So today I decided to dig out my first electric, a Rogue ST-3 by Squier (thats right, a strat copy made by a copy company), for the hell of it. Lo and behold, as soon as I plug it in I find that it just doesnt work. No sound at all.

I checked the soldering, it all looks fine. No loose wires or anything of that sort. I made sure I wasnt using a broken guitar cable or anything. The only things I could think of would be that either the volume pot gave out or the pickups just died. This is a pretty low quality guitar and is most likely from the 90s, so I dont think the stock parts would last forever.

Does anybody have any idea of what could be the problem? I realize that this is kind of a stretch, but maybe some of you might have had the same problem at some point.
did you remove the jack, see if the two wires are secure?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Did you try adjusting the volume on the guitar?
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by jj1565
did you remove the jack, see if the two wires are secure?

Yep, every wire was soldered correctly and where it should be.

Quote by thebasshacker
Did you try adjusting the volume on the guitar?

I think this is sarcasm, but yes i did.
Pickups don't usually die... as they don't have active electronics... well, unless they are actives, like EMGs or duncan blackouts or similar.

I would suggest that you reflow all the solder joints, or at least any that look dodgy.

From there, start replacing parts, like the output jack, the pots, and the cap.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
when inserted, does the cable click in like this?

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
when inserted, does the cable click in like this?

Hmm. Never thought about that. I'll check it out and post back later.
I had a problem like this and it proved to be a faulty cable.
Try to push the cable in the jack really hard and if it works, it means that the cable didn't have good contact with the guitar (or the amp).

ps sorry for my bad english
Quote by Raoul_Duke_92
So today I decided to dig out my first electric, a Rogue ST-3 by Squier (thats right, a strat copy made by a copy company), for the hell of it. Lo and behold, as soon as I plug it in I find that it just doesnt work. No sound at all.

I checked the soldering, it all looks fine. No loose wires or anything of that sort. I made sure I wasnt using a broken guitar cable or anything. The only things I could think of would be that either the volume pot gave out or the pickups just died. This is a pretty low quality guitar and is most likely from the 90s, so I dont think the stock parts would last forever.

Does anybody have any idea of what could be the problem? I realize that this is kind of a stretch, but maybe some of you might have had the same problem at some point.

Ummm fender owns squier I believe so its basically a cheap fender with a different name.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by kyle33093
fender owns squier

yes, obviously they do.

Squier BY Fender

Squier £90

Fender £189 at its cheapest

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

In response to jj1565's post, yes it looks like that. If by that you mean that the bump from the jack is touching the groove on the cable.
Try turning the pots back and forth fast about 20 times and see if sound starts working or if you at least get a crackle...if so its them.
Alright. After fiddling around I've found that I do get feedback, so the pickups probably arent dead as I previously thought the might have been. The problen must be in the parts like a broken pot or a faulty jack.