I was playing around on my amp a couple minutes ago and I had it the master vol at 5 and it started cutting in and out. This is a solid state amp and it was cold last night, does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Jan 11, 2009,
Checked cables, anything in your loop, guitar electronics (<- this especially)?

If its not those, make sure your speaker is fine.

If not any of the above, plan on replacing the amp. If you're not an amp tech then dont try ****ing around on the inside of the amp, high voltages =/= living to talk about it. Take it in, some connections probably became lose, etc.

Rule of thumb:
Tube amp stops working, replace some parts in it.
SS amp stops working, plan on replacing the amp.
Pretty sure its not the cables, I tried it on both of mine.

not sure if its the speaker, It was cutting in and out and then I let it sit on for awhile then I came back to it and it sounded fine, then it started cutting in and out again after like a minute of playing it. I think there's a short somewhere in it.

There is a spot on the corner of the amp where it looks like it was dropped. Could that drop make a loose connection or short in it?
It might not be your amp. It could well be:

-Cables
-Jack input in the guitar
-Wiring in the guitar
-Jack input in the amp
-The amp maybe damaged

Get a friends guitar and cable to rule out problems with your guitar by using your guitar with his cable, then try your cable with your mates guitar to see if its the cable. Then if its still playing up then its probably the amp.

Basically, get another guitar and amp and run checks on your guitar and cable by trying it with equipment that is definitely working.

You'll get to which bit of equipment it is, then take that to your guitar shop and get it fixed.
Dropping an amp can break connections, yes. Take it in to a tech because if anything is obviously wrong then he/she will be able to either fix it or tell you its not repairable.

If you dont want to take it in;

1) Dont touch anything suspicious.
2) When taking it apart, be very careful.
3) Im not resonsible if you get hurt.
4) Dont touch capacitors, transformers, etc.

Try taking your amp cover/shield off and just look. See if theres anything obviously broken like a broken PCB (circuit board), a broken solder connection, etc.

One thing you should check reguardless is the input jack. These can be faulty and can be the cause of many problems. Check to make sure that some wire isnt moving around or something similar. Make sure there's a solid connection to it.

Sorry if this doesnt work, cant think of much more atm.
Quote by jarudy
Dropping an amp can break connections, yes. Take it in to a tech because if anything is obviously wrong then he/she will be able to either fix it or tell you its not repairable.

One thing you should check reguardless is the input jack. These can be faulty and can be the cause of many problems. Check to make sure that some wire isnt moving around or something similar. Make sure there's a solid connection to it.

+1 to all of this. If it isn't the input jack I would take it in. The drop could certainly mess something up, especially if the amp was cold when it was dropped. Cold can make plastic parts much more brittle and prone to snap/crack/break. Good luck.
moved the amp, took o ff the back to look, nothin suspicious...now its workin right....afraid to move it again...back still off...what the heck??
Quote by RabbidWolf
moved the amp, took o ff the back to look, nothin suspicious...now its workin right....afraid to move it again...back still off...what the heck??

That post makes me think there is a loose or failing connection somewhere that is currently settled in the right spot. Not really a cracked or snapped circuit board. I could be wrong, I'm no expert on failing SS amps that's for sure.
thats what we think also...thanks for the suggestions everyone
this is exactly what happens with my amp all the time and i dont know what to fukin do!!
SS amps tend to be disposable when they start acting up. As usually you can buy another one for the cost of diagnostics and repair. Dropping it can definately screw stuff up. Could be as simple as a pot or a jack the impact could separated something from the PC board. I have a SS amp somebody gave me one of the pots where it solders to the board was broke it was fairly obvious. Or it could be the PC board cracked when it was dropped then its done. Sorry we cant be more helpful just the way SS amps are. Tube amps are a whole lot easier to fix.