Today some of my friends and I made trails in a vacant lot in our neighborhood and we want to ride them. They have a lot of hills and no jumps (yet). I have an old crap bike that I'll use until I know if I like it or not, but what should I go about learning first? The trails are more mountain biking stuff but I'm tired of mountain biking.

Anyone else bmx? Got any noob tips??
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Chikao42
Learn how to bunny hop first.

I can from mountain biking.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Best tip: Don't fall off, it hurts like ****

Learn to bunnyhop as well.
helmets may look gay, but they'll save a headache or two
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Prepare for Body damage,and yeah Wear helmet!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
backflips are a good starting point IMO
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
Don't let a bad experience with a bad bike take you out of the sport...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
don't let your experience of a **** bike ruin it for you - remember that everyone has to start somewhere - my bike's dialed as ****, but it wasn't always like that. try doing some small jumps first - build a small kicker which lands to flat and keep making it bigger the more confident you get. then you can add a landing, gap etc. definitely stick to bmx as it will improves your bike control imeasurably as it did for me. bunny hops are good to learn also
Lasciate ogne speranza voi ch'intrate - Dante
Only the dead have seen the end of the war - Plato
?proxima quaque metit gladio? - Virgil
Quote by !!NICK!!!
backflips are a good starting point IMO

Pfft.. Frontflips are where it's at
SIGNATURE
if you're going to do any bmxing, make it flatland.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
learn to control your bike in the air and not just dead sailor it up and also dont let a fall discourage you thats happened to me and its retarded.

Also ive rode ALOT of ****ty bikes just make sure everything is set up right and proper ie dont have your handle bars folded way back but rather in line ,or close to in line with your fork
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
there are only 2 types of riders. those who have been down, and those who are GOING down.

buy a good motocross style helmet. you will protect your face and brains, plus they have some pretty sick designs out there. those helmets that skateboarders wear dont do **** if your going more than 5 km/h so dont even waste your time with those
Quote by russiaininvader
those helmets that skateboarders wear dont do **** if your going more than 5 km/h so dont even waste your time with those

They do, I wear a full face for the more extreme MTB stuff but for general BMXing/MTBing piss pots are fine, they do give quite a lot of protection.

And good luck, learn to control the bike in the air (don't just huck and dead sailor) and don't worry about learning tricks for ages, focus on getting style down
Quote by wesselbindt
Then you should try dangerfapping. It involves fapping till ur halfway there, and then calling ur mom or dad to your room, and than try to cum before he/she enters your room. It's an incredible rush.
I would stick to MTB... It's what I do... It's way better than BMX in my opinion.

...Also, more than half of the BMX'ers I've seen look super gay riding their little miniature, wanna be bikes.

*Flameshield*

I sound like an ass, but the truth hurts.
Me duele todo el cuerpo por los errores
Presionados por la lujuria
Nos mentimos tanto el uno al otro
Que en nada confiamos
Quote by Vaquero Toxico
I sound like an ass, but the truth hurts.

"Truth is the truth hurts don't you agree?"

And I know what you mean, but BMX can be good for learning to jump/just messing about in skateparks.
Quote by wesselbindt
Then you should try dangerfapping. It involves fapping till ur halfway there, and then calling ur mom or dad to your room, and than try to cum before he/she enters your room. It's an incredible rush.
I suppose BMX can be good just for fun and messing around with friends, but hardcore BMXing is just... So terrible, when you could be downhilling or freeriding.

Just a matter of opinion I guess.
Me duele todo el cuerpo por los errores
Presionados por la lujuria
Nos mentimos tanto el uno al otro
Que en nada confiamos
Yeah I suppose I'd rather out on my 26 inch than my BMX but I can ride my BMX at places near my house, there's nowhere to DH.
Quote by wesselbindt
Go watch the movie "Rad" and learn the ways of the one and only Cru Jones. . .
UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
From the title I thought BMX was some hot new club and you and your underage friends wated to get in.