I'm wanting a Martin for about $500 what would the best one in that price range be? Also I played my cousin's Martin his was $500, I think, it didnt have a pickguard though do any of you know what kind it was, I really liked the way it sounded.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
what about the BLEM OOX1?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
what about the BLEM OOX1?

An 00 would be fine if you want a smaller guitar. However, bear in mind that because it's small, it wont sound as full as a dreadnought.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
o ok I didn't know it was any smaller
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
o ok I didn't know it was any smaller

Smaller isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Many guitarists prefer mid-size instruments because the sound is generally well balanced from high to low.
the one I enjoyed was some sort of a Dreadnought DX something...whatever it was it didn't have a pickguard, I've been searching for it
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
the one I enjoyed was some sort of a Dreadnought DX something...whatever it was it didn't have a pickguard, I've been searching for it

DX1 perhaps? Are you sure he didn't buy it used or take the pick guard off himself? I would go to a shop and play all the ones in your price range and find the one you like best. That being said you could probably get something better for your money than an X series Martin but if your heart's set on a Martin then that's ultimately what you're probably going to want to get. But check out the Seagull S6 and Yamaha FG730S or FGX730SCA
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'm sure i saw it the day he got it it didnt have a pickguard, plus he was a starter then he didnt modify any of his equipment
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
The DX1 is great. They aren't well liked around here, a bunch of off-brand snobs who mostly have never seen one hate it just because it's a lower priced Martin. The biggest gripe that the children cry about is the HPL sides. Here's the thing: the guitar sounds great. But since it is not all wood, it will not age like a solid wood guitar will, it will pretty much always sound the way it does new, it won't develop that vintage acoustic tone in 20 years. Since you're looking for a guitar for $500 that probably doesn't matter too much to you.

A perk is that the HPL is less affected by humidity.

Overall the DX1 is damn good for the money (can be had new for $450 or maybe less), sounds great and feels great, it has the same playability as any other martin under a few thousand dollars. It also stays in tune remarkably well, better than any other acoustic under $1000 that I've ever played.

But I also strongly believe that every guitar is an individual: not every single DX1 is great, there are great ones, good ones, fair ones and there are undoubtedly poor and terrible ones, just like with all guitars. I would never buy a guitar that I had a serious interest in without trying it out first (I did make an impulse buy on ebay once but that's cause it was a fender strat for $100...). Go to whatever dealers you can, try out every guitar you can afford (and maybe a couple you can't) and buy the one you like best, not what some other idiot likes best.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Yeah I've been really looking into this, I'm selling a few of my things I bought as a starter to maybe get about $250 more and try to expand my options. Right now I gotta say the DX1K is looking pretty good.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
for 500-750 u can buy a takamine or other guitar that will sound better than any martin or taylor in that price range. in my experience cheaper high end guitars are not as good as the more expensive imports. but if ur locked into a martin i would suggest saving around 1000 and buying something on ebay used
What if I could get a Taylor 110 for $400 should I do it? I heard they have a good tone.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Don't do it without trying it out. I only got my DX1 after trying out every guitar in my price range at the store. That included the Taylor 110 and I didn't like it at all. But that could have just been a lemon.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Don't do it without trying it out. I only got my DX1 after trying out every guitar in my price range at the store. That included the Taylor 110 and I didn't like it at all. But that could have just been a lemon.

x2. And it probably wasn't a lemon.

If you're set on Martin, go try those two.
But also, try others within your price range, don't think about the name on the headstock, and get whichever one feels and sounds best to you.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Just as a note, you could score a Martin DM (much better than a DX1 IMO) used for around $500.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
What you should really do is try everything in your price range. Just pick up every guitar in your price range and play them all side-by-side. Only then will you get exactly what you want. If it turns out to be the Martin, great. But always keep an open mind.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've been really tryin stuff out lately, and I'm really liking the one my cuz had now, it has the tone I'm looking for. I just need to ask him what model it was.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1