ok i got a starcaster starter pack for christmas so ive only been playing for a couple of weeks. however according to some friends, coworkers, etc.-that have been playing for years some decades, im catching on rather quickly. apparently im at about a 6 month level. i like my starcaster well enough, especially since it was a gift, so i dont like to seem unthankful. but on my latest trip to guitar center for a pedal, i was able to play around with some MIM strats, and a studio les paul. these guitars just seemed to play more beautifully (yes i did play it off an amp so i kno its not limited to that). parents tell me that my starcaster should be fine for a COUPLE of years. well after playing with some higher end guitars, im finding myself getting quite ansy alrdy. so i wouldn't mind some advice on my lil dilemna. should i start saving and get a better guitar soon? or should i really just wait til mine pretty much breaks...
Upgrade when you know where you're going with it and you know what you want. You haven't been playing long enough to know what you want yet.
upgrade when your current guitar breaks.
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

Quote by JELIFISH19
Upgrade when you know where you're going with it and you know what you want. You haven't been playing long enough to know what you want yet.

this. you've only been playing that guitar for about 16 days, and you're already too good for it? you're still a beginner man
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Many guitars are better than yours, but you aren't musically experienced enough to choose the best for YOU ;-)
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
Yeah wait till you have more experince I played a strat copy for 2 years before I got my iby. The squier will work fine for you for a while.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
keep playing the thing till you rip it apart with your new found skill starcaster are not worth upgrading at your level, keep playing for a few months then you'llhave enough experience to find a good guitar to your liking.

i hate it when a rich kid buys a $4000 guitar to just learn on. i mean come on, the thing was destned for so much more.
The only other caveat I'll throw out is: If the Starcaster is making you not want to practice because it annoys you, that's a good reason to upgrade. I've heard they go out of tune ALL the time. If that's the case, that would discourage me heavily. I've specifically moved my guitar/amp to a location that's physically within reach of my desk chair, so that I can literally pick it up and play for 2 or 3 minutes at a random time. If my guitar was crappy enough that it discouraged me from wanting to do that, I'd upgrade, because I'd be too annoyed to want to play for a minute or two between practices. If your guitar doesn't make you WANT to play it, you should change guitars, IMO.
Quote by JustinHorne
The only other caveat I'll throw out is: If the Starcaster is making you not want to practice because it annoys you, that's a good reason to upgrade. I've heard they go out of tune ALL the time. If that's the case, that would discourage me heavily. I've specifically moved my guitar/amp to a location that's physically within reach of my desk chair, so that I can literally pick it up and play for 2 or 3 minutes at a random time. If my guitar was crappy enough that it discouraged me from wanting to do that, I'd upgrade, because I'd be too annoyed to want to play for a minute or two between practices. If your guitar doesn't make you WANT to play it, you should change guitars, IMO.

I do the same thing my RG sits a few inches from me as im typing right now. Also I dont play mine when I have issues with it either Idk why it just discourages me when I have an issue with something on it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Get a Gibson Les Paul Studio
ASAP
your life in incomplete without it.

seriously though, if you REALLY want to play something better, get something a little better...then when you get better and know what styles you like to play, what tones you like to play with...etc... choose a guitar you like.
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I do the same thing my RG sits a few inches from me as im typing right now. Also I dont play mine when I have issues with it either Idk why it just discourages me when I have an issue with something on it.

That's actually one thing I hate about my guitars. They're nice and I keep them in their cases so I don't scratch them or anything. I don't play nearly as much as I used to because there's a lot more time and work involved in getting to them and setting them up.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jan 11, 2009,
upgrade if your gona start gigging. No need to upgrade because you are getting good.
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
its not that im too good for it, far from it. it serves its purpose it has 6 strings, 21 frets, and it makes noise. its kind of like eating fried bologna for a week, then eating an amazing steak. the bologna was edible, but that steak was the ****. im not saying im gonna go buy this thing tomorrow. im just kinda trying to get a good idea of when i should upgrade. and i dont mean jumping from a $150 guitar to a $3500 one. im just talking like the next step up maybe like a MIM strat or a used studio les paul.
Quote by Rcyote
its not that im too good for it, far from it. it serves its purpose it has 6 strings, 21 frets, and it makes noise. its kind of like eating fried bologna for a week, then eating an amazing steak. the bologna was edible, but that steak was the ****. im not saying im gonna go buy this thing tomorrow. im just kinda trying to get a good idea of when i should upgrade. and i dont mean jumping from a $150 guitar to a $3500 one. im just talking like the next step up maybe like a MIM strat or a used studio les paul.

Amp next. Then new guitar.

You'll thank me for it later. I made the mistake of guitar first.
You'll just know when you need a guitar, with the starter guitars people just generally outgrow them, you'll start to learn which specs would suit what you end up playing generally speaking.
so any ideas for what i should move up to next? as of now i like playing a lot of nirvana, pretty much power chord heavy songs. so prolly something catered to that. but im a big SRV fan (high hopes i know).
oh and whats a good amp to move up to. im on a lil sp10 thign that came with the guitar
like i said im mainly into nirvana right now. budget is expandable, not hard for me to save the money up
yeah dude, my friend has this guitar. great for begginers. move on when you think you're not a beginner and you need a new shredder, and you know what one you want. (epiphone or ibanez seem to be the next step)
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Quote by Rcyote
so any ideas for what i should move up to next? as of now i like playing a lot of nirvana, pretty much power chord heavy songs. so prolly something catered to that. but im a big SRV fan (high hopes i know).

We can't tell you until you know what you're looking for. And honestly, at this point, you have no idea what your looking for. You may think you do, but next year, you probably will be playing different things. You'll get bored of the stuff you play now and you'll want to do more technical things. You'll also see your musical tastes and influences expand as you start discovering new guitarists. Plus you don't know what kind of body wood you want, the neck construction and shape, and the frets. There's so much you have to consider but you don't see it because you're a beginner. I know you're eager to buy a new guitar, but just wait. You'll know when it's time. You'll know what you want. And when you know what you're looking for, then we can help you. There are thousands guitars that are all different. There's a reason that everyone plays different guitars, it's not all about price.
I played a Squier Affinity strat for 3-4 years before getting a new guitar. And every one of those years I wanted a new guitar and begged my parents for a new guitar, and each time, it was a different guitar that I wanted with different genres in mind. Don't buy something new now because you don't know what kind of guitar player you're eventually going to be and what guitar will suit your needs in the years to come.
ya. i guess that makes sense thanks. so what about the amp then?
Even amp wise I'd maybe wait a little while unless you have a couple hundred bucks to spend. I've played the sp10 and it sounds terrible but if you're 2 weeks in, you may not even stick with it (lots of people love guitar for a month or two and then once they try stuff harder than nirvana, they get discouraged and stop). IF you wanna upgrade now this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482908 is only $100 as is actually pretty good. maybe wait a couple more weeks to make sure its not just a 2 week fling.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab