Page 1 of 2
The guys made 30+ albums spanning pretty much every genre and some know-it-all has the guts to say hes a soulless, toneless shredder. Congratulations to you sir you've heard one of his songs (jordan) which even if soulless is still an amazing feet of guitar wizardry.

I mean come on people if any of the haters sat down and listened to half the albums hes made i think they would change there minds. I mean come on, In The Search Of...is 13 discs of just music that he made...not a song title or art-y cover to be found, just many hours of musical expression.

I can understand only in part if you find his whole bucket fasad a tad weird but judging on the looks is still stupid, for example if u went on the eletric guitar forum and said that a les paul was ****ty because you didnt like the look, you would be flamed non stop for 6 pages
It's taste. These threads are stupid because it just turns into a shoving match. He's obviously got talent, but I don't really dig his stuff. It's just preference.
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
It's taste. These threads are stupid because it just turns into a shoving match. He's obviously got talent, but I don't really dig his stuff. It's just preference.

This.
I think people say he is soulless because you can't see his facial expressions.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by Ninjamonkey767

+1
Quote by Ninjamonkey767

+2

I know he's a good guitarist. But its just his style of music that a lot of people don't like. But for me I know its wrong but I hate how he looks to. You can't see facial expressions and that can make a big difference when people see him as a guitarist.
Quote by cMoni Move
he dosent write lyrics, my prob

So is Miles Davis a bad musician? How about John McLaughlin, or maybe Coltrane? Or how about Frank Sinatra? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
So is Miles Davis a bad musician? How about John McLaughlin, or maybe Coltrane? Or how about Frank Sinatra? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Or how about the fucking millions of instrumental bands in literally every genre imaginable?

And a lot of people hate on Buckethead because a portion of his music is boring wank rock.
I personally just don't like his style. I know someone will be like you haven't listened to all his songs or something, but to stop that from happening here is my answer, I don't ****ing care.

These type of threads are stupid. People like different types of music.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I both like and dislike him.

I downloaded 18 albums of his and I found songs that I like, such as Lone Sal Bug, Oakridge Cake, and Soothsayer. I also have a cd that he did with Primus, which is really sweet. But other then that, there are a lot of songs that are pretty crappy, like the bucketheadland cd's. I end up skipping a majority of them when it's on shuffle.
I like Buckethead, but he is the most repetitive guitarist I have ever seen. He uses the exact same shred lick in every song I have ever heard by him. The Paul Gilbert lick. It becomes to much. He is a average guitar player and nothing more.
I apologise for the last post. I had not correctly read your post Dokken. Please accept my apology for my horrendous mistake. Unfortunately I for some reason can not delete that message.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
People don't like Buckethead because they don't like the style of shred he plays. Apparently because he uses a similar lick as Paul Gilbert, he's not a musician. Its true that he does use a Paul Gilbert lick, but the guy (Buckethead) was taught by PG when he was only a teenager. Teenagers as we all know get influenced very much by teachers and whatnot.
Buckethead however does have several styles of playing. For instance, Who Me? Shows bluegrass roots, King James shows basic rock, and Fleeing from Inbred Mountain shows metal. The guy is the most versatile guitarist I have every seen. Show me one who plays (From Wikipedia): " Avant-garde, jazz fusion, funk, instrumental rock, hard rock, progressive metal, heavy metal, experimental rock, funk metal, ambient, dark ambient, alternative metal, electronica". I don't think you can find one.
The guy also has almost the most respect to past and present musicians that I've seen. He has quite a few tributes, including Welcome to Bucketheadland (To Randy Rhoads, hear the Crazy Train riff in there?), Android of Notre Dame (To Dimebag), his cover of I Like it Raw (To ODB of Wu Tang Clan), his Wrathchild cover, to Iron Maiden, his several Hendrix covers (Including Stone Free, Machine Gun, Foxey Lady), and lastly a dance with backing music quite similar to Michale Jackson.
People shouldn't hate on him. They just need to listen to his other stuff, because its quite possible that he has music for just about anyone.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by RockGuitar92
I personally just don't like his style. I know someone will be like you haven't listened to all his songs or something, but to stop that from happening here is my answer, I don't ****ing care.

These type of threads are stupid. People like different types of music.

then why would you even look at this thread if its stupid let alone post in it whatever bucketheads cool this kid knows nothing hes only what 16
In all honesty his "music" sounds like a bulls whine if he were to be shot in the testicles with a 12 gauge.
Or listen to Colma, Acoustic Shards, and Electric Tears.

Nottingham Lace isn't really the first song I'd cite for emotional.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
wellll.
i just think hes much less talented then someone like eric clapton for example.
hes a shredder. and that whole generation of shredders and hair metal guitarists are just simply less talented then early late 60's and early 70's guitarists. i mean we now live in a world where speed is golden. if thats the case, then sure, buckethead and all the other shredders who are considered the greatest guitarist ever...they are all golden. i beg to differ though. i think playing fast is a slight skill. nothing great though...
on a soul-scale 1-10 between buckethead and hendrix...
hendrix = 10
buckethead = maybe a 3

thats the way i look at it....
Quote by Ndelle94
In all honesty his "music" sounds like a bulls whine if he were to be shot in the testicles with a 12 gauge.

i pretty much agree with thhis.

ive heard all those "soulfull" songs of buckethead.

go listen to machine gun by jimi hendrix. thats soul...

sorrrry, not a guy who wears a bucket on his head, and got rejected by the red hot chili peppers when he tryed out for the band.
I have never heard Buckethead get any hate.

Only on a forum game where it was "band vs. band" this one guy voted RHCP over Buckethead. His opinion is wrong. That is a fact.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq93gdxo0C4
Tell me this has no emotion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGdQ8N8k78
Tell me that's not incredible.
If soul is what your after, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mm93QyEsks
That's got soul. Soul changes over 50 years. What you want is another Eric Clapton, or another Hendrix. But there won't be. Its a different era. If Hendrix was born in this era, I can guarantee you his sound would be completely different.

And something tells me that a lot of people back in the 60's said 'Jimi Hendrix isn't soulful. He's just loud. If you want soulful listen to some blues.'
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I've only heard one song, when I was playing on my mates Guitar Hero and that was pretty cool. Perhaps I'll listen to more of his stuff.
Dont hate on Buckethead! His music is awsome!!! If you dont like him...well nobody cares what you like!
Quote by JONASx5150x
then why would you even look at this thread if its stupid let alone post in it whatever bucketheads cool this kid knows nothing hes only what 16

I'm sorry, but you're either a troll or you have no knowledge of what a forum actually is. If it's the latter of the two, then consider this: the thread is about people not liking Buckethead. Some users do, some don't and many are explaining why they do/don't/why they think others might feel the same way. It's very simple: A question/topic is posted and people discuss it. As long as it's relevant, it fits. It doesn't matter if someone has an opinion that differs from your own

Also, don't judge someone based on age. When I saw your post I assumed you weren't old enough to register for an account, but maybe you are. All that matters here is what you have to say.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Last edited by terrencemaddox at Mar 15, 2009,
I've never really seen a lot of people hate on him. If anything, from what I've seen, it's been the exact opposite. He gets TONS of praise, but deservingly so.
I've always thought that he didn't get the positive attention he deserves for his ability for one reason.
He has a ****ing bucket on his head!
When you were a kid and had a box/bucket/bag on your head, did you get any respect?

He's talented but I don't like most of his stuff. Don't hate or dislike him, just don't care.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Honestly, and many may disagree, but to me, Buckethead is the greatest guitarist. Yes, I've heard Hendrix and Clapton and all the thousands of popular, catchy guitar riffs. And yes, some guitarists have more technical skill. Off of the top of my head, Malmsteen and Vai easily are faster, more technical shredders. But how about some emotion? To me, music is emotion. Comparison. Note: I am by no means trashing Malmsteen with this example. He is an incredible shredder. He can write some fast licks. But watch this vids.

Malmsteen's "Arpeggios from Hell"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_IYe5JTZ4

Buckethead's "Soothsayer"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adV8-_hgL4g

Near the end, Buckethead does some incredible shredding. But it sounds amazing! He has the ability to make every single note he plays flow with the music. He knows when to slow it down and play whole notes, or when to get you off your feet with his incredible shred licks.

And Soothsayer only scratches the surface of Bucketheads ability. Electric Tears is probably the most emotion filled song I've heard, and its relatively simple to play, compared to other songs. Or check out Welcome to Bucketheadland. Or his Star Wars theme. To me, Buckethead is my guitar idol.
Quote by classicguy
wellll.
i just think hes much less talented then someone like eric clapton for example.
hes a shredder. and that whole generation of shredders and hair metal guitarists are just simply less talented then early late 60's and early 70's guitarists. i mean we now live in a world where speed is golden. if thats the case, then sure, buckethead and all the other shredders who are considered the greatest guitarist ever...they are all golden. i beg to differ though. i think playing fast is a slight skill. nothing great though...
on a soul-scale 1-10 between buckethead and hendrix...
hendrix = 10
buckethead = maybe a 3

thats the way i look at it....

why would Buckethead be a 3? That's stupid, imo he's clearly one of the best guitarists around right now..

I don't really care for his solo work, its not bad.. i just never listen to it. His work with Les Claypool is really awesome though
Quote by Peaceful Rocker

why would Buckethead be a 3? That's stupid, imo he's clearly one of the best guitarists around right now..

I don't really care for his solo work, its not bad.. i just never listen to it. His work with Les Claypool is really awesome though

Hey Peaceful have you heard his sit in with Umphrey's? It's ****ing sick...
http://www.archive.org/details/um2004-12-30.skm184.flac
I've never been bothered to listen to Buckethead but if I get the time I will.
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
the ppl who doesn't know about theory, scales and musical patterns hates him.
the majority of these people doesn't know or cannot recognize a note with their own ears when you play a note.

the same people who hates Buckethead thinks that Kurt cobain was a great guitar player with Slash xD ..or believes that both are in top 100 great guitar players in the world LOL

is just ignorance
Last edited by jaguar100 at Apr 21, 2009,
Page 1 of 2