OKay, so here's the problem.
My drummer thinks he's the ****. He wants to play nothing but triplets and blast beats on a cream-esque song. We tried to play London Calling but he said it wasn't "Challenging" enough. I understand London Calling isnt a very hard song to drum, but its a great song. Then me and the guitarist wrote a sweet little...sorta Mean Streets style song. And he wanted to do blast beats. Then he wants us to play some lame ass greenday song, something about a parade or something. And the drumming to that song a brain craving zombie could do.

Oh, and by the way he insists to sing on every song. When he's a extremly ****ty singer. And I'm pretty good (Im in our schools honors choir).

Advice?
Is this what you want?
Not all drummers are stupid, just your drummer is and a few others, this is coming from a drummer.
Tell him to stop being a god damn idiot. The world's best drummers know when to shut the hell up. It's always about playing to the song, I had the same problem once. The technical drumers just want to put their own song into what you're playing, tell him to play it right or he is out.
do what im about to do with my bands bass player lol find someone who plays as good or better then him, then replace him with the new drummer.
Tell him you're covering Necrophagist - Stabwound and that you would like him to play the drums AND sing a long, or you can the Nile - Cast Down The Heretic, both easy and playable songs.

Band is about friendship and gay hangouts, if you're not into that, you can't be a band member
Thanks guys. How would I go about kicking him out? Cause him and the guitarist are pretty good friends. So are me and the guitarist. I just fight with him all the time.
Is this what you want?
Tell him he's in a band, he has to play what's right for the song. A good drummer will be able to play something that's interesting to him no matter what genre it is.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Normally I'd leave a suggestion about talking it over, but this seems like a lost cause. Just kick him out of the band and tell him he's not mature enough to be in a band.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by slaptasticdave
Tell him he's in a band, he has to play what's right for the song. A good drummer will be able to play something that's interesting to him no matter what genre it is.

I think i'll try this. Thanks!
Is this what you want?
If you had a guitarist who just wanted to shred all the time, over every song, regardless of genre, would you think that he's a good guitarist? Now add the fact he doesn't want to play Smells Like Teen Spirit, because it isn't challenging enough. Does this person sound like the kind of band member you are looking for?

Well, that's the kind of drummer he is. By "not challenging enough", it basically means he's not going crazy all the time, and like a guitarist shredding all the time, it would sound like crap.

Maybe if you explain it in this way, he'll look at himself from a different perspective.

That said, a lot of beginner guitarists and drummers follow this path, and reach a dead end. Usually it stops when they play a gig and someone tells them how **** they were. Well, that's what happened to me anyway
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
So weird...

Hell, I'll play just about anything. Admittedly, stuff I don't normally listen to, I don't play very well, but what happened to just playing for the enjoyment?

Damn, I made a spam post with no advice. Just had to get that off my chest..
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Cianyx
Waaait..
He wants to perform blast beats AND play Green Day?

Green Day is all about blast beats and fast double-pedaling
These drummers are the worst. Believe me, all throughout high school, the only drummer I ever played with was exactly like that. If we weren't playing a Rush song or something that showed off the drums, he would just sit there and mope and playing the sloppiest crap I've ever heard. You know, GOD FORBID a song should be in 4/4 and just have a simple hi hat snare beat!

The annoying thing about it too is that his whole life since he was 8 or 9 he's been told that he was some drum prodigy, but now that we are 20 years old and in college, I don't know if I'm getting better or if he's just getting worse, but playing with him just sounds like shit now.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Compromise???

Play the Green Day song, if he'll play your song properly.

Sometimes having a drummer with different interests is a cool thing. We were playing Jump by Van Halen and our drummer put some cool pop-punk elements into the drumming and it mixed wonderfully.
Quote by snakesson
Green Day is all about blast beats and fast double-pedaling

i hope thats sarcastic...
I've noticed that most drummers are obnoxious. Like Steve-o from Sum 41, or Chad Smith kind of, My drummer, my new drummer, and a bunch of others I can't remember. My guess is obnoxious people like to hit things.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Tell him to change up the beat then?

I mean, as long as his new beat fits into the song and makes him happy, why the hell not? If he's incapable of this, tell him he sucks and boot his ass.

Also, Roland Drum Machines are the ****.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by jotty
I've noticed that most drummers are obnoxious. Like Steve-o from Sum 41, or Chad Smith kind of, My drummer, my new drummer, and a bunch of others I can't remember. My guess is obnoxious people like to hit things.

How is Chad Smith obnoxious? He's one of the most humble drummers who's willing to stay in the pocket and keep the groove.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by trey-col89
These drummers are the worst. Believe me, all throughout high school, the only drummer I ever played with was exactly like that. If we weren't playing a Rush song or something that showed off the drums, he would just sit there and mope and playing the sloppiest crap I've ever heard. You know, GOD FORBID a song should be in 4/4 and just have a simple hi hat snare beat!

Thank you! He thinks it's his show here. When we're not playing something that he wants to play and showcases him he plays INCREDIBLY sloppy. I can play better than him when he's doing it. London calling has a simple hi hat snare beat and he just wont play it cause its too "boring" and not "Challenging" enough. I definitley WOULD tell him to play something he likes that fits in the song, but his idea of fitting the song is like...shoving a traffic cone up a 1/4inch pvp pipe.
Is this what you want?
Atleast you have a drummer...

Seriously though, tell him to play for the song or your getting a drum machine or something, I think alot of drummers forget their role in the band, and if he's sloppy on the easier beats, how is he not sloppy doing more complex stuff?
Quote by slaptasticdave
How is Chad Smith obnoxious? He's one of the most humble drummers who's willing to stay in the pocket and keep the groove.

Don't get me wrong, he's a totally amazing drummer. And it's not that he's dumb, just more obnoxious than the rest. Like he's kind of big and he hits things hard.. And he just acts like it, I can't explain.
Equipment:
Guitars:
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Squier Stratocaster
Amps:
Peavey Bandit 112 80w
Peavey KB300 130w
Park Marshall 15w
Pedals:
Digitech Whammy IV
Mics:
Beyerdynamic M69TG
Quote by ccase
Drum machine

^ remind him he can be EASILY replaced with a $300 piece of machinery.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by Sylvanus
Atleast you have a drummer...

Seriously though, tell him to play for the song or your getting a drum machine or something, I think alot of drummers forget their role in the band, and if he's sloppy on the easier beats, how is he not sloppy doing more complex stuff?

Pretty much any drummer worth their salt will tell you that keeping a tasty, light groove at 66 BPM is WAAYYY harder than a bunch of fast fills. There are far fewer rhythmic reference points and much more room for error.
You can tell a good drummer by their stock 4/4 beats. point him in the direction of a mister John Bonham that man knows how to play for the song rather than for himself.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Kick the idiot out of the band. And for the record, not all drummer are stupid, im a drummer. ****.
give him some fills or drum breaks in the songs and see if that appeases him, if that doesn't work, talk it over with the other bandmate and potentially kick him out
Quote by ccase
Drum machine
Atleast those show up to practice.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
He should be challenging himself in his own time, being in a band is about making glorious sexy music, and this guy clearly fails.