I want a new amp. I'm currently running an epi les paul through a roland cube 15x. I had been looking to buy the epiphone blues custom and an OD-pedal but that would be all the money I have and I've got no chance to purchase one untill february (or probably later). So recently I've been looking at the blackheart handsome devil which is cheaper of course, but I can't try one out aroud here. I can however order one and get it and an OD within a week.

So would the blackheart handsome devil be a good choice for me. I play blues, blues-rock and hardrock but also some metal and punk, so I would like something versitile.

any other suggestions would be welcome, but keep it under or around 500 euros

thanks
You would need a pedal with the handsome devil. It was boredline no gain by it self. I was looking for one for a few months and I played one with EMG's in my store since all they sell is crate and esp and stuff. Even with metal pickups it had barely any gain.

Blues? Yes
Blues Rock? Overdrive
Punk? Yeah sure
Hardrock/metal? Distortion and EQ.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It wont do the metal without an od, or maybe a straight up distortion

then again neither will the Blues custom,
but The blackheart is great for all the other stuff(unless you use much gain for punk)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
If you need versitility I would look at a Peavey ValveKing and an OD. The OD has a nice raunchier sound for your metal, punk, and hard rock, then the clean channel with a pedal for smoother, subtle OD is great for your bluesy stuff. I really hate to sound like a fanboy, but it really is a jack-of-all-trades amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
If you need versitility I would look at a Peavey ValveKing and an OD. The OD has a nice raunchier sound for your metal, punk, and hard rock, then the clean channel with a pedal for smoother, subtle OD is great for your bluesy stuff. I really hate to sound like a fanboy, but it really is a jack-of-all-trades amp.

Personally. I would derecommend the valveking. But try it.

I own it, and I've been trying to sell it for so long.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jan 11, 2009,
VKs are pretty good. My guitar doesnt have pickups suited for higher gain really, and its a semi-hollow, but it can do punk and modern rock well without any pedals. Look into Blackstar HT amps. Im pretty interested in em myself, and look to be a good competitor for Blackhearts. The head with a VJ cab or Blackheart cab would be a good set-up.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Jan 11, 2009,
^Blackstar's making budget amps now? I'll have to check that out.

10" speakers aren't really worse, they just tend to be a little more mid heavy than 12"ers
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I don't really know why everyone on this fourm has such a hard-on for the Valveking; every time I've tried it, the amp seemed very boring and stale. In addition, if you get a VK, you pretty much have to mod it.

I do, however, have a massive boner for the Blackhearts, and my next amp purchase will likely be a Blackheart. That said, neither amp will do modern metal without an overdrive pedal in front of it.
I realy won't be playing that much metal and it would not be the br00talz more like NWOBHM and I play almost no punk unless with this one guy i sometimes (rarely) jam with. but thanks for the suggestions, i'll deffinately look into VK's.
Quote by hungryhobo741
I realy won't be playing that much metal and it would not be the br00talz more like NWOBHM and I play almost no punk unless with this one guy i sometimes (rarely) jam with. but thanks for the suggestions, i'll deffinately look into VK's.

If you get a VK, be sure to read this thread on modding it.
imicuis: The 112 is a very, cheap, versital amp for us broke teenagers with either no or a very low paying jobs. That way we don't have to stick with our MGs and Spiders for another day while saving. We can have a decent amp, then, when we get money, throw a new speaker in and have a very nice (it's no Splawn, but you know what I mean) amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by classicrocker01
imicuis: The 112 is a very, cheap, versital amp for us broke teenagers with either no or a very low paying jobs. That way we don't have to stick with our MGs and Spiders for another day while saving. We can have a decent amp, then, when we get money, throw a new speaker in and have a very nice (it's no Splawn, but you know what I mean) amp.

Valveking ($419.99) + Celestion Vintage 30 ($119.00) = $538.99 (assuming you don't replace the tubes and you replace the speaker)

Blackheart Handsome Devil ($349.99) + Blackheart Speaker Cab ($159.99) = ($509.98)

The VK with a speaker swap would cost $29.01 more then buying the BH+Cab

If you did not replace the speaker at all, buying the VK112 instead of the Blackheart+Cab would save you $89.99

Assuming you work in the US, for minimum wage ($6.55), without any living expenses, it would take you ~64 hours of work before taxes to have the money for a VK sans speaker swap. The BH/Cab would take ~77, before taxes or living expenses.

I'm not saying the Blackheart is the only way to go, period. I am simply saying that the difference in the two amps price wise is not really that great, and the amount of effort it takes to make the Valveking sound good, to me, is not worth the extra $89.99 that it takes to get a BH/cab.

But once again, since what people like is relative, you should just try both side by side and decide for yourself.
ok, my local store apperantly doesn't do peavy either so I can't try one in the near future either but what I need to know is can the blackheart do blues to hardrock(with Od or distortion) or can't it
Quote by hungryhobo741
ok, my local store apperantly doesn't do peavy either so I can't try one in the near future either but what I need to know is can the blackheart do blues to hardrock(with Od or distortion) or can't it

Short answer: yes.
What about a Laney VC series amp? It will still need an overdrive pedal but the basic tone is very good and certainly has more life to the tone than a Valve King IMO

VC32 112 = £399
VC30 210 = £426
VC30 212 = £473
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I'm beginning to think I need to move because my local store doesn't have laney's either, they have aer, blackstar, bogner, fender, line6, marshal, mesa boogie, orange, roland and vox but nothing I want, everything is either a practice amp or 1000 euros
Quote by imicius
Valveking ($419.99) + Celestion Vintage 30 ($119.00) = $538.99 (assuming you don't replace the tubes and you replace the speaker)

Blackheart Handsome Devil ($349.99) + Blackheart Speaker Cab ($159.99) = ($509.98)

The VK with a speaker swap would cost $29.01 more then buying the BH+Cab

If you did not replace the speaker at all, buying the VK112 instead of the Blackheart+Cab would save you $89.99

Assuming you work in the US, for minimum wage ($6.55), without any living expenses, it would take you ~64 hours of work before taxes to have the money for a VK sans speaker swap. The BH/Cab would take ~77, before taxes or living expenses.

I'm not saying the Blackheart is the only way to go, period. I am simply saying that the difference in the two amps price wise is not really that great, and the amount of effort it takes to make the Valveking sound good, to me, is not worth the extra $89.99 that it takes to get a BH/cab.

But once again, since what people like is relative, you should just try both side by side and decide for yourself.

I know it's more expensive if you do a speaker swap, my argument is that it is much more versital than the BH. To get any OD on the BH without cranking it, you would need an pedal, and it won't do metal or hard rock as well as the VK. It does what it does well, but it is sort of limited at what it does. It is a very nice amp, but it's not for someone who wants versitility. Yes, if the TS could get it, it would be a good amp for him now that he's revealed that he doesn't play much metal. When I suggested the VK, I was under the impression that he played metal regularly. But I guess it doesn't really matter now that he found out he can't get either.

To TS: I would go for a Blackstar HT combo, I haven't tried one, but Blackstar has a reputation for being a very good brand of tube amps.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

TS, I don't know how much it is where you live, but have you tried an Orange Tiny Terror?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
TS, I don't know how much it is where you live, but have you tried an Orange Tiny Terror?

I think since he's looking in the range of the handsome devil and valveking that the Tiny Terror is a few hundred dollars out of his range.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You would need a pedal with the handsome devil. It was boredline no gain by it self. I was looking for one for a few months and I played one with EMG's in my store since all they sell is crate and esp and stuff. Even with metal pickups it had barely any gain.

Blues? Yes
Blues Rock? Overdrive
Punk? Yeah sure
Hardrock/metal? Distortion and EQ.

What? The Handsome Devil has some gain, it's not a gain monster ofc, but no gain? Blues rock needing an OD? Bullcrap.

Quote by classicrocker01

I've never heard a good sounding Valveking in real life. You need to mod them to the moon and back to get good sounds. It is the Jack of all trades, albeit nowhere near master of any.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Personally. I would derecommend the valveking. But try it.

I own it, and I've been trying to sell it for so long.

There's a reason he can't sell it
the Blackhearts have gain, for blues, classic rock, and that is it.
you need an OD for hard rock and a distortion+ EQ for SOME metal.

if you want to go blackheart they make combo amps as well i have the LG combo and they also sell the HD combo for $10 cheaper.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by JilaX^
What? The Handsome Devil has some gain, it's not a gain monster ofc, but no gain? Blues rock needing an OD? Bullcrap.

I've never heard a good sounding Valveking in real life. You need to mod them to the moon and back to get good sounds. It is the Jack of all trades, albeit nowhere near master of any.

There's a reason he can't sell it

We probably have different ideas of blues rock. You probably could do it without an overdrive. It has about as much gain as a valveking with gain on 1.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
eeh jerrre were u looking on the site of the store or actually went there (i think they can order laneys lol)(and dont forgt to take me with u when u buy it (5%off))
gear :epiphone g400 custom
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ

beaners gonna kick you in the face
Quote by the_bastard
eeh jerrre were u looking on the site of the store or actually went there (i think they can order laneys lol)(and dont forgt to take me with u when u buy it (5%off))

musicstore and thoman= cheaper, assumig the locals use listed prices
and yes they can order but I still can't try it out and I meant to go there today anyway and yeah i only checked out the site cause it was like 22:20 when I got the laney advice
Quote by hungryhobo741
musicstore and thoman= cheaper, assumig the locals use listed prices
and yes they can order but I still can't try it out and I meant to go there today anyway and yeah i only checked out the site cause it was like 22:20 when I got the laney advice

if u send me an sms tomorrow i maybe can come with u :p(but only like after 2o'clock )
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ

Last edited by the_bastard at Jan 13, 2009,
so I'm getting the blackheart but I have 2 more questions
1) combo or head and cab?
EDIT: nevermind 1
2) can I play it in my room without getting complaints from the neighbours (I've never gotten compaints from them with the cube at full volume and could probably go a little louder)
so will it still sound good at comparable and lower volumes as a cube on max?
Last edited by hungryhobo741 at Jan 14, 2009,
cab and head :p and play with a headphone lolz
squier bullet strat
orange crush 15r
boss ds-2
fame ml-30
red hill CDG-3 SEQ