the other guitarist would get angry if I took over his songwriting process. he really sucks with songwriting, writes poor riffs and doesnt know any theory or chords. But hes able to play songs he learsn really well. We're thinking of cutting him out of the songwriting process, and leaving just me and the bassist and drummer writing. what do you think?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Does he think he sucks?

Just tell him that you would like more control over the creative process until he learns more theory and hones his chops in that aspect of music.

That way in his mind, there will at least be the inkling that he is not completely cut out.
This will hopefully keep him from being too offended so as to get all dickish and quit.
Last edited by AA00P at Jan 11, 2009,
that's kinda odd that you would have only one person do songwriting in your band, why don't you all write stuff and bring it all to the table so your influences mix and make ORIGINAL MUSIC. isn't that the goal?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
or you could work with him, maybe tell him why his ideas are crappy or just refine them as a band. the last band i was in had a "bassist" that sat around and didnt do anything, and when he did write, he wrote crappy, and would give on the first bar of tabs for covers we wanted to play. and we didnt tell him he sucked lol.

be honest with the dude, i guess
Quote by AA00P
Does he think he sucks?

Just tell him that you would like more control over the creative process until he learns more theory and hones his chops in that aspect of music.

By not excluding him completely, you will hopefully avoid offending him too much.

THe last thing we wrote together, he thought it was awesome when we played it (it was some poorly strung together powerchords with a kinda cool riff over it, but not our type of thing). the following day he came up to me and said that the stuff from the previous day was just jamming, he didn't want it to be a song. generally he gets really happy when he writes this pretty bad stuff, but realizes its bad later. I dont think he thinks it sucks though.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
How do you plan to go about this? It seems to me that there are a couple of ways this could go:

A) You don't tell him you are leaving him out of the song writing process and he'll come to practice with riffs and progressions and you guys shoot them down and eventually he'll get frustrated and leave. Or he'll eventually realize you guys are all writing songs together without him and he will feel left out and will eventually quit.

or

B) You tell him he sucks at songwriting (obviously not like that, but sincerely and honestly) and that you and the other guys will do that, but he is still in the band. But he will most likely quit anyway just because you hurt his feelings and he will think you're an asshole.

Basically, if he wants to be a song writer, hes going to be one, it might just be best if you guys split. Unless he's totally cool with just being a musician and not involved in the creative process, I can't imagine he would be though.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Just write riffs and progessions and such, show them to the band, and hopefully they'll see that yours are better, and he will too. And teach him theory along the way so he can improve. Maybe even recommend a book or site that has helped you. Not like 'You should get this', but more like 'This really helped me'.
good ideas so far guys. he might be cool playing music and not writing but i doubt it. i'm gonna start trying to teach him theory, introduce him to UG and stuff.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
that's kinda odd that you would have only one person do songwriting in your band, why don't you all write stuff and bring it all to the table so your influences mix and make ORIGINAL MUSIC. isn't that the goal?

^This.

Quote by Shadow_Hawk

good ideas so far guys. he might be cool playing music and not writing but i doubt it. i'm gonna start trying to teach him theory, introduce him to UG and stuff.

Yeah, bring him here..... and we can show him what you've been saying about him behind his back.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Yeah, bring him here..... and we can show him what you've been saying about him behind his back.

pwned.

@TS - well... would YOU be upset?

Look through your CD collection and note the songwriting credits. You'll find that a vast majority of the songs are written by one person in the band, or another person in the band, or as a collaboration between two members. It is rare that the whole band writes the song. Not to suggest for a second that this can't work....

Given that, let him write his stuff. You write yours. When it comes time to pick songs for a gig or for an album, have the band pick what they believe (or even the fans if you have demos that you're willing to share) to be the best of the songs - regardless of who wrote them. If they really do suck, you'll quickly see a pattern that starts to emerge. The other guy will quickly have to concede and realize that maybe songwriting isn't his thing... at least not for this band. If it turns out that his songs are chosen over yours, you'll really need to re-assess your opinion of them.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.