Whats up? First post here and promoting my band.

We are Beyond the Rule from Davenport, Ia. We just formed in the later part of 2008 and are what we'd call pop metal. The demos on our myspace are more like hardcore, as we recorded them a while back, but our newer writing will have a really cool sound that actually does merge those two. We're currently finishing up writing and getting ready for shows (and still looking for a bassist!).

http://www.myspace.com/beyondtherule

Check us out/add us and let me know what you think!
Last edited by Evergreens at Jan 14, 2009,
I must say I as expecting some kind of sub-par pop-punk/hardcore mix that barely works, but That was some damn good stuff you have there!

Great vocals, guitar parts that are actually interesting, nice overall ideas.. and if you say your newer material mixes the two genre's better then get that lot recorded so I can hear how you guys have progressed.

What I'd have to say though is get some more people to jam with, like bass and keys. I know you're probably doing well without at the moment and all (I understand how that is) but even if you can get away with like backing tracks it would give you a lot more scope musically if you found some other people, They'd probably bring some fresh ideas to the table.

Then again, if you do have other people you write with then my mistake, and ignore what I just said haha.

These recordings inparticular sound like a band that knows what they want to be doing but aren't fully into their sound yet ya know. but dare I say, you've probably worked out the kinks in your song writing as a band, if these were recorded a while back.

Thanks for the feedback.

Haha kind of funny that were in the process of doing a lot of what you suggested, as we do have a keyboardist in mind, and another guitarist. (I'm the vocalist and i know it still says i play guitar on the myspace i gotta change that!) And we are still finding our sound. Its hard to merge genres as you find yourself with just songs of both genres youre tryind to merge, rather than actually putting them together.
It is hard at first with a new band an' all (I'm finding this problem with my newest project "Rivers") I guess eventually everthing just clicks doesn't it. In my opinion in means you having to pick the good parts of each genre and get creative, or something, yeah that sentence sounded better in my mind haha. But you get the point right.

Although, I do believe its perfectly okay to have songs of that are a little more one genre than the other, as if the band has gotten into the swing of things sound wise, a lot of things you create as a band will sound like... well, you really. Each person in a band/project has their own way of playing and that should come across whatever genre you give the majority to. If you see what I mean.

You've hit on a good thing here, and for that I commend.

Again...

GET RECORDING!!!

:P
Quote by Of_Wolves

GET RECORDING!!!

:P

Definitely workin on that as soon as possible!

Might post a new unfinished demo soon, wont have real drums yet tho.
I'm not into the whole melodramatic scene, but you guys do sound surprisingly awesome, how did you record? Do you know a producer or something? Cause the sound quality is really very good, the mixes are good, the overdubs for the voice are perfect, and you all seem so young, I'm impressed.
Quote by MiG_853
I'm not into the whole melodramatic scene, but you guys do sound surprisingly awesome, how did you record? Do you know a producer or something? Cause the sound quality is really very good, the mixes are good, the overdubs for the voice are perfect, and you all seem so young, I'm impressed.

Haha...the melodramatic genre on our page is kind of a joke. I like to put some random stuff in things occasionally, but I guess the songs could be considered slightly dramatic...

The recordings were just done mainly by me and our drummer. He owns enough equipment to record drums properly, and we just found the best acoustic spaces we could when we had time to record (although we made a poor choice with "You Don't Get to Do This Forever", as made evident by the snare reverb ). Guitar was even more simple: just an sm57 did the trick. I then recorded my vocals and ran them through some typical chorus/reverb stuff so they weren't bland, and added compression to smooth out all the volume spikes. We're working on an EP of sorts and im still aiming for better quality than we have now though...

Thanks for your thoughts! Keep adding us if you're on myspace, and let us know about your bands!
Great sound you guys have. Very nice production work. And you have an incredible voice.
Quote by voodoogmr
Great sound you guys have. Very nice production work. And you have an incredible voice.

Thanks.

Can't wait to put up a new demo. I've been working on my voice so much in the past 5 months, and I'm a much better vocalist now. I actually recorded a few new things today, so if you enjoy us keep on the look out.
Hey whats up?

I'm bringin my thread back one final time cause we got a new demo posted on our myspace. Check it out let me know what you think!
I have to ask. How old is the one guitarist. He looks like 8 (Not that it matters)
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, RATHER EMAIL MY SITE
beaconcraft@hotmail.com
www.beaconcraft.com

Quote by On Winds of Plague
The problem with these guys, they aren't beating a dead horse, they're sodomizing it, and then charging people to watch the video on the internet.
Quote by Mr. Hand
I have to ask. How old is the one guitarist. He looks like 8 (Not that it matters)

Haha. He's like 15/ That pic has gotta be old cause he looks way older now. Should have new band photos soon, lol.