what is exactly the role of knife edges in floyd rose tremolos?
Last edited by MetalX2006 at Jan 11, 2009,
As in, a roll of knife-edges? Like lots of knives taped into a cylindrical roll shape?
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Ah I see.

Don't know what you're talking about, sorry.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Quote by uk.mace
To... cut things? Surely?

Im talkin about the knife edges in floyd rose tremolos !

did you google it?

yes and didnt find anything
It's the base plate of the trem that has two notches that are sharpened like a knife blade that then sit on 2 posts....this makes the pivot so you trem can dive or pull up.
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
It's the base plate of the trem that has two notches that are sharpened like a knife blade that then sit on 2 posts....this makes the pivot so you trem can dive or pull up.

is it possible that on a brand new guitar something could be wrong with it?
when i dive and let go the tuning drops 25 cents(the guitar is perfectly tuned and the bridge is parallel with the body)..
same thing if i pull up.
Yes possible....

When you use the trem does it go back to it's normal resting position ie not pulled up?

Have the strings been stretched (if they're new) otherwise they go all over the place until they've had all the "stretch" taken out of them

Do you have a locking nut or just a normal one because as you move the trem the nut may be snagging and not letting the strings move freely...obviously not a problem if you have a locking nut
[
Quote by Skuzzmo
Yes possible....
When you use the trem does it go back to it's normal resting position ie not pulled up?

yes but obviously slightly up(it goes up only 25 cents so it wouldnt be a clear difference), and if i dive(tuning drops) i can go back up and fix it but obviously it shouldnt be like this

Have the strings been stretched (if they're new) otherwise they go all over the place until they've had all the "stretch" taken out of them

they are 2 months old.

Do you have a locking nut or just a normal one because as you move the trem the nut may be snagging and not letting the strings move freely...obviously not a problem if you have a locking nut

I have a locking nut and its locked :P
what guitar do you have?

did you buy it brand new i.e. completely unplayed or was it a floor model?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
what guitar do you have?

did you buy it brand new i.e. completely unplayed or was it a floor model?

Ibanez RG1570 prestige(Edge-pro tremolo) and yes its brand new.
the edge pro is one of the better trems on the market so the knife edges shouldn't be worn out.

check the Floyd rose setup thread or Rich's Ibanez setup site and check that it's set up correctly. if it's setup correctly but still has this problem take it to a shop and see if they can do anything.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If your guitar does not returning to right pitch then your knife edge could be worn or you did a poor setup.
The knife edge should not be too dull and the STRING tension should always be equal to SPRING tension. That's the thumb rules.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R