I play for metal/punk band and I've noticed whenever I write something Im doing the same sort of thing, moving up and down the strings on the same 9 frets usually. Is there anyone I should listen to (I usually listen to Black Sabbath and the Damned for inspiration) or any new techniques I could learn to bring new life into my playing?
I suggest maybe listening to and learning songs from a completely different genre.

I've been having the same problems and dont get me wrong, i like my bands songs but learning 70s/80s rock music has let me open my eyes to new stuff. Still can't nail the bassist from kansas' tone tho ;(

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
try listening to different genres of music, from death metal to breakcore, anything thats different
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Stop listening to what you're listening to, stop listening all together. Take what you want to play and play it. Don't copy what someone else is doing, it'll sound new for a while and then it's going to get stale again. Play what you hear, or think (if you're theory brained) and see if it sounds good. Don't play what is "right" or what's been done before. Actually create something new, ignore other metal and punk artists.
Don't listen to other people for 'inspiration'... do totally your own stuff.... maybe have a jam with ur band where u make stuff up as you go along and take ideas from that...

if you want to do your own songs, do them your way, and then, it will sound... yeah that's Spaz91's band playing there, not... oh that sounds like Black Sabbath playing here...

but, it's your music.. play it how you like!
Quote by Torin ere mayte
Don't listen to other people for 'inspiration'... do totally your own stuff.... maybe have a jam with ur band where u make stuff up as you go along and take ideas from that...

if you want to do your own songs, do them your way, and then, it will sound... yeah that's Spaz91's band playing there, not... oh that sounds like Black Sabbath playing here...

but, it's your music.. play it how you like!

+1

Seriously its your music you have to have your own inner inspiration
dont look for other bands for it.
"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems"
Thats the thing though, whenever I'm writing a song that isnt in the style of something else (which is most of the time) I keep repeating myself or doing very similar riffs.
Quote by Jonnomainman
I suggest maybe listening to and learning songs from a completely different genre.

Agreed.

Stevie Wonder basslines are awesome.
I don't particularly like his music, but I'm a sucker for a really nice funky bassline, as I assume everyone here is.

You should check out some of his stuff.
Take up another instrument for a while. For many bass players, drums is ideal. Its amazing how spending a few afternoons with a hand drum can change up the way you approach bass and your improv lines.
Make a conscious effort to play something you wouldn't normally play.
have a goal.

if I just do what I come into, I get a trumpetlike burst of scale pieces, with extended rest periods.

have a goal, like using the key of F#minor to get a smooth galloping bounce. if you have a guitarist, working off of each other will be very useful. you will want him to do this, and he will want you to do that, and through conversation and request, you will reach something you would never write without another person.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom