So I recently came into an inheritance of a wonderfully beat up acoustic from the '70s, completely covered in stickers and strung with 20 year old strings. Tonight I decided to take the strings off, clean the fretboard, and put a new set on. Now I took the bridge pins out with some difficulty (I guess there was alot of dirt built up in them) and I tried restringing it and realized that the bridge pins can be pulled out easily by hand. Is there any way to fix this or is the guitar doomed?
Dickless.
The pins should not be that hard to pull out. Once a guitar is in tension you don't even need to bridge pins to hold the string in place. If they come out way to easily then you may want to check the humidity as a lack of humidity can cause this kind of problem.
Chances are, you're not doing it right. The pins are held in place by the ball end of the string pressing against them. Drop the ball end through the hole, insert the pin slightly and pull on the string. The ball end should pull tight against the bottom of the hole and be prevented from pulling out by the pin. Continue pushing the pin in, until it seats. Once it has seated, you can release the string and continue to string the guitar as normal.
No such luck, The pin slides right out when I try to tune it. I'll bring it to the shop tomorrow, Do they sell bridge pins that are slightly wider?

Quote by KG6_Steven
Chances are, you're not doing it right. The pins are held in place by the ball end of the string pressing against them. Drop the ball end through the hole, insert the pin slightly and pull on the string. The ball end should pull tight against the bottom of the hole and be prevented from pulling out by the pin. Continue pushing the pin in, until it seats. Once it has seated, you can release the string and continue to string the guitar as normal.

I know I'm doing it right, I restring my normal acoustic all the time. I think the wood of the bridge may have been messed up a little bit.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jan 11, 2009,
Same problem with mine. Take out a pin and if the pin has a flat bottom sand it so it has an angle is like this /. I just restrung my guitar like ten mintues ago no problem sense my pins have been sanded.
I'm pretty sure they're all the same size. How's your humidity? Like the other poster mentioned, solid top acoustics are prone to problems when the relative humidity is low. If your RH is below 40%, I'd recommend getting either a room humidifier (best option) or a soundhole humidifier and use it to maintain 40% to 55% RH.
You can get slightly larger pins but you don't need them. All you have to do is hold the pin in while restringing the guitar and humidify it. You should see improvement. Just hold the pin as you are tightening the string and it shouldn't come out. You should not have to bring your guitar to the shop yet. I would restring it doing as I said and then humidify it. If that does not work then bring it to a shop if it bothers you that much. You can get larger pins from Bob Colosi if you have a caliper to measure your current pins. Good luck
You should just put a thin layer of masking tape around each pin, that'll thicken them. If that doesn't work, you should take it somewhere and have it looked at. I find masking tape fixes so many instruments in many different ways. I fixed a hi-hat with a wad of masking tape once!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If you have a humidifier like in your basement and you have a vent leading down to the basement and you left it open would that work?
Guitars- Ibanez rgx digital snow camo
Amplifiers- Randall 125 watt halfstack ( payed 350 for the stack )
Quote by warlockboy
If you have a humidifier like in your basement and you have a vent leading down to the basement and you left it open would that work?

Yes it will still work.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
What may have happened is that whoever changed the strings last really jammed the pins in there, and since they were pushed in too far the holes were widened. Be aware that, as mentioned, pressure from the strings hold the pins in place... they do not need to be pushed in hard.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself