Page 1 of 3
Yeah yeah, the word "emotional" is overused, but you know when you're watching a live video on youtube and something just gets to you? This is the thread for such performances.

I'll start it off with Elvis Presley singing My Way in 1977, a month or so before he died.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s5CZuRF9LBE

He's pale and overweight and you can clearly see everything isn't right, but yet he delivers such a passionate performance.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Watch Alice in Chains unplugged.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Yellow Matter Custard- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Gilbert's solo is just breathtaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QL0Jkb_GU

Also, I saw flogging molly in denver on new years, and it was the most emotionally charged performance I've ever seen. Can't wait to go again.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by KillerNapkin
Kurt cobain was emotional
Yeah, the Unplugged session is the first that comes to mind.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
That time when ShineDown did .45 and he shot a pistol at the end.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Just Andrew
Yeah, the Unplugged session is the first that comes to mind.

Pearl Jam did a pretty great Unplugged session, too. That was back when they really got into their performances.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vmQjUq21Y

I think that's the saddest performance I've ever seen. When they did Sludge Factory, Layne was forgetting where he was, and he takes off his sunglasses and you see his eyes all dilated. And his voice was shot.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

The first thing i thought when I saw this thread... When Layne took his sunglasses off, I was shocked to see the darkness around his eyes. It was a really moving show...

EDIT: What Jack Off Jill said, though his voice wasn't too bad I don't think.

Also, I was really moved by "Nutshell", knowing the problems Layne had, and well, how he died some years ago...
Last edited by Rokeman at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I was going to say that. Here's Nutshell, which opened their performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCxx4fgJwA
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Quote by Rokeman
The first thing i thought when I saw this thread... When Layne took his sunglasses off, I was shocked to see the darkness around his eyes. It was a really moving show...

The summer after my sophomore year in high school, I watched that damn dvd twice a day for months. Between his dark circles, the fact that he's obviously trying to hide how skinny he is and his absesses with all those layers of clothing and gloves, it's really sad. And then when he can't hit certain notes in Down In a Hole.. It's just a bummer. I did learn how to play guitar by watching that thing, though..
Quote by vintage x metal

Looks like Alice in Chains had the most emotional live performance, at least so far...

There seems to be a trend with Unplugged shows being more emotional though.
The Rites of Spring - For Want Of. Guy is crying at some point
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf_ucq-NwTo

Taking Back Sunday's The Ballad of Sal Villanueva. Back then when they were amazing.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6GSDhrM3rX8

Anthony Green - She Loves Me So
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRehwrd5gY

Anthony Green and Cove Reber both sing on "Dear Child (I've Been Trying To Reach You)"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Jze0KSLAc&feature=related

That's all I got for right now.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
watching the TS's vid.. and i'm almost crying

The king is still alive in my heart!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Queen, live at Wembley 1986.

Who Wants To Live Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApaVMqAVtc

Before the performance, Freddie says "We're going to stay together until we ****ing well die, I'm sure..."

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Between his dark circles, the fact that he's obviously trying to hide how skinny he is and his absesses with all those layers of clothing and gloves, it's really sad. And then when he can't hit certain notes in Down In a Hole.. It's just a bummer.

+1

I can't even imagine what he must have been like just before he died 6 years later.
Gary Moore Playing an exerpt of "Old Town" followed by "Parisienne Walkways" (along with happy birthday at the end) in tribute to Phil Lynott in a Tribute concert in 2005 on what would have been his 56th birthday.

Part 1
Part 2
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes
Jimi Hendrix

"In paradise there are no walls"
Quote by will123456789
watching the TS's vid.. and i'm almost crying

The king is still alive in my heart!

I know how you feel. Towards the end, when he really belts it out I'm all...
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Bruce Springsteen, in my opinion is the undisputed KING of live, emotional performances, Every time he gives it his all and delivers, its just breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPSZiE0OAs

This is him performing "Thunder Road" With just him and a piano. Even if you don't enjoy his music, this will move you, i guarantee.
Quote by Draken
lulz is a stupid term used by rectal dwelling wart children.
Quote by superunknown
+1

I can't even imagine what he must have been like just before he died 6 years later.

Well, apparently he became really reclusive and didn't answer the phone for anyone but his drug dealer. Even his family rarely saw him, and he wasn't at all happy with the AIC boys. After his girlfriend died.. I think she died around the time of that Unplugged performance.. I guess he just quit trying to get clean. He would go out to the bar and just nod out, but wouldn't drink. And according to one interview, he lost control of some of his bodily functions and was sick all the time. Who knows.. I think of all the musicians I know of, he's probably the saddest because I consider him to be the greatest vocalist of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYRD69VvYKg

That's another really depressing performance. Elliott couldn't remember the words to his songs, how they went, or how to play them on his guitar. He'd stop midway in songs and start fumbling around, trying to remember.. And the audience would shout out lyrics and chords to him.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jan 11, 2009,
I don't have video, but I saw Bruce Springsteen play the day after Johnny Cash died, he opened up with an amazing performance of Walk The Line with just him and his acoustic guitar.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Well, apparently he became really reclusive and didn't answer the phone for anyone but his drug dealer. Even his family rarely saw him, and he wasn't at all happy with the AIC boys. After his girlfriend died.. I think she died around the time of that Unplugged performance.. I guess he just quit trying to get clean. He would go out to the bar and just nod out, but wouldn't drink. And according to one interview, he lost control of some of his bodily functions and was sick all the time. Who knows.. I think of all the musicians I know of, he's probably the saddest because I consider him to be the greatest vocalist of all time.

At the time of the Unplugged performance, he was in rehab. His fiance (or girlfriend, I'm not sure) died later that year, though, and he left rehab. After that, it was all downhill for him.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
Leonard Cohen singing the Stranger Song on the Julie Felix Show back in 1967,

To this day I can't listen to the studio version.
The live version is far superior in every way.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by maninthebox24
At the time of the Unplugged performance, he was in rehab. His fiance (or girlfriend, I'm not sure) died later that year, though, and he left rehab. After that, it was all downhill for him.

The way they found him pretty much says a lot about how bad he was in it. He didn't deserve that. He was one of the best vocalists to ever live, I wish he was still around today.
Quote by maninthebox24

I think they weren't together at the time. They split up a lot and got back together. Lifeless Dead from Above brings it up. He refused to see her again until the two of them were clean. I guess her mom hated him, too. Blamed him for her death. After she died, I'm sure he blamed himself, too. He also made some comments about not wanting to be with any other woman. Kurt Cobain gets too much credit for his suicide, I think. Layne's was way more depressing, and as far as I'm concerned, a much bigger loss.

Shannon Hoon, too.
Quote by vintage x metal

Eddie Vedder really puts alot into Pearl Jam's early performances.

especially when they play "Black". wow....
Page 1 of 3