ok, I have a Crate V18-212 amp. I like the amp but i want to upgrade it to a more metal sound. I just purchased it and really have no idea how tubes work and the different effects they have on the sound. (preamp vs power tubes) Should I change the speakers, preamp or power tubes.......or should I change them all. I play Metallica type music and am looking for that sound. I have 2 pedals (Boss MT2 and the Metal Muff). They sound good but they distort way too much and get a lot of feedback. I would like to hear what you guys think I should go with. I was looking at the Eminence Patriot Black Powder as replacement speakers. How do you think these would fare?
I dont think a speaker change would help much. with the metal muff try using less gain in the settings? maybe another distortion is what you need. or you could get an od and eq to get metal. thats how i get early metallica out of my c30
A speaker change may be a good idea,and a tube change as well.It's a cheaper amp so I'd imagine that those components aren't that great.From what I've heard about the black powder it's a good metal/hard rock speaker that focuses on mids but I'm not 100% sure,some research would be a good idea.The tubes are a factor too.12ax7 tubes are higher gain than most other pre-amp tubes I think.I'm not a tube amp vet so I might get some flack for saying that but according to a couple sites I visited looking for new tubes they are.

Another option is getting an EQ pedal to help push and shape your tone.They do wonders for flat and muddy signals and they're pretty affordable.A new 10 band from MXR runs anywhere from 100-130 USD .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You're not EQing the metal muff right, either that or the gain is too high. And I don't know if you are or not, but make sure you run the metal muff on the clean channel.

And get rid of the MT2, unmodded it's one of the worst pedals out there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I have the v33 212. I found more luck by using an overdrive pedal and EQing as well as boosting the signal with other pedals to get a good crunchy metal sound
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
No I'm not EQing anything. I'm trying to run the Crate as clean as I can. It's only one channel. I have the mids turned almost all the way down, bass is at 5, trebble at 7, gain at 2 and reverb at 1
Go for a Celestion G12-T75 setup. The scooped mids will help out with metal sounds. Definately check out an EQ pedal, itll work wonders for your sound if you use it right. A good overdrive pedal should help as well, and with the EQ, it should sound pretty good.
I have a fulltone fulldrive 2 OD, its a good match for the V series
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I have the same setup. Cut the reverb out...its way too thick on these amps. I'd push your bass up more on the amp, ADD MIDS, and leave the treble where its at. As far as the Metal Muff goes, Scoop your mids here (as opposed to the EQ on the amp, the mids will sound better if they come from the amp imo). This should be a decent metal sound here. However, I also use a MXR 10-band to get even more tone. I usually only use metal sounds on this amp for practice so I don't have to carry my Windsor around (I use this amp for cleans live because they are amazing). I agree with stradivari310 about the MT2, its not that great. I sold mine when I got the metal muff. Good luck.
I find that with my Classic 30 and Metal Muff the highs are way to...well...high I usually back off on the Treble on both the amp and the Metal Muff and it gives me a bit more clarity. I have the mids around 10 or 11 o'clock and I turn the bass up a good bit to give a bit of chunk to the sound. Also make sure you are on the clean channel of your amp. If you're getting too much distortion back off on the MM's distortion and up the volume a bit.
Last edited by chip46 at Jan 11, 2009,
The metal muff is not versitile(sp?) I was running the identical setup , till i got my boss GT8 :P. MUCH happier now!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by lasher10
No I'm not EQing anything. I'm trying to run the Crate as clean as I can. It's only one channel.

Not EQing anything? Your trying to get heavy crunch but keep in clean? How is it that you plan on changing your sound if you don't want to change your settings?

Boost the bass and the treble, put the mids at about half, kill the reverb, get an OD or play with your metal muff and boost the signal, thats just generally what you do to push an amp to metal.
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Here's what I would do, get rid of the distortion pedals, turn the amp all the way up and get an overdrive pedal. I recommend the Jekyll and Hyde, it has overdrive and distortion.
I'm not saying that I don't want to EQ, I'm just saying that I don't have an EQ. Lots of different ideas, but only a couple suggest that I change speakers or tubes?
Quote by lasher10
I'm not saying that I don't want to EQ, I'm just saying that I don't have an EQ. Lots of different ideas, but only a couple suggest that I change speakers or tubes?

You could change the speakers and/or tubes...but its going to cost more than the other ideas mentioned...and will do little to get a metal sound out of this amp. This amp isn't exactly made for metal...you're going to need to EQ it and use an overdrive/distortion pedal to get this amp to do metal.
Yeah, this amp definitely was not intended for metal. I know Musicians friend had them dirt cheap end of last year. I almost bit, to have an amp to tinker with, but I agree you are going to need to EQ and use some pedals to get it sounding metal.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Yeah, this amp definitely was not intended for metal. I know Musicians friend had them dirt cheap end of last year. I almost bit, to have an amp to tinker with, but I agree you are going to need to EQ and use some pedals to get it sounding metal.

Yeah I got mine dirt cheap. They are great sounding amps. I mainly use mine for cleans anyway...and I already had an MXR 10-band and a Metal Muff when I bought this so I knew I could get something out of it if I need to use this amp for practice.
ok....I returned the Boss MT2 and got the Boss Equilizer GE-7. Our Best Buy here sells music equipment too. They had it on sale for $89 plus I had a $30 gift card and $25 in reward zone money so it was like $40 after tax. They don't sell the MXR line anymore, so I'll screw around with the Boss and see how it goes. I still think I'm going to change the speakers. Was thinking about comboing the G12H30 with the Greenback.
Gear:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR (black cherry)
Schecter Tempest Custom (white)
Amps:
Line6 Bogner Spider Valve 112
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
Last edited by lasher10 at Jan 12, 2009,
*bump*
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
If you want to replace the speaker , Celestion Vintage 30s are the standard metal speaker.
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Just an update......on recommendations, I put 2- G12H30's and it sounds really good.
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
Clips please?

I'm gonna do a speaker change down the line, I was considering those
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
So, instead of buying a $80 pedal you put 200+ dollars worth of speakers into the amp?

I love this forum, so helpful.
Quote by GuitarDTO

They discontinued the V series in exchange for the blackheart.
ok.....I just installed JJ High Gain Retube Kit from Eurotubes. Love the sound!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gear:
Guitars:
Amps:
Line6 Spider III 75
Pedals:
Dime Crybaby
Last edited by lasher10 at Mar 21, 2009,