I noticed at the end of the 'Jump' solo (van halen), the very last note of the solo sounds really nice with the changing chords in the background, is this a jey modulation, or what is it?

How would I, if I was in the key of A minor, playing an a chord, change to the key of B minor.

Maybe you can't do this, but any help is appreciated!

I play guitar by the way
The whole song is in C Major, but the guitar solo is in A#m (C#Major).

It sound so strong cause he hits the G# on the C# bass note, and quickly slides into a G note(which is the laste note) when The C (on the bass) hits for the synth solo.

He follows the chords with 5ths over their respective chords/bass roots to create a very strong ending. I bet he sure knew his theory.

Yes you can modulate, however there's too much involved in modulation for me to reply in 1 post.

You need a strong understanding of the basics of music theory, to understand how you can "break" the rules, and what aurally works popularly well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Eddie Van Halen doesn't know theory, he doesn't even know scales.

Lol, he took classical piano lessons. First thing you learn at classical piano lessons is scales.

You can even hear this distinct influence coming back in eruption tapping solo.

His dad was sax/clarinet player and named him after Beethoven.

It's obvious he knows Classical theory, and that this was encouraged to him by his parents from an early age.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Seriously?
I remeber reading an interview where he said that he didn't know scales and just played what sounded right...
I guess that the classical stuff would make sense, his tapping sometimes has a classical feel to it.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Seriously?
I remeber reading an interview where he said that he didn't know scales and just played what sounded right...

I guess that the classical stuff would make sense, his tapping sometimes has a classical feel to it.

If you know that much theory it becomes ingrained and becomes second nature, and WOULD feel right lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
If you know that much theory it becomes ingrained and becomes second nature, and WOULD feel right lol.

Well, you know, he uses alot of chromatic notes
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Seriously?

He said this also

A guitar is just theoretically built wrong. Each string is an interval of fourths, and then the B string is off. Theoretically, that's not right. If you tune an open A chord in the first position and it's perfectly in tune, and then you hit a barre chord an octave higher, it's out of tune. The B string is always a mother****er to keep in tune all the time! So I have to retune for certain songs. And when I use the Floyd onstage, I have to unclamp it and do it real quick. But with a standard-vibrato guitar, I can tune it while I'm playing.

See bolded text, He made that up? Or it's coincidence he says everything "theoretically" correct?

If he didn't knew theory he'd probably say more along the lines of; "one day I played and I thought if I tune this string a bit higher my chords sounds nicer"

It's obvious he understand his instrument very well. Don't be tricked by his "image" talk.

He's from the 80's, and in the 80's everything was "dreamed up". Romanticised, Sex drugs and rock n' roll.

Noone wanted to hear you knew theory, they wanted to hear cool stuff. They wanted to hear u snorted coke, ****ed a girl and wrote an epic masterpiece when god spoke to you in ur dreams.

Now that's typical 80's talk.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Eddie Van Halen doesn't know theory, he doesn't even know scales.
No. Just no.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Seriously?
See:
Noone wanted to hear you knew theory, they wanted to hear cool stuff. They wanted to hear u snorted coke, ****ed a girl and wrote an epic masterpiece when god spoke to you in ur dreams.
He'd say anything to make himself seem cooler. He's not even that great.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Well, you know, he uses alot of chromatic notes
So did Bach, so did Ellington, so did Parker. These guys weren't accidently breaking the rules and they didn't just know the rules, they created the rules.

Stop thinking "playing with theory" means following a million rules and playing perfectly in diatonics.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
not really sure if you could compare bach to eddie....
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by HenHouse
not really sure if you could compare bach to eddie....

No one is comparing them.
And why couldn't you?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
it seemed like he was comparing eddie to the real theory masters
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by HenHouse

That comparison would be appropriate here.
Demon was taking Nilpferdkoenig's argument to its logical extreme.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by HenHouse
HAHA, good one.

No.

Bach's work was very chromatic, to the point alot of theorist in his time ignored his work because it disagreed with their own ideas on music. Alot of theorist today use his work to explain why some chromatism sounds great.

Eddie is just your usual hard-rock lead guitarist and is just as "chromatic" as any other hard-rock lead guitarist. Nothing terribly amazing about him. Don't get me wrong, he's amazing, but he's not revolutionary.

Demon was taking Nilpferdkoenig's argument to its logical extreme.
I like that, it's Oxymoronical.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
If it weren't for Eddie or Hendrix, the two most revolutionary players of all time, we'd probably not have much to play as Keef Richards would have played it all by now.
Quote by evolucian
If it weren't for Eddie or Hendrix, the two most revolutionary players of all time, we'd probably not have much to play as Keef Richards would have played it all by now.

Both were certainly influential, but the idea that modern music would be devoid of worth without them is completely ridiculous. There were and are plenty of musicians every bit as good (and better) than both of them.
Not devoid of worth but perhaps direction of rock guitar. They certainly put more forward in terms of thinking as well as in terms of expression into music. Yes we did and do still have many fine musicians in the world, but to disregard those two icons? That would be completely ridiculous. There weren't many musicians who redefined music or genre but those two certainly did.

To clarify, my comment of Keith Richards may have played it all was based on humour and humour alone. In that period we had George Harrison, Clapton, Beck and Page who were all blown away by Hendrix and loved him sincerely. They are all brilliant... but didn't quite push borders at the time. I did not mean it to come out that nobody can play, that is just some direction that someone else may have pushed it into
Last edited by evolucian at Jan 12, 2009,
haha i was listening to this when i saw this thread

Its pretty funky. I don't know the actual guitar solo, but I do know how to play the synth solo

At the end the left hand and the bass plays Bb, A, Ab, G, C, under a Gsus4 arpeggio. This might help you.