Guys, i need to figure out some things to look at for a new amp.

I wanna keep it under $1,000 USD.
keep in mind, i'm looking used, and used only.
I wanna keep it under 1000 because i'm gonna want to find a cab under 300 bucks, and i don't want to spend more than 1300 on a setup at this point in my life.

The tones i want are pretty modern.
I'm sick of the whole marshall midgain thing, which is what my amp is giving right now.
I want something tight and responsive.
Dynamics, dynamics.
Something that doesn't sound too dry.
The thing NEEEEEDS a clean channel.
I can't stress that enough. I mean, it doesn't have to be amazing cleans, but they have to be CLEAN cleans.
I can't have a clean channel that's gonna break up at 3 on the master (5150 anyone?)
Which also makes me think i want 100 watts.
Why? Headroom. So i can have headroom when i want it.
If i want it to run at 50 watts i can always pull out a set of tubes, and then i'm good to go, but with a 50 watt amp i can't just add 2 tubes for more headroom.

I know that i want to check out a dual and single recto (dual recto head and a rectoverb) Also, hopefully an F-50, but i doubt i'll find a DC amp to try out.
I have briefly checked out a stiletto.
Fell in love with the cleans, but i wasn't able to run the master high enough to effectively try out the gain channels.
It got all muddy and fizzy...because the master was at about 2, and people were starting to give me the bad stare.
So basically, i'm asking for suggestions for other amps to try out for a modern sound.
I'm not playing br00talz here, but definitely metal and hard rock. (AIC, alter bridge, metallica, megadeth, disturbed, etc.)

If tl;dr, i want an amp that stays clean up the dial, and has a good hard rock and metal tone.
Keep it under 1000 used, USD.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Mesa Mark IV?

Soldano something or another?

EVH 5153 (that'll be more like 1500 for just the head)

JCM900?
'

btw nice to see you around again kool
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
wassup man.

like bostonrocks mentioned, the Mark IV could be a good option. Mark prices should drop a little when the V comes out after NAMM too. You mentioned the Rectifiers, check out the Tremoverb too. Don't forget the TRec too if you check out rectifiers, the 150W isn't a big deal compared to the dual, just headroom really, and I personally found I could dial in the biggest tight metal tone with an old 2ch TRec. F100 is another to check out, great cleans and a pretty big sounding OD on contour. Pretty underrated IMO.

Hard to find a lot of amps that don't have some variation of the marshall tone in them. Rivera KTre might have some of the qualities you're looking for. The reverb version is a little tighter though, but that will run over budget. I would say VHT, but they are pretty dry, which I know you mentioned not wanting. The Soldano Avenger would be a nice one, but it's single channel, and has some of that marshall flavor. You might be able to score a Framus Dragon for around 1100. ENGL fireball is another that falls below the 1k pricerange. My buddy just bought a Powerball BIN on ebay for 985, lol. More the German voicing than really a Marshall voicing.

For newer amps, the Egnator Tourmaster should be in that range used, and maybe the Bogner Alchemist. Rumor has it that the newer Tourmasters were supposedly revoiced for a better punch and tightness, as people were pretty disappointed with the first batch. The Kustom Doublecross should fall somewhere around that price used, but it's hard to tell if it's going to be a winner for tone. James Brown can design a high gain amp though, judging by the 5150.

Overall, you might want to wait to see what NAMM brings to the table. If not, used prices are pretty good right now though, not sure how tax refunds are going to affect the used market.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20IV&section=amp

Thats all mark IV's

There is also the setup I'm currently looking forward to trying which is a b-52 at100 with an avatar cab.

Together it will run well below 1k and allow you to even upgrade the tubes.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Jan 11, 2009,
ah yes!
How could i forget the mark IV!!!
I shall find one to try out, and i suppose they'll be descently cheap once everyone starts selling theirs for the mark V.

I've heard the fireball is quite an amp too.
I'll definitely try to locate one of those.
as far as the trec, the only thing is the price.
it's not that i hate the marshall voicing, but i definitely like a modern voicing a bit more at this point.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eAu4PJObpM&feature=related

powerball?

I still think the Mark IV would be good, after namm they're gonna drop alot
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I think symphony X uses powerballs, and i really liked the sound of those.
I still think i'd have to try one out in person though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
for it being youtube it sounds great and for the amount of gain it's got a good amount of clarity
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
for it being youtube it sounds great and for the amount of gain it's got a good amount of clarity

word.
Clarity is a hugeeee issue when you're using that much gain.
it's gotta cut through.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer