Sometimes I see people talking about somehow hooking something into a computer, then plugging the bass cable into that. How would you go about doing that? I probably didn't help much with my description. :P
i think the best way to go about recording bass is to buy a bass drum mic like the sure beta 52 and mic your amp. plugging it directly into the computer generally gives you a terrible tone.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Go to Google and search like "Plugging bass to computer"

But you can mic up.

Or get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and plug in bass into the microphone input. But the signal will be weak and mono.

If you have a DI it will boost the volume and make it work able.

Easiest way is to buy a USB or Firewall Interface.
Super easy but somewhat expensive.

The Line 6 POD Studio UX1 is really good for this kind of thing.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodStuUX1/

There's a cheaper GX and more expensive UX2, but lacking or buffed with more bells and whistle. This interface is newer and updated from like a couple months ago. Try to buy the older version at a lower price. Check Ebay for that.

Just search!

This looks pretty cool.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GuitarLink/
what my friend does with his guitar is he plugs his guitar into his amp normally and then uses another cable to connect the headphone jack of the amp to the mic jack on his computer, that way you can still use your amp's eq
haven't really tried it with my bass but my friend's audio samples from his guitar seemed to have turned out really nicely...
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
what my friend does with his guitar is he plugs his guitar into his amp normally and then uses another cable to connect the headphone jack of the amp to the mic jack on his computer, that way you can still use your amp's eq
haven't really tried it with my bass but my friend's audio samples from his guitar seemed to have turned out really nicely...

What kind of cable would you use?
Quote by CBNJ
What kind of cable would you use?

It's a cable that you use to plug your ipod into your amp, you can use it in the mic input and get the EQ from your amp. I bought mine at a music store for about 6 bucks.
Quote by capslockisnton

if you have a multi effects you can use that - that's what I do,

but watch 'cos I've ruined a pair of PC speakers with a set up like this just for practice.

...granted, they were Terrible speakers in the 1st place...
Quote by cjlane
It's a cable that you use to plug your ipod into your amp, you can use it in the mic input and get the EQ from your amp. I bought mine at a music store for about 6 bucks.

I have that cable, so I tried hooking it up and it said "error opening sound device". I can hear the sound on the computer, just can't record.
Last edited by CBNJ at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by CBNJ
I have that cable, so I tried hooking it up and it said "error opening sound device". I can hear the sound on the computer, just can't record.

What program are you using? I used Audacity once and it worked, perhaps it doesn't work for bass, because the time I did it, it was with my guitar but I have directly input my bass into the computer before and that works too.
Quote by cjlane
What program are you using? I used Audacity once and it worked, perhaps it doesn't work for bass, because the time I did it, it was with my guitar but I have directly input my bass into the computer before and that works too.

I was using Audacity. After it failed, I just restarted my laptop then it worked for some reason. When it worked then, it was still muffled sounding, probably because I was using a guitar amp. :P I had a MUCH better sound when I just ran the cable from the bass into the mic plug-in.
look at the sansamp bass driver di if you really want to plug it directly into yoru computer instead of usign a mic. it serves as a really nice eq when used with your amp live too. i use the 3 channel programmable version and i love it.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Mutant Corn
Kristal is much better than Audacity...
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

What they were talking about is a USB interface...a cheap one wouldn't be hard to find.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-JamLab-Personal-Guitar-System?sku=241104

What's different about Kristal?