Page 1 of 2
Anyone else beta testing? What do you guys think of the beta? Any favorite/least favorite changes or features?

Personally, I think the beta release of 7 is better than the final release of Vista, haha.

EDIT: Here's the link to the download :http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx
Last edited by dmakian at Jan 11, 2009,
Use your imagination.

I'll probably wait for the full thing to come out; I'm fairly happy with Vista Ultimate at this point.
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
I have the same complaints as I have about vista:

1) Completely uninuitive. There's like a million icons in the control panel. Compare with ubuntu or mac os x, where everything is neatly and properly organised
2) Ugly as piss. Aero sucks. Try running more than one maximised application and compare it to the experience of Windows 2000.
3) Windows classic is still a shell of its former self. Bring back win2k/winxp-style Windows Classic!!
4) Doesn't really introduce any new features. An incremental ubuntu upgrade (every 6 months) brings new versions of almost every app you use, with new/improved functionality. It also adds thousands of drivers. So far all I've seen in Windows 7 is a taskbar without words. Wow, try innovation
Ugh, I hope we don't have to fight with Linux and Mac fans here.

For the record, I've been known to run Ubuntu on occasion.

Anyway.
I personally think the Win7 beta is great.
I downloaded the leak a few days ago. I partitioned off about 20 gigs on my hard drive, and installed it and I've been using it all week.
The new taskbar is great
Although I'm not sure, with the way the new quick launch is, and the fact that so many programs ask you to install a quick launch icon, if it was the best idea. But at the moment, I love it.
I love the blue vibe, more than the green from Vista. It boots way faster, and my desktop loads almost immediately.
The UAC is quieter which is a total plus.
It's far speedier than Vista is too. And the addition of jumplists with WLAN and other programs works great.
I personally think it's a great operating system, and I see no problems with it.

And for the record
I hated Vista at the start, but despite the bad press it gets, after SP1 one it's become a great OS, and I enjoy using now.
BUT, Win7, at this moment is better.
I would try it, but the PC hasn't even got the minimum specs to try Vista. lol
Quote by ctb

lol
It just finished downloading for me (started yesterday).

I'm gonna try it in Virtualbox first then probably partition my hard drive.
Life is lame so let me eat your brain
Quote by ctb

Windows 7 is slightly more forgiving than Vista on low specs.
I have an old Dell Dimension 1100 with only 512 megs of RAM. I installed Vista on a slave drive.
Couldn't do a damn thing, I was surprised it even booted.
I did the same thing with 7, and, while it's not very fast, it at least runs.
So if you try it, you're not gonna get good benchmarks out of it, but you can at least try out the features.
But I wouldn't expect to be using anything like Aero, AeroPeek, AeroShake, etc.
If you have lower specs, the OS automatically disables Aero, and won't let you select it.
Which sucks, 'cos I find Windows Vista/Windows 7 Basic a hideous hideous theme.
Quote by Vernalagnia

XKCD = best webcomic ever.
Of course, read the text you get when you hover over that picture.

EDIT: On the XKCD site, of course, not right here
EDIT^2: I don't think anyone really understands what this strip is trying to say...
Last edited by identityxcrysis at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Vernalagnia

X2, they can't seem to release an O.S. that works. I'll stick with free OpenSource ty.
Quote by Mad Marius
I'd rather bait a crocodile with my manhood than beta-test for Microsoft.

Every user of a microsoft OS is beta testing right up til SP2 or 3
Quote by Comrade Curry
Pretty cool haven't done much with it, but windows is making some definite improvements.

Agreed.

I've only installed a few programs but they all seem to work well and I love the new UI
i'm going to install it onto a partition of my hard drive, how easy will it be to uninstall? is it just a case of formating the partition and then adding it back as main hard drive?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
cant get my download to start but i got my activation code :-(

update: got download to start now on to my next question can i just install this like i did with ubuntu and shrink my drive and install it on the new drive...

does anyone have specific directions on how to do this? I accidentally formatted my system the first time i tried to dual boot with ubuntu so yea...
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Last edited by dannyniceboy at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by dannyniceboy
cant get my download to start but i got my activation code :-(

update: got download to start now on to my next question can i just install this like i did with ubuntu and shrink my drive and install it on the new drive...

does anyone have specific directions on how to do this? I accidentally formatted my system the first time i tried to dual boot with ubuntu so yea...

If you're talking about dual booting then yes you can.

What OS are you running now? If it's a previous version of Windows then it should be straight forward. What format is your drive?
Ran it on virtual machine, seemed pretty cool, need to properly install it though
when i click "download now" it starts to load something then it says done but nothing happens, any ideas what's going on there? i'm using Firefox for my browser.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by twistedmaggot
when i click "download now" it starts to load something then it says done but nothing happens, any ideas what's going on there? i'm using Firefox for my browser.

I couldn't download it in Firefox either, I had to use Internet Explorer
Oh look computer nerds, everyone point and laugh

*Points and laughs*
If you try to correct me
I will become alot more wise and insightful than you can possibly imagine.
wow windows 7 looks pretty good. a lot better than vista [which i have at the moment] ill probably get it when it gets released though. i need a new laptop, my current one is getting slow and also my dad said he would take it off me

any ideas when its going to be released? late 2009? early to mid 2010?
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by Stormx
Every user of a microsoft OS is beta testing right up til SP2 or 3

True, true...
Quote by freedoms_stain
Any strings attached to downloading this?

No, it's a free open beta. You have to have a live account to download it from MS, but they are only giving out like 10 different keys so you can find those somewhere else and download it from a torrent and it will be exactly the same.

EDIT: I have a 32bit and 64bit key if you want it.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jan 13, 2009,
my first impressions of it are it just looks like Vista but more transparent. hopefully though i'll get to to find out some new stuff about it next week when i have to leave my mac for a couple days.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
lol, installed windows 7 in a VM, was going well until I installed Kaspersky AV and updated it and it BSOD'd on me.

I've never had a BSOD on XP.

edit: did it again when updating Kaspersky, knew I should have went with AVG, thought I'd try something new and it bit me on the arse
Last edited by freedoms_stain at Jan 13, 2009,
i haven't downloaded it or anything, but from what i've heard and such, it blows vista completely out of the water. it performs much better, boots up quicker, and comes with better apps.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Any strings attached to downloading this?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5130902/giz-explains-the-windows-7-beta-fine-print?skyline=true&s=x

that should pretty much point out everything for you.
Quote by StormX
I have the same complaints as I have about vista:

1) Completely uninuitive. There's like a million icons in the control panel. Compare with ubuntu or mac os x, where everything is neatly and properly organised
2) Ugly as piss. Aero sucks. Try running more than one maximised application and compare it to the experience of Windows 2000.
3) Windows classic is still a shell of its former self. Bring back win2k/winxp-style Windows Classic!!
4) Doesn't really introduce any new features. An incremental ubuntu upgrade (every 6 months) brings new versions of almost every app you use, with new/improved functionality. It also adds thousands of drivers. So far all I've seen in Windows 7 is a taskbar without words. Wow, try innovation

try innovation?

try problem steps recorder, an application which a user can set to record every step you're doing on your computer (your mouse, keyboard, the windows environment) to help troubleshoot your problem with a tech support agent.
or how about the ability to utilize your CPU as a graphics accelerator, getting rid of the requirement of an integrated GPU?
application crash resiliency? which serves as a trial and error software for your OS.

yeah, no new futures .

plus, it's so much easier for Ubuntu developers to release a new updated OS every 6 months with its standard updated applications, because there's only like a handful of software to update. plus, if you want to update your software in a windows environment, keep in mind that it's MUCH easier to update software in windows than it is in linux. anyone who doesn't say so is a filthy liar.
Sent from my iPad.
on my laptop [dual (triple?) boot with vista/ubuntu] it starts up faster, doesn't take half an hour to shut down and its slightly faster then vista in games, I think it look promising but it feels more like vista sp3 (not sp2, cuz I got the beta for that) then a new release.

lets see what the future holds.

btw: all those fanboys of linux/mac/windows suck! just boot multiple os and get the best of all worlds

(I do hate mac tho, it's a smug os which doesn't have more functionality/stability then linux, but you have to pay for it, at least windows can run games, mac can't do jack)

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
^^ Updating software in ubuntu is incredibly easy. I don't use Ubuntu anymore though.

On topic, I downloaded Windows 7 beta and ran it on a virtual machine. I gave it 512mb of RAM and it was surprisingly fast. I actually like it as an OS, they appear to have stolen a few ideas from linux though, namely:

New taskbar, KDE anyone?
Powershell? lol
and something else I forgot.

Doesn't bother me though because if its a good idea then use it. I want to know when they'll implement Virtual Desktops though, as essential as tabbed browsing imho.

At the moment I dual boot XP and Arch Linux. I'll probably upgrade my computer in a year or so and dual boot Arch and my free copy of Windows 7. Which means I have a free copy of Vista Business to do what I want with in the meantime...
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Page 1 of 2