i have an ibanez s470 and am replacing the bridge and neck pickups with irongear hot slags.

current pickups are inf not powersound

current pickup switching

the wiring diagram for the new pickups
Quote by Mr.Tamberineman
where do which wires go?

You have two options:

1) do some research and figure it out.

2) pay someone to do it for you.

Sorry, without being able to be there and show you, there's not a whole lot that can be done. Trying to describe where everything goes would a) take too much of my time (almost done building an amp) and b) would probably be unsuccessful anyways.

Do you know how to solder?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
simply put

old pickups>>>>>>new pickups
red>>>>>>>>>>>>white
black >>>>>>>>>>>green

not sure if thats right ^^

or something similiar
Last edited by Mr.Tamberineman at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Tamberineman
simply put

old pickups>>>>>>new pickups
red>>>>>>>>>>>>white
black >>>>>>>>>>>green

not sure if thats right ^^

or something similiar

Kay, cool.

the way I read it: old > new:

Red > Red

White > White

Green and black of the new ones are combined and become that weird cone shaped wire next to the old red and white in the top diagram.

That work?

anyone else?
Quote by kcdakrt

i emailed axetec and they said different, and i don't trust you cause of your first comment, so anybody else know what to do?
Have a look in the ultimate wiring thread which already covered this question.

Old to new:

Red=Red (hot)
White=Green+White
Bare=Black + Bare (ground)

Because the pickups aren't by the same manufacturer you may need to swap Red + Black round on the new pickups (specifically the neck for the split) to get it sounding right.

EDIT: If you emailed axetec (I'm assuming they sold you the pickups) why do you still need to ask? Did they not answer where the wires should go?
Last edited by bellerophon at Jan 11, 2009,
no because what they sent me said that my current pickups in my guitar have 4 wires which they don't
Quote by Mr.Tamberineman
i emailed axetec and they said different, and i don't trust you cause of your first comment, so anybody else know what to do?

ouch.

my first post was pretty pissy sounding because I'm sick and tired of people showing up and saying "I don't have the time to figure this out or read 5 minutes worth of crap to get a clue, so I'm going to ask you to spend your time to do it."

I tried to help. Never mind the fact that a) you never stated how the old pickups were wired b) you never explained how the switch works, so maybe I'm screwed from the getgo in explaining things to you anc c) you never said if you want series or parallel operation in pos 1, 2, 4, and 5. So, any explanation I give will be wrong by virtue of you being able to pick different options, or someone else understanding what you want differently.

I'm an electrical engineer who a) designs my own guitar amps (from the schematic level up), b) wires my own guitars for myself and others and c) designs and builds electrical circuits on airplanes and spacecraft for a living...soo...what do I know?

/rant
Quote by kcdakrt

according to the irongear wiring diagram am i right in thinking that red is north start, green is north finish. silver/white is south start and black is south finish?
Probably not I'm afraid. Start/ends aren't always a particular polarity but look at this link here:
http://www.1728.com/guitar1a.htm

HB's will almost always follow that pattern (polarities may be reversed and if so are all reversed) so Red could be North start or finish. If Red is North start, black is likely South start (i.e. opposite polarities) so the HB can be wired in series and 'buck the hum'.

The best people to ask are Irongear tbh, it's information that they should be happy (and able) to give out.