I've got some files on my computer, mpeg layer 3 audio files (Stravinsky for those who may care )
Now some of them are fine
But some of them, on the file details have only the file name and this extension type (the same as the working files), but they refuse to open in anything, they refuse to be converted, they won't let me change their properties, they'll literally do nothing

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the problem may be? Or how I can get them to open in Winamp/iTunes/Audacity (to convert them) or anything at all?

Thanks in advance
Basically sounds like corruption, or perhaps that you downloaded them and the downloads didn't finish. Are the file sizes okay? They're all like ~5MB or so, nothing below 0.5MB?

High five for stavers! o/
It sounds like someone's messed around with the extensions, it could just be any random file that someone's changed the extension of, so they could be pretty much anything.
Quote by gen0doom
It sounds like someone's messed around with the extensions, it could just be any random file that someone's changed the extension of, so they could be pretty much anything.

Winamp should still pick em up as MP3s, even if the extension has been changed.
Quote by Stormx

..just about any application will open a file, regardless of the extension, just so long as the data is the same, and the header is intact.
Quote by Stormx

My thoughts exactly

Quote by Stormx
Basically sounds like corruption, or perhaps that you downloaded them and the downloads didn't finish. Are the file sizes okay? They're all like ~5MB or so, nothing below 0.5MB?

High five for stavers! o/

The file sizes are all consistent with what I'd expect, the download definitely finished (I seed for a long time once I'm done)
They must've been corrupt to start with then
Sodomy. *deletes from computer*
How rather irritating
Quote by tushmeister
My thoughts exactly

The file sizes are all consistent with what I'd expect, the download definitely finished (I seed for a long time once I'm done)
They must've been corrupt to start with then
Sodomy. *deletes from computer*
How rather irritating

I'd report it. If you're reporting the waffles version of The Rite Of Spring / The Firebird Suite, it's fine I'm listening to it right now.

Quote by identityxcrysis
..just about any application will open a file, regardless of the extension, just so long as the data is the same, and the header is intact.

Always the case on Linux/Mac, not always on Windows. Windows is still tied into file extensions. Most well-written apps will go of metadata/magic bits, but not all.