I need a good acoustic guitar and am thinking about getting a EC. Sometimes I like to add a few effects to my tone and also for recording. So what are the pros and cons of electro acoustics. Also when I am buying what should I be looking for and what to avoid? Also what do they sound like when unplugged. I'd think that some of the cut away ones are less bulky than a traditional acoustic.

Thanks
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
I need a good acoustic guitar and am thinking about getting a EC. Sometimes I like to add a few effects to my tone and also for recording. So what are the pros and cons of electro acoustics. Also when I am buying what should I be looking for and what to avoid? Also what do they sound like when unplugged. I'd think that some of the cut away ones are less bulky than a traditional acoustic.

Thanks

Electros sound pretty much the same when unplugged there arent any problems really, they take well to effects and obviously theyre useful for playing live as they can be heard. I have a brunswick cutaway and it plays great with a nice full sound so i dont think you need to worry about much
Con: You can't remove your electronics.

How often do you plan on playing plugged in? If it is less than half the time, I'd say go with removable electronics on a standard acoustic.
Personally, I tend to dislike most of the guitars that come with onboard electronics, and I want NOTHING to do with anything that has a "barn door" style installation.

You start your post with "I need a good acoustic guitar...", and I agree...just get that.

One of the problems that I have with onboard/included electronics is that they always seem to be tweaked in such a way as to make the axe sound better than it really is, which always means some sort of coloration, usually a scooped-mid, overly bright and grainy high-end eq...and they all sound the SAME.

Get a good ACOUSTIC guitar that plays well, has good intonation and has a warm tone that speaks to you; you can always add the pickups later, and then you not only have a choice in the matter, but if it craps out somewhere down the road, you can yank it the hell out of there and you still have your nice acoustic guitar.

BTW, I've been playing for longer than I care to admit, and after trying, buying and abandoning several decent but expensive systems, I am SOLD on the K&K Pure Western Mini. Best acoustic guitar pickup on the market, IMHO, especially for the price.
Quote by Jiro from GLAY

Thanks

*CRINGE!* Please don't add too many effects to your tone. Please! The acoustic tone is what gives the acoustic guitar its character. It's what sets it apart from electrics. (DISCLAIMER: That's just my personal opinion.)

Also, the best way to record an acoustic guitar is to play it unplugged and mic it (figuring out the best way to go about micing it is a task in itself). That's not always true, though. I've heard some metal songs that with acoustic guitar parts with a tone that sounded absolutely awful--but somehow it still worked.

But to summarize, get an acoustic without the electronics.

Oh, and for crying out loud, search, man! This has been discussed a lot on here.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
While I love my acoustic electrics- a Jon Kammerer and an Ovation- there is a noticeable difference in the quality/volume of the sound they project versus my full acoustic guitar.

Of the 2, the JK has the warmest sound- its a walnut body- but its pretty shallow. Still, due to its design, it projects a bit more than most slimline acoustic-electrics.

The Ovation I own is a single-cutaway full-bowl Elite. Like most Ovations, its sound is pretty bright, similar to, but not quite the same as a maple guitar. Because of its full-body size, it projects extremely well. However, if I don't close it properly, I can get some rattle from the battery compartment.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!