Heres the specs on my Acoustic B200 combo:

Power: 200 Watts @ 4 Ohms
Speaker: 15" Heavy-duty speaker, built-in horn
Channels: 1
EQ: 6-Band EQ - sweepable
Frequency notch filter
Inputs: dual inputs (passive & active)
Outs: XLR direct out

It has a speaker out, and im looking to add a 4x10'' cabinet for added clarity.

I will be purchasing a head in the future to replace the combo, but for now ill be using the combo as the "head"

My budget is ~600USD and I play mainly rock music.

Thanks for any help.
I have the Ashdown Mag 410 and they seem to work pretty darn good. Really, I think speakers themselves don't make up a huge portion of tone (and I'll probably be corrected on this later...) so as long as you get something that has a decent frequency response it will work just fine.
well think about what the word 'volume' actually means. it's the physical amount of air that you're pushing with your amp. with more speakers, you're pushing more air.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
YES! Carvin is VERY VERY good for it's price.
The 4x10 for like $350 is rated at 800 watt at 8 ohms!
Thats like 1000 at 4 Ohm and your only going to be putting 200 in it!
I own a Carvin half stack. Well worth it, IMO. It sounds good, is well built, and is easy on the budget.

That's not 1000 at 4-ohm....you can't change the impedance of the cabinet. It will always be 800W at 8-ohm, which should be enough for anyone.
Nope, no sig here.
So I should get a Carvin then haha. I have always been looking into them...I like the fact that some(maybe all) of them are built in America.

Should I get a BRX series or a BR series?

EDIT: I think I want the neowhatever drivers so my choices will probably be between this: Carvin BR410

or this:Carvin BRX 410

Or is there something else I should look for?
Last edited by grifff at Jan 12, 2009,
Theres really no point, come on like driving a 100 watts into a 4x10 isnt going to work, Its just not going to push it enough. From what i hear about carvin its probably 600 watts rated you wont be a ble to drive it enough.GEt a small 12" cab or something.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Theres really no point, come on like driving a 100 watts into a 4x10 isnt going to work, Its just not going to push it enough. From what i hear about carvin its probably 600 watts rated you wont be a ble to drive it enough.GEt a small 12" cab or something.

Supposedly the B200 is 200 watts and the BRX I quoted says 4 neowhatever 300w 10'' drivers, but a few lines down it says; Imp: 4ohms, power handling: 1200 Watts.

Does this mean its rated for 1200watts or 300?

And eventually I would get rid of the combo/use it for practice and just buy a proper head to drive the cab.
It means each speaker is 300 watts, the total thing is 1200 watts, you want to put 100 watts into a 1200watt cab. NO,

Get a small powered 2x10 or second 1x15" to use. Or better yet get a b600H acoustic and run a 4x10 and 1x15 through it.

Another option i would do, is get a different 15" speaker that is 4 ohms and swap them, so all 200 watts run into it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well the thing is, I dont have the 1000+ to shell out right now so I was just thinking of upgrading the cab and then upgrading the combo to a head whenever I get the cash.

So my 200W combo wouldnt drive the 1200W 4x10 at all?
It would, but it wouldnt sound as good and you could seriously damage it. If you want to get a 4x10 find something like a 300watt one or less.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
It would, but it wouldnt sound as good and you could seriously damage it. If you want to get a 4x10 find something like a 300watt one or less.

If I could damage it ill just save up and buy the head + cab instead of running a ****ty 410 out of my combo.
Ya, in the end get a small 1x15 cab (i really love a 2x15) Then save up for your amp, what its going to be 600 watts or so lets say So the 1 x15 will most likely be able to handle it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Ya, in the end get a small 1x15 cab (i really love a 2x15) Then save up for your amp, what its going to be 600 watts or so lets say So the 1 x15 will most likely be able to handle it.

The Acoustic B200H runs 600 watts at 2ohms, if I paired it with one of the Carvin 4x10''s rated at 1200 watts and 4 ohms would it damage either? What if I also added a 1x15''?
Can you post a link to that amp?

well 8 ohms plus 4 ohms equals 2.6666 i think. It will damage it most likely, i recon it probably isnt supposed to run that low anyway.
If you added an 8 ohm 1x15 cab it would run the 200watts fine.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I don't see why he could damage the 4x10 by not running enough power through it... The only way I can see that happening is pushing the amp too much. I say get the 4x10, especially if you're looking to eventually get one later anyway.
Quote by margeramann
I don't see why he could damage the 4x10 by not running enough power through it... The only way I can see that happening is pushing the amp too much. I say get the 4x10, especially if you're looking to eventually get one later anyway.

Yeah I dont really understand this either, I never thought not running enough power into an amp could damage it.....if someone could clarify that would be great.
Im not up on the facts, but its something along the lines of the speakers arent working hard enough, and magnets, cones etc, get damaged, especially if your only putting 100 into 1200. I wouldnt, bad things happen to speakers, best to be careful.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
But it would be putting a 100 into the 15 and then a 100 watts into the 4x10.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
probably best i think, if you want acoustic get the 600 one for sure.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul