Alright. So, when I first got the idea of building a custom guitar, I was thinking of building a strat-type guitar.

Now, I'm more into metal, and realize that might not be the best choice.
I also have changed my mind about what body style I like.
I'm thinking of building a Flying V type body now.

So basically, what I need to know, is what kind of materials to use for it.

I have no Idea about the kind of wood, so I need some suggestions. (I'm looking for a Metallica type tone. Medium. Not too dark, not too bright.)

As for the electronics, and pickup configuration and what-not,

And thats pretty much all I've really decided on, for the time.
          With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Wood really provides minimal change in sound for solid bodies, but there are some tone nuts who say it'll totally alter it... Things like mahogany, alder, sapele, basswood, and lots more are all usable, pretty much any wood that could stand up to the string tension.
          For shape, maybe try http://majestictwelve.co.uk/images/edwards_full.jpg ? Sexiest V I've ever seen. And yes, 2 volume 2 tones are what most Gibsons and many others have
          Quote by tjfishrocker
          Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
          I built a guitar from a guitar kit for a project to graduate high school. I bought a les paul style body kit online, put in some dimarzios ( evolution on the bridge and i forgot what knind of dimarzio i put on the neck), i went to a auto body place and they had some extra custom paint left over from a truck so he painted my guitar and put a clear coat. My mentor and i wired it up and shaped the headstock so it looks like a gibson Les Paul. I tuned the action and it plays pretty fast. I can use it to play anything from blues to metal/metalcore. Basically it rocks the kit was called a Saga guitar Kit LC-10 and you can buy them online for $170. I comes with everything but the pick ups suck. On another note it is definitely quality despite its low price. If you do decide to check it out and buy it, it will be worth it!
          how much do you plan on spending on this? you seem to not know much about guitar building, you need apropriate tools and it is very hard to do, esp if this is your first build. i recommend you buy a guitar instead or buy a new amp.
          Quote by Mr.Tamberineman
          how much do you plan on spending on this? you seem to not know much about guitar building, you need apropriate tools and it is very hard to do, esp if this is your first build. i recommend you buy a guitar instead or buy a new amp.

and how will he learn from that?

I know you've been active here awhile, I recognize your Avatar.
          So take all the knowledge you have and apply it.
          Worst comes to worst, you stuffed up maybe $100 worth of wood.
          I think that is a good price to pay for how much you learn from it.
          Just plan out your guitar, remember your center line and mark everything off of that and you should be sweet
          I don't remember where I was,
          When I realized life was a game.
          The more seriously I took things,
          The harder the rules became.
          Thanks for being positive, WH15P3R.

Yes, I understand there are special tools required.
          However, I understand that buying a guitar, with less-quality things than I plan on using, will be more expensive than if I build it myself, as well.
          And yeah. Thats another reason I picked a flying V shape body. It seems like it's an easy shape to cut, but still looks cool. I also think it would be a little lighter than most others. And easy to route, and what not, as well.
          With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!