alright i just came back from guitar center and i realized, im not too good at guitar. Ive been playing for 2 years and i can sweep not too good though, i can play stuff like fade to black all the solos and stuff, but i go to guitar center and theres these kids that are younger than me shredding my face off. im gonna start practicing alot more now, but what should i practice? i know a few scales but whats some other stuff i should be learning?
Don't learn to play fast/shred. If you're plaing to impress people, at least learn to play melodic stuff that will get you girls, not just make random people on youtube think you're a "shredz0r god" or something.

If you just took what I said seriously, stop. If you're playing to impress people, you're playing for the wrong reasons. Play to enjoy yourself, and if people are impressed, then good for you.
alright i think i was a little misleading..... i really dont care if other people think im good or not, but i want to impress myself, i want to know that all this time,money,and effort is actually paying off, guitar is fun and everything, its just that idk what are some things to practice on guitar to help me learn more stuff?
play with style and attitude

the most famous guitarists dont shred their asses off, and most of them will tell you its cause they cant. but they play with all their soul and thats what people, real people, wanna see
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by crypticslaughtr
alright i think i was a little misleading..... i really dont care if other people think im good or not, but i want to impress myself, i want to know that all this time,money,and effort is actually paying off, guitar is fun and everything, its just that idk what are some things to practice on guitar to help me learn more stuff?

lots of scales
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by crypticslaughtr

Ah, ok.

Learn some more scales. They'll help your soloing ability a lot and help you get what you're feeling across through your music easier.
learn how to compose a song. instead of being one of those stupid mindless shredders who play phrygian modes at a 100 mph, try to be like john petrucci. a good guitar player, who can compose a song better then 99% of guitar players out there. i had this same issue. i just exploered different styles of music like jazz and classical and it all made sense..
Do you still enjoy playing guitar? If you do, then keep on doing it. There's always going to be someone better than you, so don't worry about it. Just practice more.
ok, let me put it this way

shredding: people who dont know how to play, who just solo to much and all they do is play way to fast not caring bout melody or time frame, jsut trying to look cool by playing crap metal.

there, it was harsh, and it will sting, but it is true
Try adding more delay.
dude i go into guitar center as well and see kids like 12 years old shredding, but you dont ever hear them playing chords, or anything else. if anything all i hear are bits and pieces of songs that they got the tab for from a guitar mag. there is way more to playing guitar than shredding your a$$ off. the most important thing about playing is personal anjoyment and as long as you have that there is nothing you need to worry about
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Quote by telecastrmastr
ok, let me put it this way

shredding: people who dont know how to play, who just solo to much and all they do is play way to fast not caring bout melody or time frame, jsut trying to look cool by playing crap metal.

there, it was harsh, and it will sting, but it is true

I disagree, well a little bit. Shredders (Malmsteen for example) know what they're doing but it's just a shame they use it for all the wrong reasons.
well it doesnt really matter what you can play, its more how you play it. its the difference between hearing a computer play guitar (guitar pro) and Hendrix, or Stevie Ray Vaughan playing. I learn a simple song, then (from memory) play it with all the emotion. The guitar can be so mutch more than a sound producing thing. Listen to the song Lenny by SRV and youl know what i mean.
Blues man. IMHO if you cant play blues you cant play metal. plus its fun too.
Quote by DimeLvR
Blues man. IMHO if you cant play blues you cant play metal. plus its fun too.

Agreed, every guitar player should learn the blues. It helps with theory and is good way to let it all out.
ahhh i see wat u guys mean about blues, i just learned a blue scale forgot wat its called, and just improvising over a bass&drum beat was incredible, i think u guys just helped me branch out right now , thanks!!