Hey guys, was just playing my dsl 50 and it suddenly stopped making noise, i looked round the back at the tubes and one of my power tubes was glowing very brightly, as if it were burning out? It's still glowing a little bit now.. is that all it is? a burnt out power tube? I've only had the amp 6 months :/, thanks
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
did you buy it used? have you changed any tubes since you bought it? a power tube problem would be the most obvious thing here.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I bought it new, and no ive never changed them.. i just dont know why it would still glow as normal if it had blown, it looks exactly like the other one
My Gear

Last edited by xander307 at Jan 11, 2009,
alright im guessing it must be the tube, after changing it will i need to re bias? It is advised
My Gear

you can't change just the tube. you gotta change both of them.
I think you should definitely get the amp biased.
and don't sweat it too much, tubes are the part of the amp that is most prone to failure.
Better than something else going wrong.

If it's not the tubes, then it is probably a fuse.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
kool you are a legend

it was just the HT fuse
My Gear

Probably a bad power tube, if one tube was indeed glowing brightly, it's redplating, and a bad power tube will generally take out an HT fuse with it if it arcs. Keep watching the tube in question for redplating or arcing.
Oh.. what could cause a power tube to go bad? like i said its done fine so far.. i'll try another fuse anyway, could just be one of those things lol
My Gear

Power tubes just go bad over time, some last longer than others. Fuses don't blow for no reason, they're there as a safety measure so that if you get any sort of shorting or current surge, they burn out before it hits any other component. Typically bad power tubes will redplate and they'll pop fuses. It's just one of those signs.
Hey guys, my amps still broke! I was thinking about sending it back to marshall but reidys.com arent even talking to me lol, so i was looking at Electro-Harmonix EL34 Platinum Valves (http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_EL34EHPL.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_content=allproducts&utm_campaign=googlebaseEL34EHPL)
Are these the right valves for my DSL 50? And is biasing going to be hard? thanks
My Gear

Last edited by xander307 at Jan 25, 2009,