Page 1 of 2
After looking around GB&C at all the builds I finally got the motivation to build my own. The guitar is gunna be:

Body: 2 piece 1 1/2 inch mahogany Tele body shape. I may try to wrangle up a figured top of some sort
Neck: 3 Piece oak/flame maple bizarre combo but hey ill try it
Electronics: Two humbuckers (maybe SD maybe something else im undecided yet). I don't know if i want to clutter up the guitar with 4 knobs and a three way selector so I am leaning towards 2 pots (with one being push pull for coil tapping) and a three way selector. Obviously ideas/ concerns with this set up are welcome.
Finish: Depending on the grain of the mahogany it will probably end up either being oiled or just clear lacquered.

I am planning on this build being very slow and casual as i have classes starting again tomorrow but, as i am not a patient person, it'll probably be done well before summer

And since UG lives on pictures:

Neck Blank:

I know that the join line between the headstock and the neck can be clearly seen and that there is crap on there from my clamps but a little planing/ sanding should take care of that

Fretboard:

Figuring in my neck wood:

If anyone has any comments feel free to post them here Ill probably be on UG if I'm not in class.
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Last edited by Kolanski at Jan 16, 2009,
is that figured maple for the neck?

if so, im jealous
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
indeed it is. I nabbed it on ebay for 30 bucks and its enough to do 4 necks
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Small update for the all of 1 person that commented haha. I got my body wood today and my truss rod and my fret saw. I also ordered more parts including string ferrules, TOM bridge and tuners. I also radically changed my mind on design. Instead of an SG I'm doing a Tele with string three TOM (obviously) and string through.

Here's what I'm hoping that it will end up like except it has a 3X3 head stock just because i wanted to.

Body wood nice big slab of mahogany.

Body wood again. The saws next to it to show the length.
Quote by Dr. House
That is looking sexual.

Nice wood you got there (nohomo) and might I ask what glue did you use to put those things together?

If I'm not mistaken, wood faces that have gone through the proper tools and are glued with the right glues and clamped welll have invisible joints, right?

Or is making invisible glue lines one of those things that is harder in practice than it is in theory?

Anyway this looks like it will shape up to be a really nice build! Mine will be similar, with a sapele body, maple neck and fretboard, strat body and headstock.

I'd like to know how you're going to finish it (ie what products specifically) so I have an idea of what to do as well.

Good luck man, and post more pics!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
ehh some of the joints are a little less than stellar but i kno how to hide them. As far as tooling yes everything was done as I have been told to do. For finishing I am not really completely sure. I built an RG from a kit and i finished that with polyurethane which, as unorthodox as that is it looks pretty amazing. I do know that i will be doing a natural finish and i may try oil an wax. Now to the update (with pics)

Today i got a lot done on this thing. I got the truss rod channel cut in my neck, i cut the fret slots on my fret board, and i rough cut the body. I also got the shipping notice for some of my parts and they'll be here next week.

Here's my o so sexy body. Yes the neck route is very long as i didn't want to cut it until I measure like 2340987987239487932 times. And that is my amp: Crate V18-212... In case your wondering it is sweet

Neck with fret board resting on top

Neck sans the fret board

Head stock with wings glued on.. yea i wanted flame maple too but it looked wierd

Finally here's (roughly) what the head stock will look like. This is actually a practice neck i made out of poplar just to see if i could make a neck.
Quote by Dr. House
Since Ive pretty much ordered all of my parts I've reached the age old question: What pickups should I order for her? I'm probably gunna go with something from GFS because this is my first build and i want to have enough money to do another one pretty soon. The tone im after is a really warm clean tone but I do want this to have the ability to do distorted as this will probably be the guitar that I am going to take to college with me and I need it to be versatile. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

Oh and if i play my cards right I should be able to glue the fret board on tonight and probably route the neck pocket out/ fit the neck so im hopin to have more pics up.
Quote by Dr. House
Quote by Kolanski
indeed it is. I nabbed it on ebay for 30 bucks and its enough to do 4 necks

Not only am I jealous, but now I hate you.
For pick-ups, i suggest these
http://www.music123.com/DiMarzio-DP151-PAF-Pro-Pickup-302040-i1127610.Music123

my friend put a set in his RG and they're pretty fancy sounding for the price

or this
http://www.music123.com/Seymour-Duncan-SH-11-Custom-Custom-Pickup-300120-i1127407.Music123

i want those for my first guitar that i want to slowly turn into my clean/soft song guitar and keep my V as my metal axe.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
hmmm those do seem pretty tasty I will definitely consider those. Small update: after trying to get a nice clean angled route on the neck pocket I decided to say screw it all and made it flat. I know TOM and flat don't work that's why i am cutting the angle in the actual neck. I am also hoping that tonight i will get my truss rod in and my fretboard on as yesterday i went to a party instead. But i will post pics tonight no matter what
Quote by Dr. House
Update: Well my neck is toasted... but the good news is it went down in a blaze of glory. I was cutting the angle on my neck with my band saw today and i got done with one side and that turned out well then i went to the other side and i was about half way done when i heard a loud pop which was the blade on my band saw breaking. This lead to some gnarly chip-out at the spot in my neck that i was cutting. so bad that it really is not salvagable. The good news is i took of the fretboard without it breaking and i got the truss rod out as well so ill glue up another neck blank tomorrow and try again. The neck pocket is also finished and Ill edit this post with pics later.
Quote by Dr. House
You should hang the old neck on a plaque(sp?) that says "Don't forget to change the blade"
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
that sucks x2
1: Because your necks gone
and 2: Because you can't do a Perry Ormsby and cut the headstock off because your bandsaws broken
yea but there were some imperfections in it due to my inexperience with working with flamed maple so it should turn out better this time. Plus I think that i will do a five piece the two outer pieces being flame maple next followed by 1/4 inch pieces of walnut then a piece of oak in the middle. It could look cool or it could look like crap well see.
Quote by Dr. House
The TR also looks like its upside down in this photo

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m123/kolanski/100_2499.jpg

The adjusting rod should sit below the passive rod.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^^My dad has had some oak laying around since he made us an entertainment stand so and i love the grain on it so i figured id give it a shot. And the truss rod slot was not really what i wanted it to be so I'm almost glad this happened

^haha yea i realized that before i put it in the first failed neck.
Quote by Dr. House
here are the pics of carnage/progress:

Here is the neck with the truss rod out and the fretboard off with any breakage.

The carnage caused by the snapped band saw blade

Body progress:

Body progress close up:
Quote by Dr. House
I know... triple post...

Any way I finally found some time to make another neck blank. Its a bit different because the first one was rather boring. This one is a 5 piece laminate with maple oak and walnut as the middle piece. Looks pretty sharp i think. Here it is fresh from clamping.

Beyond this I really haven't accomplished much. My parts arrive tomorrow so Ill have some pics of those.
Quote by Dr. House
yea what is this my 5th post in a row? haha anyway....

So Ive gotten the body completely sanded and flat and perfect and today i got a wild hair up my ass and looked for a top for it. I settled on a nice subtle piece of spalted maple because i love the look of it. In case anyone's wondering i got it for 26 bucks.

I also, in the course of last time i updated, found out that i cannot build a proper neck at this time. I built a practice one that came out great but my real ones came out like crap. so i bought one on ebay for 50 bucks. Nice maple on maple neck.

So thats pretty much it. When these pieces come ill be able to get the neck drilled and the pickup recesses routed and find the bridge/ferrules.
Quote by Dr. House
Any time i would go to cut no matter what kind of jig i used or how much i measured and tested it came out bad. I know for a fact that this summer i am going to build another guitar as a graduation present to myself so i will try again then seeing as i shelled out for a fret saw already.

Most of the problem i had was with scarfing the neck joint so next go round im gunna make a neck thick enough so i don't have to scarf it.
Quote by Dr. House
Fender necks for the win!

Angled headstocks are for chumps.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
hmm i never thought of that one. Maybe thats what ill try in the summer then.

Edit: I forgot to mention i think now that i decided to buy this top I am going to try to make it a semi hollow body. There's not reason behind it really just that my body is pretty heavy and i like the looks of a semi hollow body (come to think of it those kinda are reasons)
Quote by Dr. House
Last edited by Kolanski at Feb 1, 2009,
Decided to do a quick mock up of what I am hoping this guitar will come out looking like. The book match isn't lined up correctly but it is the best that i could do and these are actual pictures of the top i am getting.

Quote by Dr. House
Quote by Kolanski
Decided to do a quick mock up of what I am hoping this guitar will come out looking like. The book match isn't lined up correctly but it is the best that i could do and these are actual pictures of the top i am getting.

that is sexy indeed, can't wait to see it finished
Bookmatched spalted wood = win.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
That's what i thought. I wasn't going to do a top for this because i was saving up to buy a new guitar but decided to say screw it and sink the 400 bucks into this baby. This top was a steal too its surfaced on four sides book matched and 3/8 inches thick for 26 bucks shipped. I can't wait for this thing to get here. I'm thinking either an oil and wax finish or just doing an amber clear any one have any thoughts?
Quote by Dr. House
Clear amber would make it a bit orange would it not? Because that would look brilliant.
it's all coming back

That's what i was thinking. I know that i want to make the spalted top a few shades darker than the neck so i was thinking either an amber dye then clear over that or doing and amber tinted clear
Quote by Dr. House
Small update:

I got my neck after my dogs almost mauled the ups man... oops... BUT I did get it and i have pictures. These are w/out screws or anything so i think thats pretty good; its no ormsby mind you but still pretty good.

My top shipped today so hopefully Ill get that before the weekend and start this thing for real.
Quote by Dr. House
This is looking really good, loving that neck, pretty sexy.

Is it just me or is the upper horn/ cut away slightly varied from the normal tele shape?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
yea I'm sure it is ha. I tried to down load metal warriors template but it didn't work so i drew it free hand. The angle worsens the problem tho.
Quote by Dr. House
I see, that's pretty awesome considering you freehanded, congrats on that

I actaully do think it's the angle, either way this should look pretty awesome *subscribed*
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Thanks I can't wait for my top to come even though i am having second thoughts about it... The mahogany and maple combo just gets to me so well see. chances are good that I'll keep the top seeing as i pretty much have my next build decided on and it doesn't involve a top.
Quote by Dr. House
Not that much progress really just a few pictures.

My top was supposed to come yesterday but UPS couldn't get here (thanks NE Ohio weather...) so it came today. And here's a picture of it

Here's the neck shim I'm going to have to use now since at the beginning I wasn't anticipating a top and routed as such. It still needs some refining yet but its not too bad.

Finally I realized i forgot to take a picture of my parts. Although you prolly cant tell, what i have is a 3X3 set of tuners and i have an inline 6 neck... ill be ordering new tuners when i order my pickups

Tomorrow I pretty much have the day off until 4 or 5 so i should with luck cut out the maple, take a good chunk outta the body and maybe fit my neck so more pics tomorrow
Quote by Dr. House
That top is sexy as sex can be.
Finish nao pl0x?
it's all coming back

Page 1 of 2