well, I've been playing for a while but I only just started trying to slap. there's a few reasons I've put it off; but I'm starting to get the basics now, playing "higher ground" etc.
my question is, how do you slap the A string without getting the E to sound as well? i'm trying it by muting the E a little with the tip of my index finger (left hand) while it's fretting the note on the A string, and muting with the bass of my palm, but should I be able to bring my thumb down accuratly enough so it deosn't hit the string in the first place?

also, the bit that actually hits the strings is the outer edge of the first joint in my thumb, is this correct?
You'll learn. I could only hit the E and G when I started... it just takes practice.
It's all about accuracy when it comes to this, you get optimum accuracy when you slap in a 'turning of a door handle' motion and bounce your thumb off the string when you strike it.
Do you slap with your arm parallel to the strings or with your arm at a 90 degree angle (give or take) to the strings?
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by jimRH7
so, I shouldn't have to mute?

If you're aiming for perfection, yes. But honestly, we all screw up, so it's still good to know muting.
fftlxx - 90 deg.

so, I just have to practice? there's nothing fundementally wrong here?
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by jimRH7
fftlxx - 90 deg.

Follow what I said and it should help you out a bit, just practice that motion slapping, slapping and popping octaves is a good way to build accuracy and speed, you can get it to an impressive speed and Higher Ground is basically all slapping and popping octaves.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Its all about the wrist. You'll get around it eventually, just practice. But I sure as hell hope your bass is a 4 stringer, :P
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by jimRH7
"turning of a doorhandle" ?

Basically, start with your thumb pointing out from the bass, you rotate your hand onto the string, strike it and turn your hand back to 'bounce it off'.
There's a good Slap bass lesson on this site, there's also good lessons on youtube which would probably go into more detail.
♪♫♪
ah cool,

aye that's what i've been doing.
thanks for your replys lads I will practice and give it time. also maybe purchase a bass less outwardly unsutible for the technique.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Its all about the wrist. You'll get around it eventually, just practice. But I sure as hell hope your bass is a 4 stringer, :P

I slap better on my 5er than my 4 string. It's all preference. I like the tighter spacing.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Try and keep your thumb parallel to the strings
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i know this is improper left hand position but what I usually do is mute the top E with my left thumb.I can hit the A with out the mute and without bothering the E but when I do it with speed like most RHCP stuff I use the mute.
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
Keep you thumb parallel (like most technical bassists do) to the strings and not perpendicular (like Flea does). That will solve every single one of your accuracy issues (plus you'll be using proper technique).
keep your thumb whichever way you want to, you'll create your own style.

if you want to hit only A string and you cant do it, why are you wasting your time here? Practise, pratise, practise, and if you get bored, practise more. Be accurate. Impose on your thumb playing what YOU want to. It's not easy but only the most patient will be the best.
Quote by jimRH7
fftlxx - 90 deg.

so, I just have to practice? there's nothing fundementally wrong here?

no, just practise with your accuracy and you will learn. Practise about 30min a day.
Anger Is A Gift
practise as much as you can. dont say your fiingers hurt. when flea's fingers got bleeding, he would take superglue and stick the skin back.

edit: this message wasnt 100% serious. *facepalm*
Last edited by Wojtus at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Wojtus
practise as much as you can. dont say your fiingers hurt. when flea's fingers got bleeding, he would take superglue and stick the skin back.

Dont do this, If your thumb hurts, stop playing go back later. Dont overstrain anything, take it in small steps.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
My bass teacher told me to put my hand on the part below the string, right by the pickups, (the neck ones) and just turn my hand at 90 degrees and slap the strings. It does take practice though.
Hey, let's be friends.

Check my band Fear Elise and like our page!

http://tinyurl.com/46xyyv5

My Gear:

Ampeg 410HE
Ampeg B2RE
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
EHX Enigma Envelope Filter
Epiphone Thunderbird
Music Man Stingray 4
Quote by MonsterOfRock

I made the mistake of learning on a 5 string.
It made the simplest slap songs quite difficult, like The Awakening main riff.
xD i did the cheap thing,
I raised my A string, and then every so often u lower it slightly...
I think its quicker, and quite probbly less boring, u can just play normal slap songs instead of slapping 1000000x in a row.