I've been playing a regular 6 string guitar for a year, and im pretty good. I think the hardest thing i can play is the lead part of walk this way by aerosmith (original version). So my question is when should i start to learn how to play a twelve string guitar?
Twelve strings aren't that different. You can play the same things on a twelve string pretty much. Bending is a bit harder, and the neck is thicker. But as far as chords and things go, it's really not all that different.
It's hardly a necessary thing, it's used so little. Many people never even touch a 12 string, as it has quite limited applications. Absolutely beautiful sound, but not very practical or useful for a lot of things.

Most of them are acoustic too.
Last edited by webbtje at Jan 11, 2009,
When you feel like it you moron, it's like learning any other guitar... I can play a 12 string and I started playing bass.

It's not like your 6 string playing actually influences the 6 other strings, it's completely different.
I think you maybe should play more guitar, get better and expose things a little more.. Twelve string guitar isn't really a big jump from 6 string.. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years and I haven't even considered of buying a 12 string... But I'm just 14 years old...
if you were to pick up a twelve string right now you could probably play like 90% of the things you can on your 6 string, its not that much of a difference
My Gear
  • Squier Jazz Bass
  • Ibanez Gio GAX Bass
  • Yamaha F-130 Acoustic Guitar
  • Epiphone SG special edition Guitar
  • Traynor Bass Mate 25
  • Boss ME-20B
  • Boss OBD-3
Guys, what if he wants to play acoustic stuff with a 12 string? Why are you saying they are hardly ever used. Yea, maybe they are by certain guitarists, however, certain guitarists, such as my uncle use them all the time. My uncle ONLY has 12 strings.

Get out to your local guitar store and check one out. They aren't all that different and you may find you really like it.
Playing them isn't really much different to a 6-string - the strings are tuned in octave/unison pairs and you play these 2 strings together as though they were 1 string, just like playing a 6 string, only you fret and pick 2 strings as though they were just one.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Its pretty much the same as playing a normal 6 string guitar. I fiddled with one for the first time at GC and had no problem playing it. I probably could have done better with some practice.
Quote by .Epidemic
When you feel like it you moron, it's like learning any other guitar... I can play a 12 string and I started playing bass.

It's not like your 6 string playing actually influences the 6 other strings, it's completely different.

douchebag much?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
You don't really have to be at a specific level, its just like a six string. Although there is a bit more tension due to twice the amount of strings being placed on the guitar. Barre chords might be a bit trickier.
But I'd recommend getting better at guitar before going to use a twelve string. A twelve string is like a, say, a delay pedal. Its really cool the first time, but then you only ever use it when you need to use it. If you write your own stuff and want a twelve string to do it, then cool, get a twelve string. But if you just want it do be cool, just practice a little bit more and show off by having nice talent rather than a nice guitar.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by ahindi
I've been playing a regular 6 string guitar for a year, and im pretty good. I think the hardest thing i can play is the lead part of walk this way by aerosmith (original version). So my question is when should i start to learn how to play a twelve string guitar?

To be honest it doesn't sound like you particularly want to play a 12 string...do you know what one actually is? It's not a "more advanced" guitar, they just have pairs of harmonised strings so they sound fuller - you play them exactly the same way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I just got a 12 String for christmas, its not that different to playing a six string. And contrary to popular belief, you can play lead licks on them. watch The Song Remains The Same if you dont believe me, and watch Jimmy Page when he gets his twelve out.

have fun
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by eurotrashed
You have to be twice as good to play a 12 string.

Ah. I see what you did there.

A twelve string is played identically to a six-string. If you're interested in them, try one. They sound really jangly and nice.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
douchebag much?

I concur.

The question you should be asking yourself, is not when should you learn to play a 12 string, but when you should learn to play a 7 string. I think that's more what your're after.

Although, you never really have to learn either, it's just a matter of whether or not you feel you need it for your music.