I have a friend who's been player guitar for a few years and he's never really made much progress... What are some ways (besides practice... which doesn't seem to help) that I could help him out?
I've showed hims some finger/ picking exercises, pentatonic scales, etc.

Any others I could him out?
Maybe try jamming with him.

I seem to progress faster when I'm playing with people who are better than me.
OPINIONATED STATEMENT

Meaningful Song Lyrics
Inside my signature
Make me look deep
And misunderstood

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context hilarious quote!

Quote by Pannenkoeken
Out of context compliment!

My Gear:
Awesome Shit
Cool Shit
Shitty Shit

Its not just about practice in the sense of picking it up and playing. You have to practice properly, keep challenging yourself, etc. You're not going to get better if you spend your whole time playing the same few favourite songs you can already play.
Well, what are some things I could show him to practice?
He can barely play anything...
i see this alot. usually its these old school pop/rock lovers who do only beatles songs.
try to make him listen (and love) more technical stuff, if hell love it hell try to play it and notice he has to practice to do so.
Quote by melton100
Well, what are some things I could show him to practice?
He can barely play anything...

He doesn't even have to play anything. Make him work his fingers a bit. Work on techniques slow.

Make him do Steve Vai's 10 hour workout, at his speed, and have him try not to have his fingers get too far away from the fretboard, and keep him on a metronome. He'll develop speed, strength, accuracy, and overall solo skills.

Have him practice CAGED too. Have him work on chord changing.
Quote by Pannenkoeken
Maybe try jamming with him.

I seem to progress faster when I'm playing with people who are better than me.

We do jam. And he jams with some other people a lot.
Still hasnt done much....
Make sure that he keeps himself challenged with his practice, I know from experince that if I dont have something to work on every week I get bored and start playing the same things over and over, just stuff that ive already mastered. This is why I take lessons cause its a different challenge for me every week. Also as was stated above me make sure hes practicing properly, hopefully he has a small schedule of what he needs to practice each time. I also agree with having him learn songs he likes it really lets you see how far youve progressed when you start attempting songs you like, my guitar teacher did this this week we had been going over technique for the first month and this week he gave me Wrathchild to learn for next week, just something fun for me to do and like I said I can defintley see how far ive come playing it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Like others have said, teaching him songs he likes is a great way to get him started. Yesterday I taught my friend Blackbird, Dust in the Wind and some 311 song - he can't really play them yet, but he says he'll practice those songs instead of "making up killer riffs!!11!"
Quote by Øttər
Lessons?

NOt an option.
He can't afford lessons from a good teacher...
well he could if he wouldnt spend all his money on xbox games...

and i would give him some lessons but he's a bit touchy about his guitar playing and would take that as an insult
lol
Quote by melton100

There's his problem.
Quote by melton100
NOt an option.
He can't afford lessons from a good teacher...

and i would give him some lessons but he's a bit touchy about his guitar playing and would take that as an insult
lol

No I think thats the problem, even the best players can always learn something from others
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by TSelman
There's his problem.

Dear Lord Baby Jesus you have no idea....