UG has inspired me to want to build a guitar.
I'd buy the neck off eBay, cause I really just don't have the tools or finesse to carve a neck. I might refret the neck so it would feel new.

1.) Can I use a jig saw to cut the body? I'd do something simple, probably a V or Explorer shape.

If I CAN use a jigsaw...
2.) What's a good cheap router? It can't be one of them router tables, I don't have room for one in my house.
3.) Could I use a dremel to carve the neck pocket and pickup cavities and the control cavity? I really don't know how they work. They seem cheaper than routers too.

4.)Can I use poplar, pine, or plywood for the body? I don't care much about tone, I'm not a tone freak. I just need cheap stuff, and I have no lumberyards near me.

EDIT: I know this isn't really a true build, cause I'm not making the neck. It's more of a.... half-build.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 11, 2009,
You are building the body, so there is a build component to it.

1) yes, a jigsaw will do fine, but it may require lots more sanding depending on how well you cut your wood.
2)There are a couple, PM Bobby (metalwarrior40) about some cheap tools, he may be able to help.
3)A dremel would take a long time and probably give you burns, but it it completely possible.
4)Plywood won't hold up structurally to the string pull, but there have been many bodies made of poplar, and pine was used on a good bunch of telecasters way back.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to order wood from LPAddict, he's got some awesome tonewoods.

Hope that can direct you a little bit!
------

Shwiggity.
^ Thanks!

EDIT: Any other opinions?
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 11, 2009,
If you build the body its more than a lot of the 'builds' that get posted here

A jig saw will work but its not really the best, like it might be hard to do the horns as you are the one steadying it on the guitar keeping the blade vertical, so if it slips you will have a nasty gouge.

A dremel isnt really powerful enough for routing duties you might knacker the motor hogging out large cavities. Plus it needs to be able to hold at least a 1/4" bearing bit for routing cavities.

Contrary to deftones, plywood is fine structurally, although many assume it will have bad tone, poplar is also good enough for body wood, pine has been used but remember its a softwood.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i know telecasters were made out of pine, and it is AWESOME tone wood, however it isnt very strong. plywood isnt terrible, but if you get a few pieces, youd have to get the right thickness, and you have to clamp the hell out of it, and hope it holds up. poplar isnt a very popular wood, however it has some good structural integrity. if you can get your hands on some poplar, use it. however, even if you dont have any lumberyards around you, you may have a wood working area around you. try looking up cabinet makers or fine wood working companies. they'll have stuff like mahogany and ash, and nice woods, that are cheap. i got a piece of ash for like 8 bux, its like an inch and 3/4 thick, 18 inches long, and 8 inches wide.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
^I'll look into that.