the intro to I walk the Line by Johnny Cash, because why the **** not.
So the air's getting colder
and the news keeps us scared.

Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Learn the open A, D and E chords. They're the easiest to learn. Just think, in 3 to 5 years, you'll be a good player if you keep at it.

Also, learn how to properly hold the guitar - neck up and not dipping down towards the ground. Learn where to keep the thumb on your left hand - behind the neck and not over the top of it. Although there are some exceptions to that last rule. Also, learn how to hold a pick, or plectrum. It's also referred to as a flat pick. Man, I could go on and on. If you can afford a guitar instructor, do it.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 11, 2009,
It depends on what bands you're into! Btw, what guitar are you getting?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Learn the open A, D and E chords. They're the easiest to learn. Just think, in 3 to 5 years, you'll be a good player if you keep at it.

+pi

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Jan 11, 2009,
just get to know ur guitar first
then after about a week or so, start learning chords and scales
also, learn a few riffs and the smells like teen spirit solo
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Marco0811
After I learn the basics I will try to do some Nirvana songs

Please don't be one of those kids who sits around jamming Smells like teen spirit at school thinking they're br00tal.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
I started with G, C, D chords, then moved onto different keys. Course, I didn't know what keys were, but that's what I did.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by Sakattack75
just get to know ur guitar first
then after about a week or so, start learning chords and scales
also, learn a few riffs and the smells like teen spirit solo

After a week or so? When you learned to drive, did you spend a week or so getting to know the car?

me: Hi, car.

car: Hi, Steve.

me: So, you busy later next week?

car: Uh, how about you and me going for a drive today?

me: Uh, no, I think I'll just get to know you for a bit.

No. Start learning right away. Don't spend more than 5 minutes getting to know the guitar. Use that 5 minutes to figure out what the pickup switch does, how the volume and tone controls work, then get busy learning how to play that beast.
Any chance you can get something a little better than that? I'm not saying that's a bad kit, but it's more frequently known as the Fender Stop Dreaming and Stop Playing guitar pack. Seriously, if you can afford something a little bit better, it'd be well worth it.
Alternatively, you could get this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar-510629-i1146519.gc
Play with it a month or two without an amp (you'll still be able to hear the proper sounds,trust me, it just won't be loud at all.)
During that month or so, save some more money, get one of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Audition-Electric-Guitar-Practice-Amplifier-481335-i1169236.gc

The amp is a pretty weak link, but seriously, it's like the third cheapest amp GC even sells, so there's not a lot to work with here.

That'll cost you a bit more, but you'll get a much better guitar and a... better amp... In time you can then upgrade the amp. Or, if you're able to save a bit longer, get this amp from the get go:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

You'll then be set for amps for a good while.