I recently got my first bass- a yamaha RBX170 and I love it except for one annoying little problem-
how do you eliminate unwanted fret vibrations? especially with Fret 2 on the A string, when pressed it vibrates so loudly against the 3rd fret you can't hear the B note. How do I stop it?! other frets vibrate to but to a lesser extent.
Thank you!
That's called fret buzz, which is sorted out by giving the bass a setup. This involves a bit of work that you need to be confident in doing if you don't want to horribly mess things up- if you've never set an instrument up before, I'd take it into a shop to get done.
Well, it's possible you're fretting too far from the fret which is not allowing the note to sound properly, or you're plucking too hard. If it's not your technique, then you may need a few adjustments done to your neck(Truss rod), nut, and possibly bridge.
Hi.
thanks guys. i loosened the truss rod a tiny little bit and that seems to have made a difference
Quote by becca_88
thanks guys. i loosened the truss rod a tiny little bit and that seems to have made a difference

Thing is, it may alleviate the fretbuzz, but knock your bass out of intonation. The idea of a setup is to sort them both out.

Jimm, ey?, don't spam.