Page 1 of 3
i was wondering if a fender standard strat would be good as a metal guitar. If you use the split position for the pickups, do they cancel out most of the hum? And is a fat strats humbucker good for metal?
well how well would they be compared to guitars actually made for metal (ibanez rg, jacksons, etc>
In my opinion no strats are not good for metal... There are so many other guitars out there that are way better.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Put hot rails, or humbuckers in it and yeah. Look at Iron Maiden. Not as good at metal as Jacksons and ESPs and the like. But if you like playing strats and wanna play metal. Put some new pups in it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Strats aren't made specifically for metal really.
Maybe with some mods or maybe a hotrails in the bridge it might, but the "made for metal" are specifically made for metal.

Look at the Dave Murray sig Stratocaster though.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
In my opinion no strats are not good for metal... There are so many other guitars out there that are way better.

I think that too, check some Esp, Ibanez, Jackson, Shecter etc...
Depends what strat what pickups and what amp your using
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! strat's aren't good at all for metal, they have single coils, and they sound flat and flimsy, for metal you want punch, power, and clarity, not finesse and weak tone...
Fenders are not made for metal. The splashy tone and single coils are not good for lots of distortion. However, you are right. Using the split position does indeed make it act like a humbucker, and fat strats are better equipped to handle more gain. All that being said there are plenty of famous musicians who use Fender guitars w/o humbuckers to play metal. Examples are Yngwie Malmsteen and Adrian Smith. Again, they're not really designed to play metal but they can work.
strats are fine for metal but you wont get the desired tone that everbody so loves that you get out of maghongy gutars, but i think maghongy just dims the tone. i use fenders for my metal, and i like it, my opionion though. but the stock pickups are not good for metal, i would get them changed to something that can handle a crapload of gain.
espguitars.com
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
all these people are basically saying "yeah, buy a strat, and then take out everything that makes it a strat, replace it with better stuff, and then it will be good for metal..." so your answer is no!!! don't use strats for metal!
Just because it isn't made for metal doesn't mean you can't use it. I'd get new pick ups for it and maybe alter it a little to give you a more metal sound. Do it. It'll be different and you might become famous for it.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
They probably arent the best guitars for metal in their stock form, but a few modifications they can do it fine. Still not the best, but quite capable. A Hotrails or other single coild sized humbucker in the bridge can bring them to metal territory.

Really tho, any guitar can play metal.
Last edited by dethfield at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by JesterShred
all these people are basically saying "yeah, buy a strat, and then take out everything that makes it a strat, replace it with better stuff, and then it will be good for metal..." so your answer is no!!! don't use strats for metal!

Replacing ONE pickup isnt exactly a heavy mod.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by ethan_hanus
strats are fine for metal but you wont get the desired tone that everbody so loves that you get out of maghongy gutars, but i think maghongy just dims the tone. i use fenders for my metal, and i like it, my opionion though. but the stock pickups are not good for metal, i would get them changed to something that can handle a crapload of gain.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Maghongy, that's funny... he means mahogany, even this guy says it.... you can't buy a strat off a wall and use it for metal... their tone is just too weak
Quote by JesterShred
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Maghongy, that's funny... he means mahogany, even this guy says it.... you can't buy a strat off a wall and use it for metal... their tone is just too weak

Ignore this guy. He knows nothing.
Quote by kaosfire

? what? changing one pickup is and EXTREME mod, it may be easy, but from a single coil strat pickup to something that can play metal, is a DRASTIC change in tone, sound and feel, period. that makes it a heavy mod, and it'll run you like 200 bucks to get the whole thing done, you might as well get a real guitar first
Quote by kaosfire

ha ha agreed yeah most of the time in the strat your gonna wanna use the bridge anyway thats usually the pickup with the most distortion I mostly use the bridge pup in my iby.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by dethfield
Ignore this guy. He knows nothing.

Agreed, ignore JesterShred, he's not really helping.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
ouch, i'm merely pointing out that the guy wants to buy a strat, you can't say "yeah, go buy a strat, but to use it you have to replace a bunch of parts..." if you can't play it off the wall, it's not a good guitar for what you want. and i think most people would agree that putting gain and depth into a stock strat is very difficult, since that's what everyone seems to be saying, if you want to buy a guitar to play metal, you're gonna want to go with humbuckers, in a body that holds a great deal of sustain, STRATS HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE
my sunburst MIM strat has been my most comfortable guitar to play - i practice on it all the time because its the cheapest one i have (little kids running around the house)

and i love my strat - its just comfortable to play.

I replaced the bridge with a seymour duncan hotrail, and have a ashdown fallen angel 40 amp

i have an LTD EC-1000, with EMGs and it rocks and is a real beauty.

But for some reason I can't put down my strat right now- it sounds great and when i want to i can dial in a nice thick metal tone - been really experimenting with my jamman lately

Anyway to answer your question.....i have been playing 3 years and have 6 electrics...i know your looking for advice but really its all up to you

my strat with a hotrail and the amp and pedals i use can give me just as nice sound as my ESP LTD-1000.....its different but just as nice and rocks just as hard......the strat just feels more comfortable to hold for me......

if you dont want to mod the strat pickup (easy to do for 100$), then i would say no and agree, just buy a guitar that already has the pickup you need
Last edited by boyd98 at Jan 11, 2009,
The single coil is the only thing negative about a strat playing metal. Put a bucker in there and you're all set. All you need is a new pickguard if the body is already routed. And installing a pickup is very easy, even if you have no soldering experience. All you would pay for is the new pickup. Most guitars don't come with good stock pickups and most people change them. There are plenty of metal guitars that have alder bodies, look at most Jacksons.
Quote by JesterShred
ouch, i'm merely pointing out that the guy wants to buy a strat, you can't say "yeah, go buy a strat, but to use it you have to replace a bunch of parts..." if you can't play it off the wall, it's not a good guitar for what you want. and i think most people would agree that putting gain and depth into a stock strat is very difficult, since that's what everyone seems to be saying, if you want to buy a guitar to play metal, you're gonna want to go with humbuckers, in a body that holds a great deal of sustain, STRATS HAVE NONE OF THE ABOVE

Thats a complete load of bull****. There is nothing wrong with buying a guitar and making some changes to it. If you like the look, shape, feel, and features of a strat, but want to play metal. What the hell is wrong with making one pickup change? You dont have a be a useless little sheep and play every guitar stock. Thats just retarded.
Quote by JesterShred

Your an idiot.

Quote by damien34
How about fat strats?

A fat strat could very much so do metal.

Quote by JesterShred

And once more, your an idiot. My strat sustains longer than my set-neck dual-humbucker guitar, so either one or both of my guitars and I are from another planet or your an idiot. Guess which is more likely. Plus your saying modding a guitar is a waste of money. That my non-friend, makes absolutely no sense. If it did, 90% of guitarists are idiots.

Anyway, TS, there are a few ways you can go about this. The first is getting an HSS Fat Strat. This is probably the easiest if you want to play metal but also want some good cleans, as it gives a humbucker in the bridge(where you'll want it 90% of the time in metal), and the back two pickups are still single-coils. It used to be a problem with the MIM Standard HSS' that you lost one of many strat players(including myself) favourite tones on the guitar, the mid-bridge combination. The new 08/09 HSS strats have coil-tap in position 4 though, so that's no longer a problem.

If you want a genuine SSS strat though, it won't be as good, but a Metal Muff or a high-gain amp should drive the single-coils how you want.

You can also get an SSS strat and replace one of the pickups. Personally I recommend a DiMarzio Chopper, Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Lace red sensor in the bridge.

So yeah, any of those should work TS. Hope I could help.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Yeah yngwie malmsteen uses SSS strats and he sounds pretty metal
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
i'm not saying that replacing a pickup isn't a good idea, i'm just saying that that is not what TS is asking, he wants to know if he should buy a standard strat. Yeah, i just replaced both of the humbuckers in my old les paul, so modding is not a new concept to me. it's not a waste of money, but it's not what this guy is looking for.
Quote by JesterShred
? what? changing one pickup is and EXTREME mod, it may be easy, but from a single coil strat pickup to something that can play metal, is a DRASTIC change in tone, sound and feel, period. that makes it a heavy mod, and it'll run you like 200 bucks to get the whole thing done, you might as well get a real guitar first

The Frankenstrat is an extreme mod.
A pickup change is like getting a new toothbrush.
Quote by JesterShred
i'm not saying that replacing a pickup isn't a good idea, i'm just saying that that is not what TS is asking, he wants to know if he should buy a standard strat. Yeah, i just replaced both of the humbuckers in my old les paul, so modding is not a new concept to me. it's not a waste of money, but it's not what this guy is looking for.

...Honestly, if you buy a MIM standard strat, you mod it, and nine out of ten times, sed mod is the pickups. Everyone knows that, the only reason I have the stock pickups in mine is because I can't solder for crap and as of yet have been unable to find anyone who will charge a small amount to switch the pickups(I'm a cheap bastard, so i's a bit of a problem).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you get an HSS strat and replace the Humbucker with a more Metal Specific one, you should be able to play metal fine, look at Maiden.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
I think a player should pick any guitar they like the look of. That way they can customize the sound they want. Buy some EMGs or something and you should sound fierce.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Quote by damien34
i was wondering if a fender standard strat would be good as a metal guitar. (a) If you use the split position for the pickups, do they cancel out most of the hum? (b) And is a fat strats humbucker good for metal?

(a) it should cancel the hum (i think they're reverse wound reverse polarity), but it won't really sound all that metal

(b) yeah, that'd be a much better plan if you want to use a strat-shaped guitar for metal. a yamaha pacifica would be cool, too, it's a similar idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm really tired of people using Yngwie and Maiden to show strats can play metal.. Honestly, neither of those 2 use as much gain as you normally would yourself.

Jester, you are an idiot. Strats are extremely easy to modify. You can buy a $15 soldering iron, some $5 thing of solder (maybe even cheaper), and a $40 pickup from GFS and bam you have a total of maybe $60-$70 and you've got a good, new, pickup that can do metal.

Strats do resonate well, also. Bolt-on necks have been shown to sustain longer, although most of the time they are minute differences which are almost incomprehensible to the human ear. Also, strats DO come with humbuckers. I plucked a Highway 1 strat off the wall in GC, plugged it into a vox modeling amp, and it did fine for metal. I plugged it into a B-52 AT-100 head with a marshall cab as well and it handled the OD channel just great.

If you aren't prepared to mess with your guitar a bit when you buy it to make it JUST the way you want it, you're ignorant.
yeah, if you put a hot pup in the bridge there great for metal.
and with just regular sss, they can do metal aswell, but you'd be better off with a jackson or something if your just looking for a metal axe.
Quote by JesterShred
and it'll run you like 200 bucks to get the whole thing done, you might as well get a real guitar first

wat.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Page 1 of 3