Page 1 of 2
well i didn't listen to it straight away, maybe i wasn't ready lol?

but i listened to rock and gradually started to get heavier and heavier, and then got used to it.... but then i got "bored" and started listening to gentler music

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
Give me Country music any ol' day. No metal, it's just a lot too harsh and angry.
I didn't like metal either, like a billion other people who got into it.

Now, go on to the metal forum.
I've found Jesus
well i couldn't stand screaming vocals, but the more i got into music the more i realized it was a different way to present your anger than just yelling really clean aqnd really loud, and the guitar usually atracts me to a song, i still cant stand stuff that gets to Whitechapel esque noise its one of the main reasons i can't sit and listen to opeth i just can't get into the vocals although i like burden and think they are quite talented
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I just started listening to mainstream rock but then I began listening to heavier bands that some of my friends and cousins introduced me to and now I totally love metal
I usually have to listen to new genres or bands more than once to like them
Quote by London_guitaris

but i listened to rock and gradually started to get heavier and heavier, and then got used to it.... but then i got "bored" and started listening to gentler music

I'm like the same lol
Quote by London_guitaris

agreed, i gradually built up, started with classic rock, then went into iron maiden, next you know slayer. then it gradually declined. im into blues now. pretty much right back where i started, and jam bands, a lot more chill and enjoyable. i also found when i listened to metal i became very narrow minded torward other genres. then my guitar teacher opened me up to the wonderful world of jazz and blues. i like being well rounded with my musical taste.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I hate most music at first, they take some getting used to. The few bands that I loved instaneously were Streetlight Manifesto (my favorite ever), Jaco Pastorius, Cream, Hendrix, and Muse. All the others took alot of persuasion and constant listening to learn to appreciate the music. Although I must say I hated Clapton's solo career when I first heard it, in contrast to Cream, but now I think it is actually better, just kinda pop-ish.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I pretty much loved Black Sabbath the first time I heard them, but it took me a little while to get into bands like Opeth. Listening to Meshuggah's Chaosphere seemed to expedite the process though...
Yeah man, the first time I listened to Trivium (I think it was Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr), I hated it! But now they're basically my fav. band, and I listen to stuff like The Faceless and Necrophagist.
Same, I hated metal first time. Then my life got progressively worse and I could relate to some metal songs, and it lets loose the anger!
Yeah, I absolutely hated Underoath the first time I heard that type of music. Now they're my favorite band and I like lots more metal bands =] just still not the scary ones haha
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I was pissed off, and Killing is My Business was on the radio. Liked it, then listened to metal only for like, 4 years.

I listen to everything now

Pink Floyd, Paul Gilbert, Cannibal Corpse, Arch Enemy, Megadeth, Jason Becker, Bach, Paganini, and only a FEW of Mozart's songs.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I'm not and don't think I'll ever be a fan of the OTT Metal (Norweigan, Death, Doom, Etc). It's just not for me. But I have to say since picking up the guitar I've come to appreciate, metal alot more even if I don't exactly enjoy it.

That said my tastes in music has definately gotten broader since I started learning to play. I now listen to a much more varied range of music, both 'heavier' and 'lighter' all thanks to picking up the guitar.
Yeah, V.U.K., that's exactly how I am now. My iPod on shuffle will go from Necrophagist to Alien Ant Farm to Kenny Wanye Shepard Band to Sinatra and Metallica and that good stuff. Hahaha.
Metal was the first type of music I can remember actually liking. Some kids were listening to it (Metallica's ...And Justice For All) on their boombox outside the fence when I was in kindergarten and it just hit home with me right off the bat. Considering AJFA came out in the summer of '88, I must've just turned four or something.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jan 11, 2009,
I was indifferent about it. Im just getting bored of metal lately.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
metal used to scare me. Today, i still don't listen to THAT much of it, but enjoy some of it, but cope the rest.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Getting into Linkin Park got me into the riffs and screaming. So I was prepared.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
My opinion is whatever you like to play on guitar, you'll start liking the genre. So since many guitar players start with rock/metal, we tend to like metal as we play more and more
I got into metal back in the late 1970s/early 1980s- and I came to it through classic rock.

We were living in Manhattan...Kansas...and there was a station I listened to that played classic rock, and later in the night, they played some of the heavier stuff- Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath. I loved it.

Then the Heavy Metal movie was released in 1981, and I SOOOOOO wanted that soundtrack- I got it for my 14th birthday.

That was about it for a while. Then we moved to Texas, and I had to hang out with the realtor's kids while my parents went house-shopping. We sat around playing Atari and listened to music- and I got my first taste of ZZ Top and Rush. LOTS of Rush.

I was hooked. I found another rock station, very similar to the one in KS, but THEY played Sab and the like during the day...and at night, they played METALLICA. Oh yeah, and other bands like Anthrax, Metal Church, Megadeth, and so forth.

It wasn't until 1990 or so that metal became the dominant ingredient in my music collection, though. Now, however, the popularity of the "devil-growl" vocal style has led to me buying less of it, and my interest in New Wave and Jazz has re-blossomed.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I was born in the 90's. You either liked grunge and alt. rock or you liked the remains of hair metal. Or if you were born in the south like me, you got into Country. Then when I moved I got into classic rock. Then I got into metal, and generally liked most of it first time hearing. Except screamo. Now I'm just a mix of almost every genre there is. Except screamo. And emo. And pop. And ironically country. And metal except for Tony Iommi, EVH and Randy Rhoads(or at least I try to mix some RR-style playing in).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 12, 2009,
I was exactly like that I only listened to GNR and Motley Crue for a long time then I kinda slowly warmed up to it. I dont really play it though just listen to it mostly.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Didn't like it the first time I heard it.

Now I still don't like it, but I respect the technical skill of metal guitarists.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Didn't like it the first time I heard it.

Now I still don't like it, but I respect the technical skill of metal guitarists.

+1

If only everyone were like this we wouldnt have so many pointless music debates
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I didnt like it at the start, made fun of constant screaming, was just noise to me. Then I heard Avenged Sevenfolds song Unholy Confessions (from Waking the Fallen, their best CD) and liked it. I started easing into harder and harder music. Then I heard Needled 24/7 by Children of Bodom, this was the heaviest song I heard at the time and got like... some kind of adrenalyn rush. Now they are my favorite band.
Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
+1

You should always listen to this bird-man-woman-thing.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

What the fuck man!? That's SWEET

I think I might actually use that!

no, even now im meh towards it, not my style of music
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Oh, and although I don't really like the genre much, there are a few songs/artists/bands that I listen to occationally.

And I really like Family Force 5. They have a bit of a metal-ish edge to their songs. They aren't technically astounding, but the songs are fun, entertaining, and if you really listen to the lyrics and make the interpretations they are intending you to, they're very lyrically sound as well.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I never got into metal. I just don't like it. The heaviest stuff that I listen too is probably the likes of 1970s Black Sabbath, Dio, and Rainbow.
Quote by strekship
I never got into metal. I just don't like it. The heaviest stuff that I listen too is probably the likes of 1970s Black Sabbath, Dio, and Rainbow.

Black Sabbath...IS metal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Snake™
Getting into Linkin Park got me into the riffs and screaming. So I was prepared.

Haha that was a good joke.
After getting tired of the classical music I was raised on since birth, I started listening to thrash in 8th grade (Slayer, Metallica, etc) along with grunge and mainstream hard rock. I eventually got into progressive rock (Tool, Pink Floyd) around the same time I started listening to 10 Years and Chevelle. At first, I hated the vocals because I couldn't understand what they were saying, nor the reason why they wouldn't want you to at first listen.
So I took a break from playing metal and went into the blues, which in turn got me into jazz. After listening to blues and jazz for a while, I happened upon Between the Buried and Me's "White Walls" and that was it for me.
Now I listen to progressive metal almost exclusively. BTBAM, We Are The Romans, My Bitter End, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Pianos Become the Teeth, Russian Circles... I find enough of what I've always listened to in the genre, and now that I've fallen in love with the vocals, listening to it and writing prog. metal is pretty natural.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
Yeah, I still don't like metal.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
nope.

the first metal song i'd heard was a sepultura song (can't remember which one) and the first two thoughts that ran through my head was:

- what the hell is he saying?
- where the hell are the notes?

first time i really enjoyed a metal song was when i heard the intro to in flames' "gyroscope" and "colony"... they reminded me of megaman x for some reason... heh heh

can't say i'm a huge metalhead now, the only metal bands i've listened to extensively are the essentials: metallica, megadeth, slayer, dream theater, judas priest etc. and a bunch of other bands for their cheez content.

i like iron maiden for their cheez factor... which is the same reason i like versailles philharmonic quintet and dream theater...
Page 1 of 2