it seems like i never want to play bass anymore, sure i just bought a new guitar, but still, i just dont feel like playing bass, and when i play bass in jazz band i don't really get as giddy as i used to. when ever i pick it up i just don't feel like playing, i know so many scales, arpagios, and everything and it just isn't fun playing bass anymore. any suggestions on what to do?
Try adding more delay.
well i already write my own music, and thanks delirium, that may help, i figure i'll play my strat for a while then i'll want to go play my bass, i tend to switch off between instruments alot
Try adding more delay.
Hello;

Maybe if you try and find other musicians with similar interests, and start a band with them. That way you'll have a constant goal, and you might rediscover why you picked it up in the first place. I know band members don't grow on trees, but I hope it helps anyway.

-Adam
ok, adam, i live in medford, oregon, the only musicians who aren't $#!% metal players are already IN my band.
Try adding more delay.
give it while.

it happens to me a lot.
comes back sowhere bewtween remembering all the **** you forget and learning it again
Perhaps learning a few of your favorite songs could help re-ignite the fire. If that's not the case, perhaps experiment with a few other techniques and styles of play, or simply stay away from it until you feel a desire to play it again. The latter seems to be working for me. My bass has been in the shop for two days(repairs and such), and I personally can't wait to get it back.
Hi.
Just wait until it's spring time; that's what I'm doing at least. I've noticed that I seem to lose a lot of motivation during the winter season. Just review what you've learned every once in awhile and you should be fine.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
listen to some songs you always loved and thought had awesome bass lines and just play off that. i had the same problem but i play a whole bunch of instruments. so drums got me back into the rhythm section stuff. also take a break.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
leave it for a while. you don't have to play.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^he does for jazz band. just ask to play some funky song. even when i was enthusiastic about bass in jazz band brickhouse always got me smiling.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
listen to new music and learn those songs.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Take a break. Do something else.

Have a friend with a guitar? Swap instruments for a couple weeks.

You'll eventually come back to it.
Quote by Captain Insano
Take a break. Do something else.

Have a friend with a guitar? Swap instruments for a couple weeks.

You'll eventually come back to it.

or, he might be meant to play the other instrument.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Buy a new bass, then you have to play it to justify buying it. Its ingenius!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I was in a rut for about a year and a half (out of 3 years of playing that's a long time). I needed to get inspiration and motivation from somewhere, because inner motivation just wasn't cutting it any more. I found classical music and realized what I was listening to before was crap compared to what's out there. I picked up a Bach book and over the past couple of weeks have been playing a lot and consistently. It's been a while since I've done that.

That's what you need to do; find something that makes you go, "Wow." It won't necessarily be an artist or a genre, it might just be an idea about music, an outlook, a philosophy etc. What also helped me out of my rut was when I came to grips with the fact that no one wants to hear what I'm playing. I figured out that I don't care, so I kept doing it and it's far less depressing.

I'm not saying the same exact stuff needs to happen to you, but you do need some form of exterior motivation. If need be, take a step back and analyse where you are, what you've been doing and what you want to do.
Like Randy Jackson said - make it hot.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
its just like when you lose interest in anything else. i lost interest in paintball. and remote control cars. and probably 50 other things.

if music is something you want to continue. especially bass. then learn a new technique. new music. find the hardest song you can and challenge yourself to learn it. then learn the rest of the songs on that album.
I play bass!
Learn more songs, harder and harder ones. One song that I am struggling with right now is Streetlight Manifesto's Forty Days, but that is also because he uses a five string and I only have four. Streetlight's early stuff isn't too difficult, but as they progress as a group and get new bassists they tend to get more and more difficult. An easy one that is always fun to play is Here's to Life.

I love Streetlight if you couldn't tell.

Just start lerning new songs in new genres. New styles of music and such. Alot cheaper (in fact it's free!) than buying a new bass.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
put it down for a week or so, put it in it's case and under the bed or something and forget about it.
Play some rock.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
1. Learn a complimentary instrument. My suggestion? Drums.

2. If you can afford to, go out and see someone playing live. Watching someone play your instrument, esp in a way you never considered, can be inspirational.

3. Give yourself and the instrument a break. I can relate somewhat to the jazz band issue. By the end of HS and 10 years of playing clarinet with a little tin general as the band teacher/orchestra leader, I was completely burnt and didn't enjoy playing. I put it aside for a year and then in college, decided to join the jazz band and found I really enjoyed playing, particularly with a teacher/ instructor who was an actual human being.
Give it some time, you'll get the feeling to play again.

When I got my guitar in October I went from playing bass 4 hours each day to playing bass 1 hour every few days. When I got my guitar amp I didn't play bass at all. I was honestly worried that my love for bass was diminishing. For some reason I got an odd hair and and ended up playing bass for a few hours yesterday and my fingers are almost too sore to type.