ok first of all i considered putting this in the drug thread but its a little bit of a different issue.

ok so im 15 and my girlfriend has been battling what i think is major depressive disorder, i know im not a doctor but i've done a lot of research on this and she fits a lot of the symptoms, she doesnt eat anymore, she quit her sports, she has disconnected with many of her friends and even me in some cases. im really worried about her , she used to cut herself and now her depression isnt that bad but she has told me its starting to get worse again.
she is sure her parents wont let her get medications, she has tried counselling but it didnt help i think this is her last option.
we are going to the doctor later this week to see if we can get her some medicine but at the very least the dr's opinion.

im wondering if she will need parental consent to get treatment, we live in canada so it might be different i guess.

thanks for your help.
Take her to the doctor dear. They have to tell parents under a certain age but if there's something really wrong with her they should know anyway. I don't recommend anti-depressants though.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Under 18? At least in the US, you can't do anything without your god damned parents holding your hand. Sometimes for a reason..hmmm...
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I doubt she'll need parental consent. Doctors will put anybody on drugs these days.
When life gives you lemons, squirt juice in your enemies' eyes.
Quote by rage.against
she is sure her parents wont let her get medications

Is she sure because she asked them or is she just assuming things? I think if you go to a doctor and get the doctors oppinion, then (allowing that the doctor diagnoses depression and recommends medication) surely the parents would want to help their daughter. C'mon...

I don't know about the rules in Canada regarding parental consent because, well, I don't live there.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Take her to the doctor dear. They have to tell parents under a certain age but if there's something really wrong with her they should know anyway. I don't recommend anti-depressants though.

why dont you recomend them, im just curious?
Theres also not alot of meds someone under 18 can take for depression. Ask for Lexapro. that stuff is the ****.
I'm on them. You will most probably need concent. Surely her parents will understand though, if shes in need of them?
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Quote by rage.against
why dont you recomend them, im just curious?

I was on them for a few months last year and they 'worked' for a while. By worked I mean they masked a lot of emotions and as much as I wasn't as bad as I was, but I wasn't really happy either. I just sort of was.

But then lots more horrible things happened whilst on the course of medication and then it just stopped working

I went to the doctors and he suggested a slightly stronger dose and I refused. He was glad.

They're good whilst in therapy for some people while trying to get to the bottom of the problem, but otherwise I'm not a fan.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
If you're looking for anti-depressants, you need parental consent.

I'm not sure how it is outside the UK, but here I needed parental consent to get the huge amounts of Fluoxetine they're pumping me with and I'm 17

EDIT: Reva's right ^^
I don't feel happy but I don't feel sad, and as a result I can't deal with a lot of feelings because I'm chemically forced to feel neutral about them
I wouldn't recommend them as anything other than a FINAL resort
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Jan 11, 2009,
So pretty much you looked on Wikipedia for symptoms of depression and diagnosed your girlfriend?

I'd take her to a doctor, or have her parents do so.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I dunno about Canada, but here in the UK you need your parent's consent for any medication if you're under the age of 16. I think certain medications can also have different effects on younger people, ie teenagers, so it's probably a good thing if her parents do know about it just in case anything happens.

Also the thing with anti-depressants is there are a LOT of them. All the hype about them causing weight gain etc etc is mostly to do with older medications - newer ones have less side effects - but you could end up trying a lot of different ones alone or in combination before finding one that works right. And I think usually they're most effective when combined with some sort of counselling or therapy. So tell your girlfriend not to give up if they don't work at first!
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Trey Spruance
I'm on them. You will most probably need concent. Surely her parents will understand though, if shes in need of them?

i have asked her to tell her parents, she's said no and i reallly really dont want to take this into my own hands but if i have to i might , idk if thats the righthting to do thogh , or should i just respect her decision not to.
cause her parents are reasonable people and being parents i would hope they would understanc.
You should definitely take her to get a doctor's opinion. Good luck getting approved for the meds though. I had a gf with similar problems and she never got the drugs she was supposed to get, just cuz the mental health system sucks in this country. IDK though, maybe some anti-depressants are easy to get.
Quote by Demonikk

I wouldn't recommend them as anything other than a FINAL resort

yea i've heard this too and i agree, but i dont know what else we could do ?
Maybe consider seeing a psychiatrist on a "regular" basis... they are expensive. They will get her the meds if she needs them.
I went through a lot of what she is going through the past couple of years. Meds are only a tool and won't solve the problem, but they help. Especially if she recognizes any early warning signs. You should encourage her to seek professional help and definitely get an opinion from a doctor.
"I quit my low carb diet when all i had the strength to do was sit and eat sausage and pork rinds and think, "this must be what it feels like to have cancer, a special kind of cancer that makes your poop float.""

This is br00t4l
Psychological disorders are notoriously hard to diagnose, even by someone with training.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I know that in the UK this sort of thing can be done without parental consent. Phone up your doctor in the morning, book an appointment. Go with her. Ask the doctor if parental consent is necessary, and in what situations it isn't.

You might also have the equivilent of what "NHS direct", which is a free medical phone service run by the NHS (National Health Service). If you do, ring em up and ask!
Quote by rage.against
yea i've heard this too and i agree, but i dont know what else we could do ?

Try going to a chemist and getting Endorfin boosters, they're available over the counter
ohai little sig.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
So pretty much you looked on Wikipedia for symptoms of depression and diagnosed your girlfriend?

I'd take her to a doctor, or have her parents do so.

+1. The best lesson I can pass on from my Abnormal Psychology class in college is that you should not diagnose others unless you are a licensed doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist, and you shouldn't self-diagnose even if you have that job. It's far too easy to be biased and jump to the worst conclusions possible. A doctor will be unbiased and has way more knowledge about medical and psychological conditions.

If the diagnosis is indeed major depressive disorder, then there are a lot of antidepressants out there, and they all affect individuals differently. A lot of news has come out recently that the drug companies that developed these antidepressants have hidden much of the research that found no statistical improvement in mood and only released the positive research. They can still help some people though. My fiancee was on Wellbutrin and Paxil for about a year each, and she found that her mood wasn't any better with those than without. But she went on Celexa about a month ago, and she swears it's helped her tremendously.

Another alternative to drugs she should consider if she has major depressive disorder is cognitive/behavioral therapy. It's definitely a more expensive option, but everything I've seen points to that as one of the better treatments for depression because it helps to stop the negative thoughts and behaviors that are so typical with this disorder.
anti depressants aren't proven for use in people under 18 (suicide seems to be a side effect)

EDIT: tell me if i'm wrong, i quite possibly could be
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Weed brah
Quote by GmacD
anti depressants aren't proven for use in people under 18 (suicide seems to be a side effect)

EDIT: tell me if i'm wrong, i quite possibly could be

It's not proven but there's a 50% increase in suicidal tendencies for people under 21 on Prozac
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
It's not proven but there's a 50% increase in suicidal tendencies for people under 21 on Prozac

i knew i heard somthing about it but i couldn't remember exactly what
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
for all those telling me not to diagnose her like this please forgive me im just concerned for her, , thats why we are going to the doctor to find out for sure.
I am on Lexapro, and while they were fantastic at first, and I am nowhere near as bad as I was before, things are starting to go downhill for me again. Anti-depressants do not make things instantly better. And those 3 weeks where you wait for them to kick in are truly the worst. I was thinking about suicide the whole time, and was dangerously close to doing it a few times. My point is, when you take her, if the doctor doesn't already point it out, tell her that its not a quick fix, and it also isn't cured per se with meds. Keep an eye on her, and look out for her.

Good luck dude, its crap, but be there for her

Sanity is not statistical