Page 1 of 5
This is about Chris Langan, the smartest man in the world, according to his IQ, which is around 195, which is 30% more than Einstein.

My class of Science And Societies studied him and his life, because we are currently reading the book, Outliers ( great book ) and he is mentioned, so we thought it would be interesting seeing how he is the smartest man in the world yet, no one has heard of him.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfbUhs2PVY&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0gjyXG5O0&feature=related

I personally think he is very self-centered and that he should have taken more risks in his life, instead of just sitting by himself in his corners which his ideas.

Thoughts ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Shoot! I read Outliers too. It had an interesting thesis, and it was very entertaining.
Stephen Hawking is apparently around 250 IQ.

Like it was said though, IQ isn't accurate to measure intelligence- he's a bar bouncer ffs.
You guys need to read up about him before talking.

For an example, in high school, he skipped school and stayed in the library. When he had tests/exams he would just skip through his books and ace the tests.

For his SATs, he got 100% on it, and managed to fall asleep during the middle of the exam.

I'll try to find the passage where they talk about it in the book, and write it up here later.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace

Like it was said though, IQ isn't accurate to measure intelligence- he's a bar bouncer ffs.

Stephen Hawking's IQ is not 250.

IQ is supposed to test your knowledge of modern times and it also tests your logic, and how fast you can calculate things.

You guys should really watch the videos before talking, you'll know more about what you are actually talking about.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace

Although it's true that IQ isn't an accurate measure of intelligence, your job has nothing to do with it either. Lots of smart people are underachievers. Not every intelligent person is a scientist or professor or what have you.

Quote by illuminatiano

IQ is supposed to test your knowledge of modern times and it also tests your logic, and how fast you can calculate things.

You guys should really watch the videos before talking, you'll know more about what you are actually talking about.

Also your age is a factor. As you get older it goes down, regardless of your ability to take the test.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Last edited by merfsullivan at Jan 11, 2009,
George W. Bush is roughly tied with Hawking
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Intelligence means nothing without knowledge.

He is pretentious and self-righteous. An IQ of 135 is HARDLY in the toilet. He is discredited by calling Charles Darwin"in the toilet".

This reminds me far too much of Good Will Hunting.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by illuminatiano
You guys need to read up about him before talking.

For an example, in high school, he skipped school and stayed in the library. When he had tests/exams he would just skip through his books and ace the tests.

For his SATs, he got 100% on it, and managed to fall asleep during the middle of the exam.

I'll try to find the passage where they talk about it in the book, and write it up here later.

He didn't get a college education.

In the book Malcolm Gladwell talks about a balance between practical intelligence and knowledge intelligence. Chris Langan did not have adequate practical intelligence.

Plus, he doesn't look a thing like I imagined him.

Also I think the claim being "closest to absolute truth than any other man" is a little ridiculous.
Quote by illuminatiano

I guess the big question is if he is so smart why he is a bouncer beating drunk morons up and cleaning up puke in between opening and closing a door.
Quote by sam_brault
George W. Bush is roughly tied with Hawking

please tell me your joking?
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Daniel Tammet>Chris Langan
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Well instead of arguing other people being smarter than him, why don't you guys watch the videos of him and reap up about him ?

He explains that he was poor and noone cared enough for him to send him to university when he should have.
Wait, the wiki page says he is a member of an organization that supports Intelligent Design.

He is even further discredited.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by illuminatiano
Well instead of arguing other people being smarter than him, why don't you guys watch the videos of him and reap up about him ?

I am watching the video
But Daniel Tammet learned Icelandic in a week, speaks at least 8 languages, and memorized pi to 22,000 places also in a week.
Youtube him
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by illuminatiano

He explains that he was poor and noone cared enough for him to send him to university when he should have.

My point exactly. A genius wouldn't have needed any of that crap. Refer to the list of child prodigies. By his sob story- the guys who go to prison for life and learn to recite the word and definition of anything in Websters dictionary at random are also geniuses.

He can check my ID and clean my puke up any day. lol
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies

Here is alist of people who were all smarter than Langan in their respective fields before the age of 13.

Shit, I had no idea jordan rudess got a scholarship to a mucis college at age 9.

explains a lot actually
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Truman Henry Safford calculated 365^6 in under a minute. Im pretty sure this bouncer is pale in comparison.

BTW this was when he was 10.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Here: Read about a real genius. Not this intelligent design believing bar buffoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis

With an estimated ratio IQ of 250-300[1], he frequently appears in random fact lists as one of the most intelligent people who ever lived.

Instead of the more common disciplinary approach to education, Sidis's parents believed in nurturing a precocious and fearless love of knowledge, for which they were criticized. Nevertheless, the young Sidis could read the New York Times at 18 months,[3] reportedly taught himself eight languages (Latin, Greek, French, Russian, German, Hebrew, Turkish, and Armenian) by age eight, and invented another, which he called Vendergood.

edit : read about this guy- If Langan is the smartest man in the world we are going down hill quite steeply...
Last edited by MeltingWaxFace at Jan 11, 2009,

It's actually pushing 300.
Much higher than the estimates of anyone such as Archimedes.
And much higher than Einstein.

Hawking is still the winner.
I watched all three videos and this guy infuriates me to no end. He has to be one of the most arrogant people I've seen. I don't care if he passed his tests by sitting in the library, the reason that this guy has failed at life is because he is a retard.
Intelligence coupled with a superiority complex makes a person an idiot.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
I watched all three videos and this guy infuriates me to no end. He has to be one of the most arrogant people I've seen. I don't care if he passed his tests by sitting in the library, the reason that this guy has failed at life is because he is a retard.
Intelligence coupled with a superiority complex makes a person an idiot.

this.

While watching the videos I thought about how funny it would be to put this guy in a room full of other geniuses and just watch him slowly get infuriated to the point of muscle head rage whilst the prodigies ripped him apart with superior intellect.
Quote by Rox0r713
Is it just me, or does he shirk all responsibility for his life, his ill-fortunes, etc.? In those videos, he has an excuse or explanation for everything.

I agree.
Chris Langan, smartest man in the world, bar bouncer.

All the genuis in the world is nothing if you waste it.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Wait, the wiki page says he is a member of an organization that supports Intelligent Design.

He is even further discredited.

Read further. He says that he believes in evolution.
He's American. Not a chance.

Sorry had to be done. I would love to have an IQ like that.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Mine's better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAnFAxMcvg

Approximate IQ of 250
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Last edited by yoshixxx7 at Jan 11, 2009,
this guy has a lot of the same beliefs i do...

Asked about creationism, Langan has said:

"I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible."
Page 1 of 5