The Reverb on my Carvin Legacy 212 Combo amp isn't working (hasn't been since i bought it, it was used) and my guitar teacher and I have tried everything we could to fix it and nothing helps. First, I replaced the tube, as the manual instructs. That didn't help at all, so I replaced the reverb tank. Now I still achieved no actual reverb, but when the reverb was turned up there was a slight hum. So we opened up the amp and found the resistor absolutely fried, the color of ashes. Then we proceded to replace the resistor, and this is where I'm not sure if everything we did was correct. My teacher didn't actually have the correct value resistor, but he said it was fine to fuse two lesser value ones together as long as they were fused parallel to each other, close to the correct value, and not under the required value. so we did that, and when we tried it out, we still got no reverb, and the new pair started smoking as well. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Would getting one single, correct value reisistor help? And before anyone asks if i bought the wrong tube/reverb tank, no, I'm 100% sure they were the correct model. Help please?
Last edited by CallmeTravis at Jan 11, 2009,
Definately try a new single resistor. If that doesnt work, then take it to a shop.
Quote by CallmeTravis
Yes, I should. But everything my teacher explained to me sounded completely logical, the pair should've worked. I'm just really wondering if there's some other component we overlooked.

Usually when someone tells you something will work, then it catches on fire, they were wrong.
Quote by imicius
Usually when someone tells you something will work, then it catches on fire, they were wrong.

Dumb question alert, but have you tried it when it's cranked?
I find that I only get any proper reverb when the tubes are screaming like little bitches.

At any rate, send to to a proper tech and get it professionally sorted.
Quote by imicius

Is it possible something was wrong with one of the resistors, or it wasn't soldered on well, and it was only running one, under valued resistor?

Quote by Retro Rocker

Dumb question alert, but have you tried it when it's cranked?
I find that I only get any proper reverb when the tubes are screaming like little bitches.

At any rate, send to to a proper tech and get it professionally sorted.

I've tried other legacys before, and the reverb worked, not cranked. So far, It looks like I need to replace the resistor.
you can put two resistors together in series as well, doesn't need to be in parallel to act as one resistor, but the value changes depending on whether it is in parallel or series.

However, if that resistor fried out, it probably was not rated for a high enough wattage, especially if they were little radioshack 1/8th resistors or something.
Quote by CallmeTravis
Is it possible something was wrong with one of the resistors, or it wasn't soldered on well, and it was only running one, under valued resistor?

I suppose, and there are people in here who know far more about electronics then me, but I would probably just go to Radioshack and get the right part so my amp doesn't catch on fire.
Hmm, I may need to get mine checked then.
I planned on taking it to a shop anyway just to have a them give it a general look-over to make sure it's fine since I bought it used.

Hope you figure out what the problem is, fantastic amp.
Quote by al112987
you can put two resistors together in series as well, doesn't need to be in parallel to act as one resistor, but the value changes depending on whether it is in parallel or series.

However, if that resistor fried out, it probably was not rated for a high enough wattage...

The resistor that was fried was the original one, so unless someone at Carvin screwed up, that can't be right. Of course it would explain why replacing it didn't work, as that wouldn't have been high enough either.