can someone reccomend the best SS and head and cab? i would go tube but the facts of replacing tubes, high voltages, and fragility scare me a bit. i look at a marshall head and it was ok. is there any SS heads and cabs that compare to tubes?
Tube amps are not as fragile as you believe. See this video for evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

Replacing tubes is basic maintenance and will only cost you $50 a year with average use. SS amps, while more efficient, also have the same "high voltage" running through them. It's not like you're going to get shocked by playing through an amp - that's what the grounding rod in the plug is for.

If you want a really good SS head, however, look into the Hughes and Kettner Zentera, Sunn Beta Lead, Peavey XXL, and Tech 21 amps. If you're also interested in modeling amps, look into the Line 6 Vetta II and HD147.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Put up the flame shield.

But seriously, don't believe everything you've heard. You only need to replace tubes once a year if you play a fair bit, even two years if you don't play that often. You personally wouldn't do it if you are too afraid, you would get an amp technician to do it.

They aren't fragile at all.

High voltages? Are you going to be sticking your hand int he back of the amp? If so, you don't deserve any amp.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
why the flame shield? there is a such thing as a non-tube amp that doesn't sound like crap. not all SS amps are extremely low end.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
No one mentioned Randall yet? They make the best SS amps IMO.
I leik music
well my banis a bunch of 16 year old kids. we have the money right now for some new stuff but weve seem other bands like us rough housing and droping amp heads shattering all the tubes. but i much preffer the sound of tubes. and my cousing got shocked when replacing tubes from a marshall. a capacitor stored some charge and it burnt his hand across the top pretty bad.

all things concidered your are right, i could just have technicians do it instead of myself. too bad im one of those guys who would rather learn it himself then pay to have it done XD.

so how do high quality ss compare in price to high quality tubes?
I fell with my friends Fender Bass Amp, hurt my knee and left middle finger. It's a tube...still played like new.

It dropped like 5 feet and slid, plus I was running with it.
^^ His comments about replacing tubes and whatnot.

Also the head and cab thing. There are also wastes of money, that are also SS amps, but same goes for tubed.

I've played a few Randall SS combos that were pretty nice. Have a look at them. Also the Randall tube combo (RT50 I think) is quite a good amp for someone on a budget. You could add a 2x12 to that if you wanted.

That's all I can think of. I haven't played many great SS amps tbh, But I am sure there are plenty out there, but don't just go for the head and cab straight away. You said you looked at the Marshall, I'm guessing it was an MG. There are WAY better amps out there for the same price, if not less.

EDIT: Prices are very different. You can buy used tube heads for pretty cheap though. Google is your friend. Looking for a new amp is always fun. Also, your cousin would've been replacing tubes on a JCM800 or 900. He should've know about the capacitor. Another thing...I learnt how to retube my amp, and it's amazingly simple, yet all amps are different. Some you have to take components out, such as the capacitor in the JCM900/800s.

Keep looking. How much do you want to spend?
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
Last edited by b00m_ at Jan 11, 2009,
good (currently made) ss:
line6 Vetta ii, hd147
h&k zentera

Edit:
Note: these amps cost an arm and a leg.
Last edited by saltysnail at Jan 11, 2009,
well i dont let my wallet decide so lets say no limit on price. but again im not going to go to a website to get a custom made amp that comes from a 75 year old sound expert in some crazy country like lawawithowania that takes 6 months to build because he only uses super conduction rare metals adn then in turn takes 500 dollars and 2 weeks to ship on extreme padded airplane shipping.

so ya anything you cant get from GC or musicians friend would be good.
Well if you don't mind caring for your amp, get a tube amp. Depending on what you play will determine what amp you get. What will you be playing? Gigs? Home use?
Quote by atr5557
Styles?

Mesas are nice and versatile, though slightly over priced some would say. My personal favorite guitar center amp was the peavey JSX. A head is like $1500 new, though going used is always an option.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by b00m_
Well if you don't mind caring for your amp, get a tube amp. Depending on what you play will determine what amp you get. What will you be playing? Gigs? Home use?

we play rock style simialr to AC/DC and Guns & Roses. we play both gigs and at home. there really wont be a big issue on low volume distortion at home for tubes. we will still have to be heard over drums.

i liked the peavey JSX is it just as good as the 6505? i think marshall is OP but i may be wrong.
Well you don't want a 6505 for rock. I played one whilst I was in NZ and it didn't get the tone you would want for AC/DC rock.

JCM900 would be a good option with a decent cab. Pretty versatile IMO. I have a DSL100. I love it. Can get pretty heavy, but I can get a really really good modern rock sound to a nice old rock crunch.

I'm off to work. Good luck. Go used if you want a tube head to save on the cash. JCM900's go for around a grand, even less on eBay in Aus.
Quote by atr5557
peavey classic 30 or ENGL screamer/thunder
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
HELL YEA !

You sir made a good choice those amp are incredible. I dont mean incredible like a peavey 5150, incredible like it blow your ****ing head off.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK