I may buy a PRS Custom SE for $400, good deal, but I really want a tremolo. Not a locking one, just a regular one for occasional uses.

Since the PRS has a stop tail bridge and it's only one unit, how would I go about doing this? I don't want to route anything and ruin the finish or anything.
to fit a tremelo in, you'd have to route it since the stoptail bridge in only held in there by the two bolts i assume whereas a tremelo need to go though the entire thickness of the body
Quote by marko'd
to fit a tremelo in, you'd have to route it since the stoptail bridge in only held in there by the two bolts i assume whereas a tremelo need to go though the entire thickness of the body

Hmm, you're kinda' right. I might just save more and not buy this used one and get a PRS SE Custom 24.

The PRS is almost to beautiful to mod besides pick ups.
look into stetsbars, they're made for carved top guitars (like Les Pauls) and function like a floyd rose (pull/dive). This sounds a little extreme, so maybe there's a bigsby that would mount on there...

ooh... that would look snazzyyyyy...
------

Shwiggity.
A Bigsby on a PRS would look amazing, but I don't think there is one that will get on the PRS.
Well, here's the picture of the PRS I may buy. Does it look to have a tremolo bridge without the arm?

That's as big as the picture gets =\
nope, as far as I can see, there's no trem, it looks like a wraparound tailpiece. However, it's a beautiful guitar, and I'd personally rather it not have a trem arm, and just work on my vibrato technique!

But, If you're deadset on a trem, then I'd think a stets or a bigsby would work well, there aren't many top-mount bridges around that I know of...
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by TSelman
I really want a tremolo.

Since the PRS has a stop tail bridge and it's only one unit, how would I go about doing this? I don't want to route anything and ruin the finish or anything.

You buy a guitar with a tremolo bridge. It is a lot easier in the end. And you don't hack up a beautiful PRS.

You can route it out, but the time effort and money used to do it makes it easier to just buy a guitar with a trem. Also doing this will turn the value of the PRS into near 0. Also, if you've never done this, don't make your first time on a PRS.
I think I'll buy this PRS, and get a tremolo some other time in a different guitar. A cheap barely used PRS, and that Vox practice amp comes with it, both for $400, with gig bag 'n some strings. I'm sold.
I have the PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow, and I looked into this a while back too.

You can get a Stetsbar ($200) or a Bigsby (which would require drilling).

Drilling for a Bigsby isn't very complicated, but the Bigsby would cover up a bit of the maple top, and it would adversely affect the tuning stability.
Quote by TSelman
I think I'll buy this PRS, and get a tremolo some other time in a different guitar. A cheap barely used PRS, and that Vox practice amp comes with it, both for $400, with gig bag 'n some strings. I'm sold.

fackin' eh buddy! it's a steal!
------

Shwiggity.
Yeah, considering that Vox Pathfinder 15R is not bad at all for a practice amp. I got a VK112, not that great now, but does its job. Gotta' get me a Bugera 6262 head with a 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30's...godly.