name. The got a boost function so you can get a really awesome fuzz tone and you can also get some hard distortion.
Malekko B:assmaster Fuzz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6kjd6GyvLc
Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Not quite Muse-y, but it should sound damn good.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Alright guys, I just got $100 from my family for my birthday, so I'll have to do some thinking and choose something around or a little more than $100. Haha I love buying new pedals!
hmm.

that bass big muff probably. proof that pi are square...

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Ibanez PD-7 works quite well if you don't want to dish out to much cash. It's got a nice clean tone boost as well.

The best way to determine if you like it or not is to try it. A few of my friends recommended the ODB-3, but I disliked the tone when I tried it myself. See what works for you.
Hi.
Last edited by David12390 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by gm jack
Compression compresses. Kind of obvious.

They both clip, but in different ways. Fuzz cuts the tops of the waves, giving something resembling a square wave. Overdrive/distortion do the same, but in a much smoother fashion, resulting in a compressed appearance to the waveform.

Most distortions and fuzzes introduce a certain element of compression as well, though, don't they?

I forget the technical reasons why, but I know that dynamics tend to go out the window when any of my dirt boxes are on.

To the OP, The digitech bass driver gives a pretty wide range of tones, if you just want something to play with. Models the sound digitally and has a blend between overdrive, distortion and fuzz. It's pretty good.
Quote by the humanity
hmm.

that bass big muff probably. proof that pi are square...

Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
i have a bass fuzz for sale, over in the gear ads.

let me know if you are interested, its the MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz