I've thought about building my own guitar a few times now but never did. i have a jig saw to cut the body and would reuse an old neck or get someone to make me one. I also have a soldering iron.....Somewhere.

The only thing I would really need is a good router. Could someone recommend me one, something relatively cheap but not a total piece of ****, I need it to work and last for a while. Or could someone at least give me an estimate on how much one would cost so I can figure out if i really want to do this.
Dude this is literally the exact situation I'm in. Have a jigsaw, use and old neck, need router.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I bought one over the holidays, cost me 80 bucks. not too bad. It's a craftsman plunge base router. Sucks that it came with no routing bits though.

I found it easy to use when I routed out a few control cavities (winter break from school ftw!)
On dependability, I can't tell yet, but for what I need, it looks like it will hold up for a while.
my two cents.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Thanks for the replies.

Are there at least some features I definitely need, or some bitz that are really useful. I'd most likely freehand the routing.
Quote by robertito696
Thanks for the replies.

Are there at least some features I definitely need, or some bitz that are really useful. I'd most likely freehand the routing.

Baaaad idea! Especially if you're new to routing. It's really easy to route cavities using templates, which you can pick up from various places, or make yourself. To do this you need a template router bit, which has a bearing above the cutter.

There's a really good guide to routers and routing in the tools section on projectguitar.com, helped me out a great deal. Also search youtube for "plunge routing" to see some videos of it happening.
have a look in 2nd hand shops etc. routers are the kind of powertools DIY'ers buy and then realise years later they've only used it once and sell it.

I am also considering getting a router, I have a query for router owners:

can you fit routers with a normal drill bit and use them to drill vertical holes?

apologies for thread-taxation.
Ok so freehand is a bad idea. I'll check out projectguitar.com in a sec. So to use templates I'll need a template bit, makes sense.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=141184-353-1810&lpage=none
would that work?

also, what kind of bit would I need for guitar projects? (i.e. building a guitar)
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by BD 425
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=141184-353-1810&lpage=none
would that work?

also, what kind of bit would I need for guitar projects? (i.e. building a guitar)

Try to get the plunge router version it's much better for guitar stuff. You need a bit with a top bearing, a roundover bit (usually a 1/4" depending on how big you want the roundover on the edges a strat is 1/4"), and a straight bit the size of your truss rod (if you are building necks).

Quote by jimRH7
have a look in 2nd hand shops etc. routers are the kind of powertools DIY'ers buy and then realise years later they've only used it once and sell it.

I am also considering getting a router, I have a query for router owners:

can you fit routers with a normal drill bit and use them to drill vertical holes?

apologies for thread-taxation.

No you can't only use router bits in a router it is much faster than a drill and it's dangerous to use anything besides router bits.
You could put drill bits into a router, and you can hammer nails with frozen bananas, but may I suggest that you get the correct tool for the job?

Also, check out the harbor freight website, they have good stuff from what I'm told.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
hmm,

so, do you get a router bit that just drills holes then? like a drill bit?
I would not buy a Chicago brand tool from harbor freight. Look for a factory reconditioned one brand name. I think they sell reconditioned dewalts online.

I would recommend a set where you can swap bases from a fixed base to a plunge base. The lower center of gravity w/ the fixed base makes routing the body shape easier since it is less likely to tip and cut into the body.

I would also make sure that the router comes with 2 different collets (the part that holds the bit), a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch shank bits. In general, you will want to try to use a 1/2 collet since it absorbs vibration better and is less likely to break. I had a 1/4 bit break at 25,000 rpms and that is something you don't easily forget.

You may want to check Craig's list for routers.
Quote by jimRH7
hmm,

so, do you get a router bit that just drills holes then? like a drill bit?

Router are used for cutting wood in a horizontal direction, drills are used for cutting wood in a vertical direction.

The plunge function on most routers is not nearly smooth and controllable enough to be used in a drill press senario.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Checkout the pawn shops near your house.
You can often find good routers(Sears Craftsman Professional) For 30-50. Test in stores before you take it home, look for any wobble, listen to it spin(You can often tell if its damaged it wont sound smooth)

Rotate it a round carefully while its spinning, if the housing or the support for the motor is broken you will hear a problem.

Stay away from Skill, Ryobi, Firestorm, Chicago Electric, and other cheap brands

Do go for porter cable, sears craftsman (professional is better), Hitachi, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Freud
Quote by Ma|ichi
Checkout the pawn shops near your house.
You can often find good routers(Sears Craftsman Professional) For 30-50. Test in stores before you take it home, look for any wobble, listen to it spin(You can often tell if its damaged it wont sound smooth)

Rotate it a round carefully while its spinning, if the housing or the support for the motor is broken you will hear a problem.

Stay away from Skill, Ryobi, Firestorm, Chicago Electric, and other cheap brands

Do go for porter cable, sears craftsman (professional is better), Hitachi, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Freud

I agree with the list of tools to go for except I have a craftsman router and used it twice it's crap maybe the professionals are better I'll never know. The tools to stay away from is pretty accurate except ryobi tools are fine if it's not something your going to use very often. I hate cheap tools but I have a ryobi angle grinder, bench grinder, and belt sander and there pretty good for the price.
Quote by savage94

Get the plunge router version instead if you get this you have to drill holes a little deeper than the cavity depth for the bit to go in since it can't be lowered while the router is on. I have the hitachi 2 base set but is probably a little too expensive for what you need though, maybe you could try doing a google search for good reconditioned routers.
Hate to be such a bother, but can somebody please link me to the proper router bit to be used for carving control and pickup cavities? I don't really know what I'm looking for when you say a "top bearing."
Thank you, kind sir.
A question on routing:

If you route too much wood out of the body of a bass, is there a chance the bass body will snap under the string tension? Basically I want to route a whole lot of wood under the pickguard to make room for a lot of modifications I want to do.
http://www.tylertool.com/freud21.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

This one is sick. I got it at $130 and router bits at $5 a pop. I am gonna go get a dovetail tomorrow for set necks!
How good is a Bosch POF 1100AE? I can get one for £50, brand new. Good deal?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
How good is a Bosch POF 1100AE? I can get one for £50, brand new. Good deal?

I bought my router from Screwfix for like, £25. It's only 1kW, so it's easy to handle, and it came with a couple of cutters. It's well made too, and performs perfectly for the light work of guitar making.

I just thought I'd say that, in case you want to skimp a bit.

Edit: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92997/Power-Tools/Routers-Planers/Direct-Power-BP1020E-1020W-Router
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jan 31, 2009,
While this thread is here, how exactly would I route the edges of my tele to be smooth? I just have come to realize that you do actually route the sides of the bady(yes, Im stupid). I've been using files and sandpaper..
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Get a template and route around it?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Right, I get that. I have the body cut out and all that. Do you mean make a plywood template of the body and clamp that to the top of the body? What bit do I need?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Make a template, use double sided tape to stick it on the body, and use a bit with a top bearing so it runs along your template and smooths out the edges in the exact shape of the template.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Danke, Mr. Ottar.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat