OK so I have a DD-7, and since I'm the only guitarist in my band I quite often use the "Hold" function to loop riffs and then solo over them.

Anyway sometimes I want to like fade just the loop out, but leave a simple lead line playing over it. How would I go about doing this? Would a volume pedal plugged in beside the Delay work or would that mute the whole signal? Is there some kind of expression pedal that'll do this? Or another looping pedal that would allow me to do it?

I've got a Peavey Valveking so I've got the Effects loop if that helps.

Also can anyone recommend a good volume pedal? I've heard good things about the Ernie Ball Jr and the Visual one (the one with the lights).

Ok this is what I'm looking at:


Ernie Ball



Visual Sound LED volume pedal.

Can someone tell me the difference between the Ernie Ball Jr and this pedal:


They both appear to be the same, but one is £50 cheaper...

Or should I save up and get this? :


ie is the pan etc useful?

And how would I go about linking these up to effect only the loop?

Thanks, any help appreciated.
The way you'll need to do it is quite complex, but should, work:

You'll need a stereo cable.

EDIT: There you go. Because of my atrocious paint-writing I'll list what you need here:

1x Stereo to 2x Mono Cable - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/stp-204/66387

That will let you play in a loop, play over it and fade the loop out while leaving your live playing intact.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jan 13, 2009,
Hey thanks.

Out of interest, you couldn't recommend/warn against any certain volume pedals, could you? I really don't know what the hell I'm looking at
I have a Jim Dunlop Voume pedal, I wouldn't get that for your application. TBH, Volume pedals are six of one and half a dozen of the other, there's not much to choose between any of them. The standard amongst volume pedals is probably the Ernie Ball Jr, if you can afford it